Recording Kirtan

Pheena

VJKK VJKF

U cud use a portable MP3 recorder. I personally use Archos! They rock! I got an Archos AV320 and it does the trick. Attach it to a Sony mic and its excellent.

Record at bitrate 192 (which is = to CD quality) but nething above 128 is acceptable.

BUT for BEST recordings... use a mixer, multi mic's and record straight into a laptop. Bit more hassle but defo worth it..............

But good recording equipment aint gonna get u the best quality - placement of microphones is also important. Combine knowledge with practicality for the best recordings. Im sure theres more learned Singhs and Singhnia here who have more knowledge so will leave it to them... :doh:

I dont record because other people are doing it but, you could use serveral devices, an MP3 player with built in line in, a computer, minidisc player... even a tape player. Computer or MP3 players are more common and the best is to record at the highest bit rate to get best quailty because u can decrease the bit rate on the computer later on if needed. Also a good idea to record on a low volume and you can increase volume later if necessary.

I am aware of the devices that allow me to record from line-in featuers, but i was asking more in tersm of what type of device do you guys use for your recordings.

I've been looking at this Iriver 899 mp3 recorder/player

http://reviews.cnet.com/iRiver_iFP-899_1GB...7-30889100.html

but was wondering what u guys use for your recordings...such as recording from tapes to mp3s etc or live kirtan using line-in feature.

Nama ji, what is the maximum bitrate the Archos allows you to record in? how much did u pay for it and what capacity?

thanks nama ji and turbantor for your advice :doh:

EDIT: lol nevermind Nama ji, i think that one is out of my price range...plus it has stuff that i don't really need. :doh:

i own the ihp-120, and did some 192kbps recordings

recording wise:

i was forced to record some ghazals for my dad at some live show thingy. They came out pretty good considering the cheap mics they were using. I believe the iriver can record up to 300 something kbps so its pretty good.