[shabad] Aao Sabhaagee Needharreeeae Math Sahu Dhaekhaa Soe ||

sikhlionz

This Shabad is written by Guru Nanak Dev Ji Himself d_oh.gif in Raag Vadhans on Ang 557 of Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj:

vfhMsu mhlw 1 Gru 2 ]

vaddeha(n)s mehalaa 1 ghar 2 ||

Raga Wadhans is considered suitable for the cold season and is assigned to the afternoon hours. Its mood is quiet and tender. Texts set to the raga explain how the Guru alone can lead one to the Lord. Without the Lord one is likened to a woman without the love of her spouse. Fifty-three sabdas plus numerous slokas represent the total number composed to this raga by Guru Nanak, Guru Amar Das, Guru Ram Das and Guru Arjan. More on Raga Wadhans

Mahala tells us who wrote the shabad: in Gurbani Mahala is used to refer to the Guru Sahibans so here Mahala 1 refers to Guru Nanak Dev Ji.

Ghar is a musical sign, used at the top of the Shabad in the SGGS. It gives a hint to Raagees as to what musical clef (beat) to sing the Shabad in. In other words, "Ghar" binds music and poetry in their metrical-form. There are up to seventeen "Ghar" mentioned in the SGGS. Musicologists have different interpretations of this term. But the consensus seems to be that it denotes the parts of a Taal (beat). Ghar 2 refers to the Roopak Taal used in Indian music. There are 2 Taalees and the Beat has 7 Maatraas. Taalee is the pattern of clapping. Taals are typified by a particular pattern and number of claps. Maatraa is the beat, which may be subdivided if required.

morI rux Jux lwieAw BYxy swvxu AwieAw ]

moree run jhun laaeiaa bhainae saavan aaeiaa ||

The peacocks are singing so sweetly, O sister; the rainy season of Saawan has come. Sister is used as we are all soul-brides so we are all sisters to each other. The peacock has been used in Gurbani as a metaphor for the mind e.g. on Ang 173: "man mor kuhukiarraa sabadh mukh paaeiaa || The peacock of the mind chirps, and receives the Word of the Shabad, in its mouth." The month of Saawan; the rainy season, is a metaphor for a time that can be auspicious for the fortunate Gurmukhs who sing the Lord's praises. On Ang 134: "saavan sarasee kaamanee charan kamal sio piaar || In the month of Saawan, the soul-bride is happy, IF she falls in love with the Lotus Feet of the Lord." and "saavan thinaa suhaaganee jin raam naam our haar ||6|| Saawan is delightful for those happy soul-brides whose hearts are adorned with the Necklace of the Lord's Name. ||6||" and on Ang 173: "saavan varas anmrith jag shhaaeiaa jeeo || In the month of Saawan, the clouds of Ambrosial Nectar hang over the world." Saawan is the here and now, we should be happy we have been blessed this chance to repeat the Lord's Name and gain the Ambrosial Nectar. However i bolded the word IF because this time also spells time for many to reconsider the path they choose for their life. This time spells despair for those separated from the Lord on Ang 1279 "saavan dhajhai gun baaharee jis dhoojai bhaae piaar || In Saawan, she who has no virtue is burned, in attachment and love of duality."

qyry muMD ktwry jyvfw iqin loBI loB luBwieAw ]

thaerae mu(n)dhh kattaarae jaevaddaa thin lobhee lobh lubhaaeiaa ||

Your beauteous eyes are like a string of charms, fascinating and enticing the soul-bride. Lobh is normally translated as greed and its immense power can be under-estimated. Just like charms would entice the greedy so would the amorous eyes of the Beloved would fascinate, bewitch, lure the bride. For anyone other than the Beloved this would mean the trap of emotional attachment and be taken as a negative thing but as its with our Husband-Lord then His beauty is meant for us to fall in love with and be attached to.

qyry drsn ivthu KMnIAY vM\w qyry nwm ivthu kurbwxo ]

thaerae dharasan vittahu kha(n)neeai va(n)n(j)aa thaerae naam vittahu kurabaano ||

