Cold Showers B4 Morning Nitnem

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fateh

now das an option.....i mean....my older panji has asthma......she has to take a shower at nite before goin to sleep....cuz in da mornin after doin nitnem wen she goes outside to get her bus at like 5 in da mornin.....she can have an asthma attack if she had took a shower before doin nitnem....same wid me....so like some gursikhs wid asthma have to take showers at nite.....i cant take cold showers cuz after if i do i can barely breath......so for some they jus cant.....and then its ur option......but its pretty kool if ya do! :TH: hope this helped....bhuk chuk muaf.....

Fateh

Dear all,

I am now going to upset a lot of people so I’m asking for forgiveness now.

d_oh.gif

Cold water ishnaan in India could be okay but if some one is willing to start a fire and heat the water then why not have a warm bath .

People living in very cold parts of the world, Cold water ishnaan for an Eskimo would be not on.

would any one demand they have cold water.?

I personally don’t think it really matters, I think it is to refresh only. grin.gif

Again I don’t mean to offend d_oh.gif

I think the point is you get up in the morning, and shower and are alert and are able to focus on Nit Nem.

I don't think hot or cold is an issue...........cos its freezing here in thUK a cold one would be impracticle.

On a personal hygenie note.....you should shower in the morning cos of the dead skin that build up lieing down on your body overnight and as Sikhs we are supposed to take care of personal hygenine.

Anyway....people who don't shower first thing smell....big time ...pheww :lol:

Gurfateh JI

this is a must read translation regarding some rehits (including cold showers)

http://www.tapoban.org/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=23076&t=23076

heres an excerpt from the translation relevant to this post:

Chaupai

He who does not use cold water for bathing,

Who takes Prasad without reciting Japji, (25)

Who lets the evening pass without joining in Rehras

Who retires at night without reciting Kirtan Sohila (26)

Who disfigures his actions by slandering others

Such a person was born for disgrace, his duty ever neglected (27)

He who gives his word but fails to honour it,

Shall find no resting place says Gobind Singh (28)

He who eats meat prepared by the Turakan,

Who sings any songs other than those which the Guru has composed (29)

Hear me, Nand Lal, to Yams kingdom he will go (30)

go for a 20 min jog in the morning or do 50 pressups..i'm sure you will be craving for a freezing cold shower!

wahegurooooo!

Gurfateh ji!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

Taking a cold ishnaan is a hukam from Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj. Ill get the book out tommorow and qoute his letters tommorow.

Cold ishnaan is not for people with a medical condition but the are supposed to take a shower/bath in the morning first thing. Athsma has nothing to do with shower, hot or cold.

Cold showers wake you up and get your blood going. Your blood moves around your body to warm you as scientific fact. I before have tried to take hot showers and feel tired during Sadhana, but when I take cold shower I am fully awake allday.When you take cold showers you are warm when you get out because your blood is fully flowing.Your immune system gets a shock to start working properly. When you sleep your heart rate slows and your blood pumps only a fraction of what it normally does, and cold water makes it start to work for the day. It like warming up your car in the morning.

Hot water is bad for the skin and your blood cant shed the heat of the body but to sweat.When you get out of a hot shower you are cold and have to bundle up{unless you get dressed in the bathroom}

Try to over two weeks get the water a little colder and colder until at week two you are doing what GuruJi commanded. :e:

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji ki fateh!