Soouthampton Sikh Students

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Sangatji, I am going to Southampton University this year, and as yet have not found a sikh student society.

If you can help me set one up I would be very grateful. I have a lot of contacts for support, help and advice, however the Southampton student union says I need 25 full time members of the university to be ready to start the society up before it is allowed.

My problem is I don't know ANY students in southampton!!

:wub: @

So, Sangatji, anybody who can bring me some contacts or is a student at the university, or can get someone involved who is a student at the university, PLEASE HELP!!

:T:

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh jio

Can i suggest that you email

Boss

British Orgainsatiom of Sikh Students.

they will be able to help you in setting up a Sikh Society and help you become part of a larger University network

http://www.boss-uk.org/

info@boss-uk.org

webmaster@boss-uk.org

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh jio

vaheguruu ji ki fateh

Best contact BOSS as said above they will help you out with what they can. Student Unions can be difficult just be firm with them and keep pushing for a Sikh Soc

Good Luck :wub:

ask them for a stall at fresher fair so u can get people to join...

get literature and stuff of Boss theyll help you out with that stuff :wub:

vaheguruu ji ka khalsa vaheguruu ji ki fateh

Gurfateh!!

A few students are currently holding talks with the southampton uni students union, to create a separate sikh soc, it seems for the meantime we might have to join with the Hindu Soc just to get us off the ground and noticed, however if we can get 25 full time students to become members of a Sikh Soc we will be up and running.

Anyway will keep you informed and also congratulations on getin into southampton will see you there shortly. :wub:

Gurfateh!!

Gurfateh!!

A few students are currently holding talks with the southampton uni students union, to create a separate sikh soc, it seems for the meantime we might have to join with the Hindu Soc just to get us off the ground and noticed, however if we can get 25 full time students to become members of a Sikh Soc we will be up and running.

Anyway will keep you informed and also congratulations on getin into southampton will see you there shortly. :wub:

Gurfateh!!

117567[/snapback]

Rather than joining the Hindu Soc why not do what we did when I was at University (many years ago!). We had at least 50 Sikh students, but 5 or 6 of the activists got many of their non-Sikh students to become members. They loved going to the Gurdwara and would go around once a month and attend the annual Akand Path organised by the Sikh students at the end of each academic year.

We also set up our own Student branch of Amnesty International at Uni - 80% of the active members were Sikh students. We all have non-Sikh friends so why not involve them in the student organisations we are setting up.

Gurfateh!!

Yeah thats just it, but at the moment we're running very short on time to find those 25 full time members because quite a lot are still on holiday, and to have a stall ready for the bunfight (where all the societies meet freshers) in a month with all the paperwork gone through the student union, so our contingency plan is just to use part of the hindu soc stall to promote sikh society and then break away when we've got everything sorted. Thanx for the advice though veer ji :wub:

Gurfateh!!

Gurfateh!!

Yeah thats just it, but at the moment we're running very short on time to find those 25 full time members because quite a lot are still on holiday, and to have a stall ready for the bunfight (where all the societies meet freshers) in a month with all the paperwork gone through the student union, so our contingency plan is just to use part of the hindu soc stall to promote sikh society and then break away when we've got everything sorted. Thanx for the advice though veer ji :wub:

Gurfateh!!

117619[/snapback]

lol sorry but that kinda reminds me of 1947, where Hindu Gov tld us they will treat us well.. onli 2 4get days later :wub: grin.gif

o well lets c wot appens in future eh..