Help Please!

singh1986

WaheGuru Je Ka Khalsa WaheGuru Je Ke Fateh

Can someone help me as my computer says I have a Virus known as WinFixer (there's two of them) and I discovered them after I ran a scan by Norton Virus Scanner 2005 but it says it is unable to delete them and so far I have been unsuccesful at locating them and deleting them, they make my computer go sluggish and keep making exagerated claims that I have loads of Virus (thats what Norton said it would do).....

Anyway, suggestions in how to delete them? Someone told me too download Windows Defender and that hasnt helped! Any suggestions would be apprciated.

Thank you and Sorry for taking up peoples time.

WaheGuru Je Ka Khalsa WaheGuru Je Ke Fateh.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

What I would recommend is to take a look at the Norton Antivirus LOG (it should be inside the program, click "view log".

That will tell you WHERE the file is located. Then you can delete the file manually.

If that doesn't work, you can try the way listed on the Norton Antivirus Website:

1. To update the definitions

To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.

2. To run the scan

1. Start your Symantec antivirus program, and then run a full system scan.

2. If any files are detected, and depending on which software version you are using, you may see one or more of the following options:

Note: This applies only to versions of Norton AntiVirus that support security risk detection. If you are running a version of Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition that supports security risk detection, and security risk detection has been enabled, you will only see a message box that gives the results of the scan. If you have questions in this situation, contact your network administrator.

* Exclude (Not recommended): If you click this button, it will set the risk so that it is no longer detectable. That is, the antivirus program will keep the security risk on your computer and will no longer detect it to remove from your computer.

* Ignore or Skip: This option tells the scanner to ignore the risk for this scan only. It will be detected again the next time that you run a scan.

* Cancel: This option is new to Norton Antivirus 2005. It is used when Norton Antivirus 2005 has determined that it cannot delete a security risk. This Cancel option tells the scanner to ignore the risk for this scan only, and thus, the risk will be detected again the next time that you run a scan.

To actually delete the security risk:

o Click its file name (under the Filename column).

o In the Item Information box that displays, write down the full path and file name.

o Then use Windows Explorer to locate and delete the file.

If Windows reports that it cannot delete the file, this indicates that the file is in use. In this situation, complete the rest of the instructions on this page, restart the computer in Safe mode, and then delete the file using Windows Explorer. Restart the computer in Normal mode.

* Delete: This option will attempt to delete the detected files. In some cases, the scanner will not be able to do this.

o If you see a message, "Delete Failed" (or similar message), manually delete the file.

o Click the file name of the risk that is under the Filename column.

o In the Item Information box that displays, write down the full path and file name.

o Then use Windows Explorer to locate and delete the file.

If Windows reports that it cannot delete the file, this indicates that the file is in use. In this situation, complete the rest of the instructions on this page, restart the computer in Safe mode, and then delete the file using Windows Explorer. Restart the computer in Normal mode.

Important: If you are unable to start your Symantec antivirus product or the product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, you may need to stop the risk from running in order to remove it. To do this, run the scan in Safe mode. For instructions, read the document, How to start the computer in Safe Mode. Once you have restarted in Safe mode, run the scan again.

After the files are deleted, restart the computer in Normal mode and proceed with the next section.

Warning messages may be displayed when the computer is restarted, since the risk may not be fully removed at this point. You can ignore these messages and click OK. These messages will not appear when the computer is restarted after the removal instructions have been fully completed. The messages displayed may be similar to the following:

Title: [FILE PATH]

Message body: Windows cannot find [FILE NAME]. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

3. To delete the value from the registry

Important: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified subkeys only. Read the document: How to make a backup of the Windows registry.

1. Click Start > Run.

2. Type regedit

Then click OK.

Note: If the registry editor fails to open the risk may have modified the registry to prevent access to the registry editor. Security Response has developed a tool to resolve this problem. Download and run this tool, and then continue with the removal.

3. Navigate to the subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

4. In the right pane, delete the following:

"WinFixer 2005" = "C:\Program Files\WinFixer 2005\WFX5.exe"

