What does it mean to be a Sikh in the north-east? We found out

Premi5

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/lifestyle/3664215/what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-sikh-in-the-north-east-we-found-out/

What does it mean to be a Sikh in the north-east? We found out

410dfbba461627c78b5fa3ba8e34a0ee?s=64&d= By Ellie House
November 20, 2021, 6:00 a

The soft vibration of drums as hands skim the surface, and voices blend together.

I know not what the words mean, but the steady chanting seems to gather me in its calm.

The air shimmers, and my breathing gently slows.

White sheets cover a grey carpet as three men continue to pray.

Eyes closed, legs folded and bare feet tucked under – it is believed that meditation is the way to God. Or rather, to oneness.

There is no grand finale, rather a natural ending as the music fades away.

But unlike your standard yoga class, there is no rush to the door or fumbling for keys.

We slowly retreat from the room, careful not to turn our back to The Guru Granth Sahib (the holy book of scriptures) which has been placed on a raised platform.

PGX-101121-01-014_41447543-oe6z3l88-846x The holy scriptures are kept upon a throne

The beautiful wooden structure, which is called a Takht or Palki Sahib, meaning a throne, sits under a canopy, which is called Chandoa Sahib.

The rich colours of gold and red hint of the importance, as do the beautiful flowers carefully arranged in vases. The gleaming platform was made by the expert hands of Manmohan Sangri.

He dismisses the praise, keen to point out that everyone volunteers their services in the community.

The holy scriptures of Guru Granth Sahibare are kept in a special room of their own, known as the Sukhasan, at night time, and carried in procession to the main hall at the start of the day’s worship.

We head back through to the langar hall, or community kitchen, where enticing smells make my stomach rumble.

The food is dished out by Geeta Singh, and we sit cross legged on the floor to eat after the meal has been blessed with prayers.

PGX-101121-01-019_41447536-1zhcttrgd-846 Geeta Singh serves food in the community kitchen

Manmohan jokes that his knees are not quite up to the task, and opts to sit at the table, but there is still a great feeling of togetherness.

There is mixed vegetable curry with paneer (Indian Cottage cheese), daal tadka, fluffy rice, raita which is a cooling yogurt, salad and sewaiya, a dessert which is wonderfully sweet

Anyone can come to the langar, regardless of religion, gender or background.

The Sikh community asks no questions, for one of their most basic foundations is based on the principle of equality.

This is Aberdeen Gurudwara, where the Sikh community come together to worship and celebrate.

EE-CJS-070202-5-3_34662275-1ui6xwh8s-940 The Aberdeen Gurudwara was previously a nursery, and underwent a revamp.

I am ashamed to admit that I did not realise the building was here, surrounded by high-rise flats in the Seaton area of Aberdeen.

Previously a children’s nursery, it has been completely revamped by Aberdeen Sikh Sangat, a charity which hopes to spread the word of Guru Nanak across the region.

PGX-101121-01-012_41447544-18ffwka9s-846 The temple used to be a children’s nursery.

The community recently celebrated Bhandi Chor Diwas ( meaning prisoner-release) which falls on the same day as the Diwali festival, celebrating the act of selfless liberation of 52 Hindu Princes by the 6th Sikh Guru Hargobind Rai.

It is comparable to Christmas in terms of importance for Sikhs, Hindus, Jains and even some Buddhists

But what does it mean to be Sikh in the north-east, and to come together at the most northerly Gurudwara in the UK?

I spent the evening with members of the Aberdeen Sikh community to find out.

• The title was changed to What does it mean to be a Sikh in the north-east? We found out