Bhog: "DEGH PARVAAN HOVE" - Kirpan used to bless..

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

1/ In Ardaas we say:

"May Karaah Parshaad Di Degh be accepted (Parvaan Hove)"

What do we do?

Slap bam, a Singh get outs his Kirpaan, and starts making a noise while doing Kirpaan Bhet (blessing the Parshaad by touching it with the Kirpaan).

This means:

1/ The Singhs mind is NOt in the Ardaas but rather he is waiting for the Giani to say "DEGH PARVAAN HOVE"

2/ He disturbs others when doing the Kirpan Bhet

3/ So is Guru Jee accepting the Parshaad or is the Singh with Kirpaan accepting and blessing it????

4/ How do we know Guru Jee has accepted the Parshaad?? How do we know it is ParvaaN?

We know the Degh is Parvaan through the HUKAMNAMA (the Guru's edict). After listening to the Ardaas and Hukamnama (with pyaar and respect) only then one should do Kirpaan Bhet to the Karaah Parshaad.

2/ Why do we take 5 servings of Parshaad out first?

- That is to be given to 5 Amritdhari Singhs who represent GURU PANTH

- If 5 Singhs/Singhness are not available then remembering the Panj Pyaare of 1699 one puts the 5 servings back inside the Bowl and mixes it in with the rest of the Degh

3/ Why put Parshaad in a small bowl (Kohli) and put it next to Guru Jee?

- some people think that parshaad is for Guru Jee. However, this can't be true! Because if it is Guru Jee's parshaad then how come the Giani Ji eats it!!!! Our Guru is Shabad Guru Granth Sahib Ji&

#33; THe Parshaad in the bowl near Guru Ji is kept aside for the Singh/Singhnee doing Chaur Sahib di Sewa. So that when the Diwaan is over, he or she has got parshaad to eat.

4/ Parshaad - what does it mean?

Parshaad = blessing. Degh is the Guru's blessings shared with everyone irrespective of beliefs, religion, colour, age, sex or distinction.

Sources: Prof Principle Satbir Singh, Book: Sau Sawaal, & Sikh Rehat Maryada

Paaji - how do u know that the Parshaad has been accepted???

What's point asking Guru Jee's aagiyaa/permission to bless the parshaad - when you are already gonna bless it yourself!!????

Through the Hukamnaama - Maharaaj speaks to us and blesses us. Then we know that the Parshaad has been Parvaan/accepted.

Thats my vichaar - Prof. Principle Satbir Singh (Sau Sawaal, 1983) also mentions that the Sri Akaal Takht Sahib has issued quiet few hukamnama stating the Kirpan Bhet shud be after the Hukamnama

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Good post. We should aim that all Gurdwaras run according to the Akal Thakt Marayada, and getting rid of small misconceptions like these is the best place to start.

I was also unsure about this. When I am given Dheg Di Seva, I usually do Kirpan Bhet just after Jaikaraa at the end of ardaas. But what Veer Sher_Panjabi has said make total sense. From now on, when I am given this seva, I will do kirpan bhet after listening to and trying to undertand Guru Jee's Hukamnama.

Sony jee, as veer sher_panjabi has said, Dheg is parvaan after the Hukamnama with Guru Jees Blessings. Dheg will always be Parvaan in Guru Jee's Hazooree. The answer to knowing when the Dheg has been Parvaan, is when Guru Jee speaks to us through Shabad. We have got to get out of the habit of thinking that Guru Jee will say "Parvaan" or "Not parvaan". Shabad Guru is eternal and is the complete truth, therfore there will only ever be one answer, and that answer will be true no matter what.

Hope that makes sense

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

spot on paaji! totally agree.

its not whether parvaan or not parvaan.... we should wait for guru jee to speak to us and give his blessings then bless the parshaad

guru jee speaking to us and us listening, acknowledge and accepting hukam = that is the sign for us to now do Kirpan Bhet and bless Parshaad

it may seem trivial -- but a lot of youngsters get confused by loads of trivial things adding up and confusing them

Fateh,

That makes sense, thanks guys. Just another question about Parshaad, there is a Gurughar here, where they dont do kirpan bhait, I think its Nanaksar Gurudwara. Why do they not do this?

pul chuk maaf

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Unfortunately, a number of Gurdwaras (especially those headed by Babe or Sants) are not following the Panth Parvaan Sikh Rehat Maryada.

Anything not done in accordance to Sikh Rehat Maryada is not PANTH PARVAAN (not accepted by the Panth).

Nanaksar Gurdware (no disrespect to Baba Nand Singh Ji - but referring to present day Nanaksar Gurdware):

1/ Don't have nishaan sahibs

2/ Don't do jaikaare at end of ardaas (saying bole so nihaal...)

3/ Don't make langar in the gurdwara - people bring langar from home and distribute it

This is their own man-made Maryada - nothing to do with Panth and not accepted by Panth

WJKKWJKP!

The sevadaar should do Bhog when the Giani Singh Ji says

Aink pRkwr Bojn bhu kIey bhu ibMjn imstwey ]

"anik prakaar bhojan bahu keeae bahu binjan misataae || Karee Paaksaal Soch Pavitaraa Huni Laavahu Bhogu Hari Raei||2||"

This translates to....

I have prepared all sorts of foods in various ways, and all sorts of sweet deserts.

I have made my kitchen pure and sacred. Now, O my Sovereign Lord King, please sample my food. ||2||

Therefore, we are asking Maahaaraaj through a Gurbaanee Tukk to bless the Parshaad there and then! If we are asking Guroo saahib to do something for us then it should be done straight away. We should not make Maahaaraaj wait if we have asked him to bless the Parshaad straight away.
At the start/Arambh and end/Bhog of Sehaj Paath, Karah Parshad made o

f

clarified (un salted) butter/ghee is to be made. At the start of the Paath, the Ardas and Hukamnama must be recited followed by a minimum of five verses of Sri Japji Sahib, before distributing Karah Parshad. Upon completion of the Sehaj Paath, fives verses of Sri Japji Sahib and the last Salok (‘Pavan Guru…’) are to be

recited after the Rag Mala and Ardas performed.

When the person performing Ardas says,

krI pwkswl soc pivqRw huix lwvhu Bogu hir rweyy ]2]

"Food has been prepared with purity, please do Bhog to the food and bless it Lord."

(SGGSJ Ang 1266)

Upon hearing this verse, the Blade of the Kirpan is simultaneously ‘placed’ into the Parshad and out.

Taken From Gurmat Rehat Maryada

Hope this helps....

WJKKWJKP

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Forgive me paaji! When talking about Rehat we refer to the PANTHIC REHAT APPROVED BY SRI AKAAL TAKHT!

Damdami Taksal Rehat is as it says - made by Damdami Taksal.

Paaji, there is only one rehat.

though you personally may believe in it. if so - fair enuff. but when referring to rehat on a sangat level please refer to the Panth Parvaan Maryada.

Bhul chuk maaf