Why Japuji Sahib Has Thirty-eight Pauris?

Instead of setting up assumptions and questioning Guru Ji with all these WHYS? It's best to gain the importance in the Gurbani our Guru Ji's set. You never know you may find your answer in Gurbani.

Now as said before by Sangat Ji, instead of counting up the Pauri's in Jap Ji Sahib, try to analyse and figure out what Guru Ji is trying to say, what the importance is of one and each Pauri...

pray.gifpray.gif

Satsriakal to all and ms514 Ji!

It is great to read your views.

You wrote "Guru Sahib is perfect so the perfect number of pauris was picked to enlighten those living in this world. Gyan comes from contemplation of the Shabad, not counting them."

I also feel the same. Thirty-eight is the perfect number of Pauris in Japuji Sahib.

Gyan comes from contemplation of the Pauris, not counting them.

Our Gurus have never suggested us to count Pauris.

I am surprised why some of our preachers ask us to count Japuji Sahib we should do every day.

Balbir Singh

well dont be surprised, there are so many reasons for doing so and one that i am aware of is that some ppl keep a record so that is how old they feel they are depending on how much they been praying, also they keep a diary of what they achieved and why not?

if we keep a record of all the awards we won then why not keep a record of the prayers we do and how many and how long cos thats the greatest achievement ever.

:@

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!

Dear all!

All belongs to God. Also, that feels mine.

It starts to flow when He wants to share.

He has chosen me as His tool not hurdle.

You may possess the Truth or pass it on.

Please visit the site

http://www.saysatsriakal.com

And click the topic '38 Pauris of Japuji Sahib'.

Love.

Balbir Singh

that was interesting, thanks for the idea , but dont want to sound nasty but why does it not say Guru in front of Nanak in one of the topoic things?

bro maybe im being silly but I dont think we have the right to leave out the word Guru infront of Nanak or at least something like Baba to show respect ?

thanks anyways

Guru Fateh to all,

I have been reading few topics on the website. I feel that we need to have a few good Learned people to answer and topic when no one is able to answer the question clearly and instead of clearing away the darkness, adds more smog to it.

In this thread, there were 2 questions raised. First question was, why does Japuji Sahib has 38 pauris. Second question raised was, When quality is everything, why did our Gurus add the number of the pauries, shabads at the end of each shabad, pauri.

The first question and second question are closely related to each other. Japuji Sahib has 38 pauries. The answer has been posted in many replies that one shud not count the numbers, but shud try to understand the meaning of the pauri and relate it to the things around and try to work according to the Hukam which is been told in that Shabad or pauri.

The answer to the second questions also makes us understand that When Guru Ji put all the Bani into words, he knew, that the Pavitar Bani will be read and discussed by many. So he wanted to create an index and pointers so that when one is discussing a Shabad or Pauri, he or she can point to it clearly so that Sangat can understand better. For example if some one want to explain pauri "suni-ai eesar barmaa ind." He/she will be able to refer it to as Pauri # 9. Which makes the other person to be able to search and read it later by refering the Pauri #. In some Shabads there are 2 Rahaos. Mostly in those shabads the First Rahao will present the question and the second will present the anwer to that questions and all the other lines of the shabads will present a picture or various examples regarding that question or Topic. In Guru Granth Sahib Ji, the Bani is compiled in Raags. Each Raag has Shabads and each Shabad has numbers. So that a person can refer it to a Shabad by Saying that "So and So shabad is 10th Shabad of Raag 'abc' at the panna # 'xyz'.

So this way Guru ji has indexed the whole Gurbani into a well thought sequence.