Dilrubh

Jagmeet

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Can anyone give me brief desciption of this instrument? I have have been told that this instrument was invented by our own father, Guru Gobind Singh Maharaj. But when i did a search on this (google and yahoo) i found very little recognition of this or infact any on this instruments invention by Guru ji on non-sikh websites.

Could anyone enlighten me on this forum?

And does anyone have any gurbani kirtan of this intrument?

many thanks,

bhul chuk mafi (i believe i may have made mistakes in this post!) blush.gif

humbly urs, ^_^

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

dilruba is a cross between sarangi and sitar.

this is what i got from an indian website...T

he dilruba and the esraj are very similar indian classical instruments and share the same roots with sarangi, but they are more recent (XIXth century).

The instruments has a neck similar to sitar, but smaller, with sitar frets and sympathetic strings. The bridge is seated on a skin stretched over the body of the instrument.

Most of the dilruba and esraj have 3 iron or bronze playing strings and 11 sympathetic strings. The playing strings are played with a violin bow, or a sarangi bow (with convex's tension) held in the right hand.

The main difference between the intruments is seen in the pegs: they are in wood for the esraj and of guitar type for the dilruba.

Listen to the dilruba...

http://makar-records.com/siteus/frameinstrument.html

(if it goes to the main site, click on dilruba)

the best jatha to look at or listen to is amrik singh zakhmi (though his dilruba player has formed a new jatha). sant anoop singh has dilruba players in his jatha as well now as well.

gustaphi maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

ive also heard an instrument called the tauss which was played by guru gobind singh ji. this instrument is supposedly dying out n the only person i ve heard playing it is Devinder and Mohinder Pratap singh's jatha, im really interested in looking for this instrument so if anyone has any knowledge of where i could obtain one i would be most thankful!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!