I would cut myself into pieces for the Blessed Vision of Your Darshan; I am a sacrifice to Your Name. For that Vision, that Blessed Vision, of Your Presence there is nothing i would not sacrifice.. everything i have be it mental, material and physical i would give or do anything for that one Vision. Your Name means so much to me i would undergo any pain or suffering for each and every chance to repeat it. Right here and now i'm not repeating His Name and i'm not being cut apart into pieces and yet if i was being cut into pieces whose Name would i cry out? Dhan Dhan are those Gursikhs who live this Gurbani and live as a sacrifice to His Name.

jw qU qw mY mwxu kIAw hY quDu ibnu kyhw myrw mwxo ]

jaa thoo thaa mai maan keeaa hai thudhh bin kaehaa maeraa maano ||

I take pride in You; without You, what could I be proud of? You are here with me right now - Now that i have attained You, i take pride in You - just knowing You're here makes me happy and warm and satisfied. But without You in my life, without the Lord's Name to fall back on, without the Husband-Lord's support what can I be proud of? what else is of any worth? what else will last? what else can a bride take solace in other than her Beloved?

cUVw BMnu plµG isau muMDy sxu bwhI sxu bwhw ]

choorraa bha(n)n pala(n)gh sio mu(n)dhhae san baahee san baahaa ||

So smash your bracelets (chooraa) along with your couch/bed, O soul-bride, and break your arms, along with the arms of your couch. Just before the bride gets married to the Husband, its been a long tradition in India to put bracelets on the soon-to-be bride to serve as a symbol of her marriage. They would wear bracelets until the sad day they became separated from their Husband, i.e. death. So to smash them is a powerful symbol of not only being separated from the Husband but of her failure in her duties as a bride. The soul-bride has failed to entice her Beloved, and so the bed where they would merge is useless, as are the bracelets and even herself - her physical being. Many Indian brides of the time would take their lives being Sati; burned on the funeral pyre if her husband passed away, similairly the body the soul-bride has been given by the Lord is of no use if it isn't put to use repeating the Name of the Beloved.

eyqy vys krydIey muMDy shu rwqo Avrwhw ]

eaethae vaes karaedheeeae mu(n)dhhae sahu raatho avaraahaa ||

In spite of all the decorating of your appearance (vaes) which you have made, O soul-bride, your Husband Lord is enjoying someone else. You have failed in your one, single aim of enticing your Beloved - He is imbued with the love of Gursikhs who have repeated His Name. There is no point appearing like a Gursikh if the 5 vices are rampant within - as the Lord is antarjami - He is in us and understands us and we can hide nothing from Him.

nw mnIAwru n cUVIAw nw sy vMguVIAwhw ]

naa maneeaar n choorreeaa naa sae va(n)gurreeaahaa ||

You don't have the bracelets of gold, nor the good crystal jewelry; you haven't dealt with the true jeweller. Guru ji is saying that one has not gained the real things which would have enticed the Beloved. Had we visited the true jeweller Waheguru we would have made charms out of virtues, inner beauty which would make us attractive to our Husband Lord. (e.g. Ang 737 gun kaaman kar ka(n)th reejhaaeiaa || By the charms of virtue, I have enticed and fascinated my Husband Lord.)

jo sh kMiT n lgIAw jlnu is bwhVIAwhw ]

jo seh ka(n)t(h) n lageeaa jalan s baaharreeaahaa ||

Those arms, which do not embrace the neck of the Husband Lord, burn in anguish. what use is the mind, body and soul of a person separated from the Husband Lord? that person burns in the fire of the vices and duality.

siB shIAw shu rwvix geIAw hau dwDI kY dir jwvw ]

sabh seheeaa sahu raavan geeaa ho dhaadhhee kai dhar jaavaa ||

All my female companions (saheeaa) have gone to enjoy their Husband Lord; which door should I, the wretched one, go to? wretched is such a strong word.. that anxiety when you look around and everyone else is happy and content in family life and you are suffering all alone with nobody to turn to because you made the mistake of neglecting your Beloved..

