** BABA FAREED JI - Short Inspirational Story **

Baba Fareed Ji

By Manvir Singh Khalsa (sher_panjabi@hotmail.com)

Parents give blessings to their children.

We ask Waheguru to make our children rich and well off.

We ask Waheguru to make our children successful in their work and jobs.

Which parent doesn’t want this for their children?

We ask Waheguru that may our children make a name for themselves in the world. But we should also ask that may our children have love for the Guru. May they love the Guru that much , that without the Guru they don’t feel their life is complete.

Baba Fareed Ji’s mother, Bibi Mariam, said to her son as a very young child, “Oh my sn, do simran (meditate on the Lord)”. As any innocent child, Baba Fareed Ji would ask, “Ma, if I do Simran, then what will I get in return.” His mother replied, “The people who Simran, God gives those people sweets to eat.”

Children are drawn to eat sweets and love to eat them. Baba Fareed Ji would cross his legs, close his eyes and do Simran. His mother would put some sweets in to a bowl and put it front of him. Baba Fareed Ji would open his eyes after doing smran and see the sweets in front of him. “Look ma, God has given me sweets to eat.” He would then happily eat the sweets and his mother would look at him and smile.

Baba Fareed Ji looked forwards to doing Simran and being rewarded with sweets by God. For a time he would keep doing Simran and his mother would each time put sweets in front of him and when he closed his eyes so that when he opened his eyes, he could eat them.

But one day Baba Fareed Ji, opened his eyes and didn’t look at the sweets. He didn’t eat the

sweets but still looked happy and content. His mother asked, “Fareed, today you haven’t eaten the sweets God has given you.” Baba Fareed Ji answered, “O Ma, once you taste the Name of God, then all other sweets in the world taste bland.”

‘Fareeda, sakar khand nivaath gur, maakiyau maanjhaa dudh. Sabhey vastoo  miteeyaa(n) rab naa pujan tudh… Fareed: sugar cane, candy, sugar, molasses, honey and buffalo’s milk – all these things are sweet, but they are not equal to You (Waheguru)’ (Ang 1379, SGGS).
When we praise Baba Fareed Ji, we always praise his mother. With a little incentive of giving sweets, we can see the blessings bestowed on Baba Fareed Ji. Do today’s mothers give their children sweets to eat? Yes they do! Three times a day mothers give their children different types of sweet foods and sweet dishes to eat.

But today’s mothers don’t say,

“If you wake up and say ‘Waheguru’ and going to sleep say ‘Waheguru, then you can have sweets.”

“First say ‘fateh’ to your grandparents and then I will give you your sweets.”

“I’ll give you sweets, if you come with me to do the Gurdwara and help me do some sewa.”

However many blessing we give our children, that “when you get older may you become successful, may your name be high, and may you rule the world”. But with our blessings nothing can happen, until Guru Ji showers his blessings upon us.

Do you wish your children to receive the blessings of Guru Ji? If we want our children to respect their elders, then it is also our responsibility to connect our children to Guru Ji. We can do this by reading them sakhis and stories about our Gurus. “The stories of one’s ancestors make the children good children” (Ang 951, SGGS).

Give them these types of blessings and

encourage them that, “O son, you go to the Gurdwara and sit in the sangat (congregation).” A young child can read so many school books. What can a child not read Sri Jap Ji Sahib? Yes they can. But if we haven’t done it ourselves, how our children going to do it?

But no! Until a child doesn’t get the blessings of Guru Ji nothing will happen.

‘poota maata ki aasees. nimak naa bisrau tum kau har har; sadhaa bhajho jagdeesh... O son, this is your mothers hope and prayer, that you may never forget the Lord, Har, Har, even for an instant. May you ever vibrate upon the Lord of the Universe” (Ang 469, SGGS). Mata Ganga Ji, Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji’s mother blessed her son that, ‘May you never forget the Lord, Har, Har, even for an instant.”

Even before they go to school, we should inspire our children to say, “Waheguru Waheguru” going to school and coming back from school, only then will their journey to and from school becoming safalaa, fruitful. Then the Guru’s blessings will work. Then in life they will only happiness and more happiness. Those children will give their parents respect and they will build respect for themselves in the world as well.

This is the true blessing. Have you given your child the true blessing? Be inspired and inspire others. May Waheguru bless you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...