Sikh IBM Technocrat chosen among 13 !!

Mkhalsa

514.1.gif

Dr. Raminderpal Singh Khalsa among the top 13 semiconductor technology experts in the world

Dr. Raminderpal Singh, an Amritdhari Singh, working for IBM, has been ranked among the top 13 scientists in the world. Singh has a Phd in Engineering from Newcastle University, UK. He is among the foremost experts in the world in modeling the electrical noise in an advanced process related to circuit design. This is recognized by EETIMES, a premiere technical trade journal of engineering in the US.

According to the jourmal these are the 13 people who are influencing the course of semiconductor development technology and taking it into realms that exceed the bounds set by the inventors of the transistor more than 50 years ago. As a result, semiconductors will morph with other disciplines, and electronics will be part and parcel of the human body as well as man's moving spirit.EE Times has chosen 13 people who are influencing the course of semiconductor development technology and taking it into realms that exceed the bounds set by the inventors of the transistor more than 50 years ago. As a result, semiconductors will morph with other disciplines, and electronics will be part and parcel of the human body as well as man's moving spirit.

Singh is Senior Engineering Manager, IBM Microelectronics and the Virtual Socket Interface Alliance

He is published in the area of substrate and process modeling and is a guru on modeling the electrical noise in an advanced process. At VSIA, Singh headed the development leading to the world's first specificat

ions document describing signal integrity issues for the import of analog and digital IP. He's young and ambitious. Highest degree: PhD, engineering, Newcastle University (U.K.)

you are kidding me... I know this singh.... know his family... his wife's a awesome cook man.. he's my buddy... lol.. hard to believe actually .. that he's on of the top.. 13 semiconductor technology experts in the world. I still can't believe it.. lol... we used to go to his house and try to learn the vichaar on japji sahib and other baanees.. by ourselves.. he always used to tell us to come and used to bribe us with his wife's food ... so could never resist.... he's a awesome guy tho... I'll calll him up... lol oh and I never knew that his last name was khalsa???

Just saw this but didn't read it completely. But yes ..........the father of fiber optics is a Sikh

here is the article

IndiaStar Review of Books

No More Watno Dur

by Sadhu Binning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IndiaStar Review of Books

"No More Watno Dur establishes Sadhu Binning as

one of the leading poets of the Indian

diaspora now writing in English."-- C.J.S. Wallia

No More Watno Dur

by Sadhu Binning

Toronto: TSAR Publications, 1995

120 pages $10.95

Reviewed by C.J.S. Wallia

No more Watno Dur is a collection of poems in Punjabi along with English translations by Sadhu Binning, who teaches Punjabi at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada. ("Watno Dur" in Punjabi means "far from the homeland.") Nearly all of the poems are about Indian immigrants in North America and are dedicated to the memory of the passengers of "Komagatu Maru," a ship with 376 Indian immigrants, which, in 1914 in Vancouver harbor, was forced to turn around and take them back to Calcutta. Upon disembarkation in Calcutta, the British colonial police shot dead 26 of the passengers and seriously wounded many more.

The poems in No more Watno Dur, particularly their references to "Komagatu Maru," perhaps can be best appreciated in the context of the history of Indian immigration to North America, which begins in 1903.

II.

The earliest Indian immigrants were mostly Sikh ex-soldiers and farmers from the Punjab who settled in British Columbia, where they had to face severe r

acial discrimination. They applied for Canadian citizenship, which was granted, but then rescinded in 1907. Some early immigrants moved to California's Sutter and San Joaquin counties, where racial discrimination later became even worse. The Indian immigrants felt that the major reason they were regarded as inferior in North America was India's colonial status under the British. To fight for India's independence, the immigrants founded the Ghadr party. The party, headquartered in San Francisco, elected Sirdar Sohan Singh Bhakna as the founding president and Lala Hardayal as secretary. Among the several hundred Ghadrites who returned to India was Sirdar Kartar Singh Sarabha, a young University of California engineering student at Berkeley. He along with 45 others was hanged in Lahore by the British colonial government in 1917, which also sent hundreds to the nightmarish prison in Kala Pani (Andaman Islands). In 1923, the U.S. government, by a decision of the Supreme Court, denaturalized all of the naturalized citizens from India on the ground that, although they were Caucasians, they were not white.

Here are two examples of the kind of discrimination the early Indian immigrants and visitors encountered. Sirdar Dalip Singh Saund completed his Ph.D.degree in mathematics from U.C. Berkeley in 1927 and found a job to teach in the Los Angles school district. But, even before he could step into his first class, the job offer was withdrawn by the school board because they decided that the students would be too upset to be taught by a brown-skinned person. So much for the brown civilization that invented the numeral system 1, 2, 3, etc. (misnamed as the "arabic" numerals by the Europeans -- a fact acknowledged by Arab historians themselves), the decimal system, and many of the founding concepts of geometry and algebra. Frustrated from following his profession, Dalip Singh Saund turned to farming and, decades later, became the first Asian-American to be elected to the U.S. Congress. In 1929, the prodigio

us poet Rabindranath Tagore, who had won the Nobel Prize in literature in 1913, was treated in such humiliating manner by the U.S. immigration authorities in Los Angeles that he promptly cancelled his lecture tour and returned to India. The Immigration and Naturalization officers had demanded proofs from the brown-skinned poet that he could read and write and that he possessed sufficient funds on hand to guarantee that he would not become a public charge in the U.S. The tall, aristocratic, seventy-year-old Tagore, long locks and white beard flowing, commented: "Jesus could not get into America because, first of all, he would not have the necessary money, and secondly, he would be an Asiatic."

