Applying For Uni!

manbiro singh

gurfateh ji!!

wel its that time i never thought would come but it has, applying for uni. I can't believe that ucas forms have to be sent off by january.

Anyway i just wanted some advice from people who are going, are at and have been to uni. I started thinking about doing a gap year, getting a job earning a bit of money and then go to uni the following year. That way i can have a kind of break from education, but the downside is that when i have finished my gap year i might feel like not going back to education, so im in a bit of a pickle.

I just wanted some opinions from sangat ji! would appreciate it loadz :TH: :)

gurfateh ji!!

Waheguru ji ka kHalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh ji

Bhai Sahib ji

Need to ask yourself 1st a few questions

1)You wanna live at home or away?. This will impact your choice. Do you want luxaries of home or do you want a few years chill away from home live. Home will be cheaper too.

2) If you gonan live away from home, find somewhere where there's sangat. Not just in terms of a local gurdwara, but what is the Sikh Soc like etc. do they do many events etc

NOO ucas forms ment 2 be sent off by october 15!! well thats MY collij newayz.. sent it off lykk 2 weeks ago.. dont worry, as long as u got the personal statement good... ask a student who dus the course u wanna do. I did that and my personal statement ROCKED! ok well i chose 3 and picked a random 1 for 4th choice :doh: lol GOOD LUK 2 ALL!!! :)

bro abt the gap yr: dont they ask u 4 evidence that u actually did sum sort of learning during that period, because we all suffer after 6 weeks summer holidays! lol and ONE YEAr!! ull forget everything no.gif so ull may have to take a foundation year.. wich is 12 extra year. gap yr + 1 extra foundation yr = 2 yrs xtra!

.. u up 4 dat? (sorry 4 being negative..)

lol really?? wel my scool hasnt mentioned anything about it so must b different for us.

n nah K_51ngh i kno wot you mean that could mean 2 extra years no.gif but i think a gap year might do me good i mean i could get a job earn some money for a year and that could help me especially if i go far. and i could do things in that year e.g voluntary work which could help me get in to my course. but i know what your saying so overall a gap year isn't a gud idea? wacko.gif

anyone with experience of doing a gap year. good or bad? please say

gurfateh ji!!

well i should be applying this year too but instead am having a gap year in which i am going to work and do voluntary work at my old school so i can say that i wanted to make sure that i was making the right career move goinmg into teaching therefore i can make some money in a full time job and go to my old school one day a week. I think it depends on the situation eg i dont have to have predicted grades cuz i can show them my rael results and therefore will not be under or over estimated. Anyway like i said you gotta think about it iun the lobg term

i took a year and half off of school.. and lookin back... i don't think thats the best way to go... if ur worried about money.. work part-time durin school.. or get an on-campus job... i would suggest u not take the time off... think about it this way.. ur gonna be workin the rest of ur life anywayz... get the education first... i mean if ur REALLY tight on $$$ then thats a diff story... but if u can go with just a part - time job then do that.. also takin a year off makes u MADD lazy.. (take it from me... and japmans.. hahaha.. he knows how lazy i got)... and when u get back into school (depending on the person) it might be really hard to get back into the flow..

so... the verdict..... stick wit the school... and don't take time off :TH:

well, lol, ive told most ppl this, but just for yoursake ill repeat myself. I am a rubbish cook, however, I mum gave me alot of masalla to take to uni and everytime i cook some sabjeeee I put loads and loads of that in. The smell of the sabjee attracts my flatmates who are all goras and gorees. Anyhoo, they love 'indian' food, so I let them try it blush.gif and then i wait half an hour, to see the effects, my experimental sabjee has.......i think 30 minutes is too little a time, to assess the effects tho.

Anyway, after 30 minutes have elapsed I then eat the sabjee.... :TH: