Rehat Accroding to Akal Takhat Amritsar

Waheguru JI Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I wnat to know about the Rehat According to

Akal Takhat Sahib . some people use to talk in this manner

that ATS allowed to eat Non veg . but as i also Amrit Chakia frm ATS Amritsar

i never heared something like this frm any Sewadar there .

but people use to say this ATS allowed to have Non verg .

So being a senior to me . plz help me to know the rehat .

becouse its very hard to get the right information even frm the sewadar

present in ATS amritsar . they all have their Different Oppion to this

topic. so put ur view

Bhul Chuk Maaf :nihungsmile:

Guest rsingh

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Basically u want to know if we are allowed to eat meat according to panthic rehit maryada.

Well the Panth says you are not allowed to eat Kuttta, and it is described as Hallal.

Personally I see it as any rittchually killed meat, please understand I am not saying you are allowed or you are not allowed to eat meat.

I have been told by Gursikhs that when somebody takes Khadai bhatai da Amrit every thing becomes clear. whetheer one can eat something or not. they say the shakti of Amrit is so powerfull that you will make your own mind up and these things are minor.

In my personal experience these things become minor when you have sangat of Gursikhs. I am not amritdharhi but from my experience I have learnt the sangat is important and vichar of gurmat. eating meat or not eating meat is something u need to decide.

I hope i have been able to remain impartial.

pull Chuk maff

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

When I took Amrit at Sri Akaal Takhat Sahib, Amritsar in July 2003, the Panj Pyaare tell you the four Kurehats and clarify what that means.

One of the Panj Pyaare who told the Sangat taking Amrit the Rehat said:

"THe Four Kurehats are:

1. Kesha Di Beadbee (dishonouring of the hair)

... includes trimming, shaving, colouring, dying the hair or dishnouring it any other form.

2. Par istree jaa par purash naal sang (physical relationship with a man or woman other than one's wife or husband).

3. Tamaacoo jaa hor koyee nashaa nehee chhaknaa (not to take/smoke/eat tobacco or use any intoxicants)

... this includes "Sukhaa", which is "Bhang" (cannabis) (this was told by Panj pyaare).

4. Kuttaa Nehee Chhaknaa (not to eat Kuttaa)

... "Kuttaa O Maas Hai Jo Musulman Tareeqe naal vaddiyaa gayiaa hai" (not to eat Kuttaa, <admin-profanity filter activated> means that meat which is slaughtered in accordance to Muslim rites/ ritualistic way)."

The above Rehat also is the same found in Sikh Rehat Maryada.

Hope that helps your question about Akaal Takhat Sahib.

Kurehat = that thing which in any circumstance or situation a Sikh is not allowed to commit, and if one does commit, he or she will be excommunicated from the Khalsa and will have to be re-admited by going before the Panj Pyaare (in Guru Granth Sahib Ji's hazoori) and re-taking Amrit.

Sher_Punjabi,

What great fortune to have been blessed with the gift at Akal Takht. I have heard rumours that they do not read full anand sahib when doing amrit sanchaar there? Is this true?

Please could you let us know from beggining to end what the process was at Akal Takht, I have been wanting to find out for many years, please do let us know your experience at the Akal Takht Amrit Sanchaar

Amrit Sanchaar at Sri Akaal Takhat Sahib is carried out in accordance to Sikh Rehat Maryada.

1. You sit downstairs (main diwaan hall) at Sri Akaal Takhat Sahib tell you are called up by Panj Pyaare to take Amrit.

Those who wish to take Amrit walk upstairs.

We had to wait on the 1st flour where Maharaaj da Parkaash was for about 5 - 10 minutes.

While waiting people were few at time allowed to go upstairs (the top flour where Amrit Sanchaar was to take place). Panj Pyaare were askin people about Kakkaars and whether they were wearing correct Kachhera and wearing Kirpan etc while people walked up stairs.

2. Entering the upstairs Diwaan (right on top floor of Akaal Takhat Sahib) a Sewadaar stood there and told people that only those who wish to take Amrit are allowed inside. Anyone else must wait outside. Everyone was told to wear Kirpan visibly and that Kachhera must be visible (i.e. men had to remove pajama and trousers).

3. We sat in the Diwaan, did Matha Tekh to Guru ji and sat down. Men on one side, women on ther side. Sewadaars brough buckets of water to fill the Baataa.

4. Announcment was made by Panj Pyaare that those who wish to take Amrit - last chance... doors will be closed, if anyone does not wish to take Amrit then please leave Diwaan.

5. Panj Pyaare asked Sangat who is re-taking Amrit, done a Kurehat, or done any other fall in Rehat. Those people were asked to stand up. A large number of people were there for Pesh or asking to re-take Amrit.

Pesh happened for those people. One by one people explained why they had come to re-take Amrit or what Kurehat or lapse in Rehat they had done. Each person was given individual Tankhaah (punishment), e.g. sweeping local Gurdwara floor for 40 days, or cleaning of the Sangat's shoes in the local village etc.

THose who had committed a Kurehat were asked to sit back and re-take Amrit, the rest were given Tankhaah, forgiven and told to Matha to Guru Sahib and then they could go.