Indian immigration to the U.S. came to a complete halt in 1924 with the passage of the Asian Exclusion Act, resuming only in 1946, when the Luce-Celler bill allowed a token immigration of 100 people from India. This bill was passed by the persistent lobbying of Sirdar J.J. Singh over a period of twenty years. J.J. Singh's indefatigable one-man lobby finally pressed on the American recognition of their hypocrisy of having just fought Hitlerian racism in Europe while practising racial discrimination in their own immigration policies.

The U.S. Immigration Act of 1965 opened the doors for the first time for sizeable numbers of Indians immigrants. In 1967, Canada introduced the "point system" for approving immigration applications. The criterion now was to be outstanding professional qualifications. Many of the new arrivals came with advanced degrees in the sciences -- the most prominent of this group are Sirdar Narinder Singh Kapany, D.Sc., the father of fiber optics; Hargobind Khorana, Ph.D., the Nobel-prize winning geneticist; and Deepak Chopra, M.D., star east-west physician on American TV. Many have done well: according to the 1990 U.S. Census, Indo-Americans have the highest per capita income of any ethnic group. After settling down, these professionals typically sponsored

the applications of their relatives to come over, some of whom lacked college education and now make up the lower economic classes of Indian immigrants.

This lower economic class is the narrative persona of Sadhu Binning's poems in No More Watno Dur.

III.

The Komagatu Maru incident of 1914 was a particularly poignant event in this history and has been the subject of two outstanding plays: Sharon Pollock's, in English, first produced in 1976; and Ajmer Singh Rode's, in Punjabi, first produced in 1984.

The two opening poem in Sadhu Binning's

No More Watno Dur are about the

Komagatu Maru:

The Heart-Breaking Incident

at the same shore of the ocean

where once stood Komagatu Maru

and went back

without kissing the shore sand

shrieking like a hungry elephant

facing the guns

now sitting amidst

the driftwood, the gravel, the sand

I wonder how they witnessed

the scene

and listened to

the voices of our grandfathers

I try to enjoy the music of the waves

but only the angry Punjabi voices

from the Maru reach my ears

I ask the waling stones

about the heartbreaking incident

they laugh

turn their faces and walk away

----------

and the follow-up poem

Welcome

I often speak

to the grass

the trees

and the river

they never tell me

I wasn't welcome

I've heard the wind

chatting with leaves

not once a note of hatred

the rain and the snow

touch me on my shoulders

as many other friends do

the birds come every morning

and sing outside my window

welcoming me into a new place

a new day

why weren't they consulted

when the decision was made

to send my Komagatu Maru away.

Most of the 29 poe

ms in No More Watno Dur present the inner experiences of an Indian immigrant in Canada who has to take up backbreaking jobs such as picking strawberries, dish washing, and delivering packages.

The following two poems reflect the narrator's changing relationship to his adopted country and the oneness he experiences after immersing his father's ashes in a Canadian river.

River Relations

At the foot of the towering glaciers

into the icy waters of the river

when I dropped the ashes of my father

the persistent memory of

Ganga Yamuna and Sutluj

was forcefully quelled inside

Now whenever I remember my father

It is the Squamish river I think about

one rupturing relationship

giving birth to a new one

The strangeness of the place melted

a personal image now flows in memory

perhaps that's what my father meant

by relations of rivers to men

----------

and Sadhu Binning's deeply connecting, transformative title poem:

No More Watnu Dur

letters that I wrote

to my family

to my friends

in the last one century

were all written

from a foreign land

to the motherland

but the letter that I just wrote

about the news of my father's death

is written

from my country to another country

I wrote:

My father left his home a long time ago

he lived with the dream of

one day returning to his fields

to spend the last of his days in peace

now along with his body

all his dreams are melted into this land

I have dropped his ashes

in icy river water

he has become part of this soil

No More Watno Dur establishes Sadhu Binning as one of the leading poets of the Indian diaspora now writing in English.

See everybody'

;s life today is somehow linked to fibre optics from endoscopes to internet.....fibre optics is the life line..................and it was invented by a Sikh... wubb.gif ...............& the world still doesn't know who Sikhs are and the poor hindus still make fun of us.................... :umm:

Here is the Singh's Photo and little more about the man who invented fibre optics

indianAmericans9.jpg

Pioneer scientist Narinder Kapany is regarded as "The Father of Fiber Optics," which he discovered in 1955. His research endeavors include fiber optics communications, local area networks, biomedical instrumentation, solar energy and pollution monitoring. Kapany also founded the Sikh Foundation in 1967 to ensure that Sikh tradition will be handed down to future generations of Sikhs born in Europe and North America

I know this guy... I wouldn't be so proud of Dr. Kapanee..... this's guy is a disgrace to the panth.. he's moderate .. He has gotten some awards and stuff... I think even from the president.. I m not sure..

but He dyes his dhaaree and I think.. him and his so called sikh buddies eat meat and probably drink sharaab... you still want to be proud of so called this "sikh" inventor of fiber optics? don't even refer to him as a "SINGH"

I know Raminderpal Singh personally.. I can guarantee you raminderpal singh is completely oppsite of this kapanee guy... I m proud of Raminderpal Singh ! wubb.gif cuz I know him like my family...

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Big up to wubb.gif Dr. Raminderpal Singh Jee.

Brave Khalsa jee please convey sikh sangat.com sanagat guru fateh and appreciation to Veerjee. Panth really needs leaders like him jee and if possible request him to visit and guide moorakh like me on this forum.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!