the meaning's of kakkar

darminder

gurfateh sangat jee...

i was wondering if the sangat here can gimme there thoughts on the 5K's,

what i mean is eeach kakkar have at least two meanings to each of them.

eg:

1: The kara, reminds the person wearing it if they do anything wrong with their hands its a reminder not to.

2 The Kara is also to show that God is forever being, self created, out of the cirth of births and deaths.

thats my thoughts on the kara, can anyone explain the other 5k's please. the pysical side and mental side to the kakkar.

PLZ DO NOT get into arguments if keski is kakar or not.. :umm: i want ALL UR views of what the sangat has in their minds of the panj kakkar.

i hope i aint confused u lot..lol

Kesh - Kesh means hair. A Sikh should treat his hair as a gift from God himself. It is His trust. To keep this God-given form intact is the first and foremost duty of a Sikh. The hair is a symbol of faith, and keeping long hair confirms a Sikh's belief in the acceptance of God's Will, and teaches him Humility and Acceptance.

Khanga - Khanga means comb. Sikhs use a small wodden comb because it can be worn easily in the hair all the time. Apart from its practical utility, a comb is clearly a symbol of cleanliness. Just as a comb helps to remove the tangles and cleans the hair, similarly a Sikh is reminded to get rid of any impurities of thought by repeating 'NAAM' (God's name) in his mind.

Karra - Karra literally means a link or bondage. It is a special steel bracelet which is worn on the right hand wrist like a wedding ring which signifies a bond between the two people. The Karra is the Guru's own symbolic ring to all his Sikhs signifying their unbreakable link or bond with the Guru as well as among themselves, belonging to the brotherhood of Khalsa. Also the circle is a symbol of restraint and in practice a constant reminder to the Sikh of ideal behavior in the event of weakness.

Kachha - Kaccha is a pair of shorts. This is special, slightly longer type of underwear and is symbolic of continence and a high moral character. Like breeches, Kaccha can be worn on their own without causing embarrassment. Thus it is quite useful in hot weather, swimming and sports activities.

Kirpan - It is a sword. However, the Sikhs call it the Kirpan. Kirpan comes from the word 'KIRPA' and 'AAN'. Kirpa means a

n act of kindness, a favour; and 'aan' means honour, respect, self-respect. It is an instrument which adds to self-respect and self-defence. Thus for Sikhs, Kirpan is the symbol of power and freedom of spirit. All baptised Sikhs should wear a short form of Kirpan (approx. 6" to 9" long) on their body. To call it a dagger or knife is rather insulting to this article of faith, which functions quite differently from the other two.