6. I know that in 1960s or 70s Bhai Fauja Singh Ji Shaheed took Amrit at Sri Akaal Takhat Sahib and they did Pesh for everyone to ask why they wished to take Amrit and asked questions. Unfortunately perhaps due to the large Sangat not all individuals were made to stand infront of Panj Pyaare to ask why they wished to take Amrit etc... (only people who wished to re-take Amrit went through this).

The whole Sangat (especially women) were told to remove all Jewellary, earrings, nose-studs and any jewellery other than Sarbloh Kara, Kirpan etc.

7. I had to stand under a fan, because i was feeling dizzy and it was HOT (july time). I felt bit faint so i stood next an old Baba Ji. The Panj Pyaare did Ardaas and read Hukamnama and then started the Amrit Sanchaar. All Panj Pyaare sat in Bir Aasan (warrior pose, one knee on the floor and one knee up and one hand on baata and one on khanda).

8. Japji sahib, jaap sahib, swaiye, benti chaupayee sahib, and (full) anand sahib were recited.... because i felt so faint, me and the Baba Ji sat on the floor tell we felt ready to stand up again (rest of the Sangat were stadning, those who for health reasons had to sit down on the floor were allowed to). There was so much Sangat and if you were not near the front then it was heard to hear the paat fully... however everyone was quite, and you could hear Panj pyaare reciting Baani.

9. Ardaas was done and Hukamnama.

10. The Amrit (from the one Baata) was poured into two smaller Baate to give Amrit to the men and women (due to the large sangat).

Two Baate were made ready to give Amrit to men (so 2 of the panj pyaare were there) and 2 baate were ready to give Amrit to ladies (so 2 panj pyaare there) and the fifth of the Panj Pyaare was at the back taking down the names of those who took Amrit and their addresses (those who had trimmed beards or didnt look full Sikhi Saroop (due to a sudden life change etc) were asked to write their name once their hair had fully grown).

11. Amrit was given 5 times to drink, 5 times sprinkled in the eyes and 5 times sprinkled in the Kesh. Each time we were asked to say "Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh"

12. Men stood in a big semi-circle (standing near the wall, going all the way round). The Amrit were poured from four baate back into 2 baate. One baate went around all the ladies... amrit was given to sip. Same proceedure with men. The baata came back again to the start to make sure everyone had drank from the Baata where everyone had drank from.

(by the way the AMRIT WAS TASTEY!!!!!!!!!!! and my head and faint-ness was gona in straight away when i took drank Amrit!)

13. Everyone then was asked to write their names. Everyone then sat down. Panj Pyaare stood with their Kirpaans naked and one of the Panj Pyaare (the Jathedaar) on a microphone told the Rehat to the Sangat.

14. Gurmantar - "VAAHE-GUROO" was given to the Sangat... we all repeated "VAAHE-GUROO" five times after the Panj Pyaare.

15. Mool Mantar "EK OUNKAAR" to "GUR-PRASAAD" was then given to the Sangat to repeat after Panj Pyaare.

we were told that these are spiritual food and given to us to remember Waaheguroo and to use in daily life.

16. Rehat was told (in detail)

- How you have been reborn, new father, new mother, new family.

- What are the duties of the Khalsa,

- What things a Khalsa should give up (i.e. Brahmanism rituals, superstitutions, caste etc).

- Panj Kakkaar

- 4 Kurehats

- Three principles of life (naam japna, vand shakna, and kirat kamaayee)

- Told to give Daswand to Guru di Golak

- Gurpurbs

... celebrate gurpurbs by making parshaad or giving money to Gurdwara for Parshaad. All Gurpurbs which you know of or remember should be celebrated by making parshaad or going to Gurdwara etc

- Birth

.. Your children should go through Naam Ceremony (Baata, Kirpan and reciting 5 Paurees of Japji Sahib, Ardaas) and taking Naam from Hukamnama

- Marriage

... should be simple wedding, amritdhari marries amritdhari, no manmat rituals or practices, no alcohol should be served or distributed at wedding etc etc

- Death

.... Accept Guru's Will, you can place ashes in any flowing water near home, going especially to Kiratpur Sahib just to place ashes or going to Ganges = manmat, and explainging basic funeral proceedure.

- New life, new duty, and what is expected from the Khalsa

Finally - Ardaas, Hukamnama

Those who had taken Amrit for first time were given HUGE portions of Karhah Parshaad, and the rest were given parshaad as they left.

I then had a conversation with two of the Panj Pyaare because they found out I was from England. THey said if i need any advice or help etc not to hestitate to contact them etc.

my mum and cousin were waiting outside. We then went to the Langar Ghar to have Guru Ka Langar and paid respects to Guru Maharaaj.

That was great , thanks for the info. Wow I am picturing it now what it would be like at the Akal Takht. So great!!!!

I am already amridhari, but have always wondered what it would be like at the feet of Guru Hargobind jee.

When they did pesh did the people say out loud what they had done wrong or did they go up to the Panj Singhs and semi-privately say there errors?