AMmwlI hau KrI sucjI qY sh eyik n Bwvw ]

a(n)maalee ho kharee suchajee thai seh eaek n bhaavaa ||

O friend, I may look very attractive, but I am not pleasing to my Husband Lord at all. one can have good conduct, behave, get good grades in your education, get a well-paid job, be successful in the world and yet fail at the most basic level - you forgot what you were born to do..

mwiT guMdweNØI ptIAw BrIAY mwg sMDUry ]

maat(h) gu(n)dhaaea(n)aee patteeaa bhareeai maag sa(n)dhhoorae ||

I have woven my hair into lovely braids, and saturated their partings with vermillion. we can do all these worldly things out of good intentions.. we can even make plans that one day we will repeat the Lord's Name - but just not today.. "i'll start keeping rehit.. next month"

AgY geI n mMnIAw mrau ivsUir ivsUry ]

agai gee n ma(n)neeaa maro visoor visoorae ||

but when I go before Him, I am not accepted, and I die, suffering in anguish. imagine being jilted on the day of your anand karaj.. imagine screaming but nobody can hear your voice.. imagine being outwardly alive but feeling dead inside.. all the good intentions and in the world are worth nothing unless you act upon them. its our actions that we will be judged on. our Husband Lord will see straight through any fake outward make-up or pretence so all the worldly deeds or good intentions aren't going to entice to Him as one will still be filthy inside.

mY rovMdI sBu jgu runw ruMnVy vxhu pMKyrU ]

mai rova(n)dhee sabh jag runaa ru(n)narrae vanahu pa(n)khaeroo ||

I weep; the whole world weeps; even the birds of the forest weep with me. suffering, separated from the Husband Lord i cry and suffering engulfs the microcosm that is my world. but its not just separation from my Beloved that i cry for, its due to the vices that are still inside me burning away even more. the birds are like states of the mind wherein there may be a bird that enjoys singing the Lord's praises and enticing the Beloved and another bird which enjoys worldly pleasures. this is duality. however when we pang out of separation from the Beloved the birds cry together - there is only sadness, only suffering, nothing else because there is nothing left to derive pleasure from. whats left to look forward to?

ieku n runw myry qn kw ibrhw ijin hau iprhu ivCoVI ]

eik n runaa maerae than kaa birehaa jin ho pirahu vishhorree ||

The only thing which doesn't weep is my body's sense of separateness, which has separated me from my Lord. Without the Husband Lord the soul feels numb, even dead..

supnY AwieAw BI gieAw mY jlu BirAw roie ]

supanai aaeiaa bhee gaeiaa mai jal bhariaa roe ||

In a dream, He came, and went away again; I cried so many tears. all i have to live for is to gain Vision of my Beloved is in a dream and even then i'll get my hurt by separation every time..

Awie n skw quJ kin ipAwry Byij n skw koie ]

aae n sakaa thujh kan piaarae bhaej n sakaa koe ||

I can't come to You, O my Beloved, and I can't send anyone to You. if my Beloved finally turned His back on me because i failed to gain any virtues - how could i reach Him? ..i couldn't see the Lord anywhere around me as i'm blinded by Maya and vice so what other way could i reach Him?

Awau sBwgI nIdVIey mqu shu dyKw soie ]

aao sabhaagee needharreeeae math sahu dhaekhaa soe ||

Come to me, O blessed sleep - perhaps I will see my Husband Lord again. as sleep is the only way to gain Vision of my Husband (sahu) then the longer i sleep the better..

qY swihb kI bwq ij AwKY khu nwnk ikAw dIjY ]

thai saahib kee baath j aakhai kahu naanak kiaa dheejai ||

One who brings me a message from my Lord and Master - says Nanak, what shall I give to Him? what would we give to that person (Guru ji) who could reach beyond the mortal to the immortal and reunite me with my Beloved..

sIsu vFy kir bYsxu dIjY ivxu isr syv krIjY ]

sees vadtae kar baisan dheejai vin sir saev kareejai ||

Cutting off my head, I give it to Him to sit upon; without my head, I shall still serve Him. when a persons takes amrit hee gives his head (sees) or when a person follows a rehit to pray to our Beloved or do selfless service they give their head as they serve with mind, body and material efforts without being two-minded or giving into duality or the 5 vices and put the wishes of Guru and Panth before themselves with every breath, even if its their last.

ikau n mrIjY jIAVw n dIjY jw shu BieAw ivfwxw ]1]3]

kio n mareejai jeearraa n dheejai jaa sahu bhaeiaa viddaanaa ||1||3||

Why haven't I died? Why hasn't my life just ended? My Husband Lord has become a stranger to me. This is the feeling you'll always have without Guru ji to reunite you with your Beloved.

Waheguruuuuu

• 7 months later...