5. Navigate to and delete the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\CheckProduct2.DLL

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\compcln.dll

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\FFWraper.DLL

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\FixCore.DLL

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\MMFixCtrl.DLL

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{25A3C995-10C8-474B-A167-99460AB4AB2B}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{287A2BAD-6590-4EFF-9BBC-494385664A73}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{290B5B73-4963-4BA1-9D2D-07CB566CB7FA}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{8C65AEF6-E413-4314-815B-82717A3F1603}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{E8928E69-C050-42A9-8884-94DE85E888A2}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{08C71FB1-1E66-4D22-9F32-4C045A451306}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1CDEB41B-905A-4183-AA20-26E075419B46}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{38EDB9E2-D7C4-4575-8905-FE65414FFEAD}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{48349992-1402-4C67-B45B-2E619E641FDB}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{538BC8F3-2E1E-4D2D-A261-158DF6E9B407}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{53ABACCB-434C-4756-A02B-8C2A3F29FB7D}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{66A9C4D0-BC54-4841-8FAA-DB98CBB77BAD}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{84C43108-013C-4513-8578-F50080B9C9D0}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{9CC1BE04-3B42-4442-9A46-77E8BC1108F9}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{AA69BBFC-1D28-4960-8061-93C1BB156238}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B096A483-0ABD-4AF0-856A-CAD36145AF5C}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B5E427F9-AB38-4348-9076-86870C2BE860}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{C0BC364F-AB33-4778-8047-5A2148E0ECDA}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{C427B3E3-28DC-4001-9590-D99B6776119B}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CAE8A9B1-ABBD-4159-A485-1DA045A5D4A1}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F41C1430-CFDE-4AD3-B38D-7890F0843E47}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{08C71FB1-1E66-4D22-9F32-4C045A451306}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{1CE1C25B-F8B4-4974-99D2-5D4AE96B9900}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{35096C29-3507-4ABE-B6D8-C7CC881BE020}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{38F743A2-210F-49DE-9B79-DCD501CED284}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{3EEC290D-FC13-4C83-803D-4802651EEB61}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{41A5BBF6-3C9D-4CF9-9A99-32DD37CC290B}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{4E4F38D9-8736-41AE-B192-E829AE194398}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{4F79D1C5-24F9-4E59-8022-604D4B41D5CA}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{66484903-09F4-4330-927D-1F6C214221AC}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{7FA14AD6-D8E5-465F-9BD1-A37E26C1A74F}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{9E984934-CD94-4763-9DBC-618E483D4B7F}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{B115BD8E-B008-46F4-B8B6-3405EB325C3C}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{B9DFCF32-B679-4CAD-B7FC-518A48CE3922}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{CAE8A9B1-ABBD-4159-A485-1DA045A5D4A1}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{CBEEF194-EBC5-4758-9B51-AC34FC135E70}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{CD3604CC-2B95-43EE-AFC9-E7444C21BE1C}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{D21040FE-0A57-4FAB-8ED2-F0E653E55809}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{D7A2488E-53E4-4EDD-AEAA-F24778BEB100}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{D7A6DF8D-B6CF-4C27-8E99-ECA2CE370EA7}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{F41C1430-CFDE-4AD3-B38D-7890F0843E47}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{F6C1582E-B11C-4724-B8F6-240457EF1D2A}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{FB787D5E-0C7C-4BAB-B45D-20325FB886DB}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{0E9F6AC0-A21A-4591-910F-E2C6F3CA094C}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{30ED49A5-CA6C-4918-B5F3-5E6818C91D8B}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{4DCEEA42-794D-4855-9ECC-20DCF5F4FEA7}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{6A077841-5016-42C8-92C8-F2D6B865BCD1}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{AD70AC89-F460-4E7E-B5A5-7EAF7E207736}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{B6625280-8CD8-4632-97C0-83CEC12A49A3}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{F458ADAE-D53B-4859-B99F-9FA127791278}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{FC76A5B8-DB35-4F3E-8B9A-BF0EEA098D64}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CheckProduct2.CheckProduct.1

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CompCleanCore.AppCleaner

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CompCleanCore.AppCleaner.1

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CompCleanCore.CCQuickScan

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CompCleanCore.CCQuickScan.1

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CompCleanCore.FileCleaner

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CompCleanCore.FileCleaner.1

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CompCleanCore.InetCleaner

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CompCleanCore.InetCleaner.1

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CompCleanCore.RegCleaner

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CompCleanCore.RegCleaner.1

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CompCleanCore.SystemCleaner

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CompCleanCore.SystemCleaner.1

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\df_fixer.Fixer

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\df_fixer.Fixer.1

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\df_proxy.DriverManipulate

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\df_proxy.DriverManipulate.1

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FFCom.FlFixer

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FFWraper.FFEnginWraper

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FFWraper.FFEnginWraper.1

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FixCore.MMFixCore

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FixCore.MMFixCore.1

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MMFixCtrl.CoFixEngine

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MMFixCtrl.CoFixEngine.1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WFX5_is1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WinSoftwareHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet

\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\df_km.sys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\df_kmd.sys

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\WinSoftware

6. Exit the Registry Editor.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

hahaha

theres an easy way dude

format the primary drive and re-install window (if u know how to :D )

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

lol... that's the easy way?

all the backing up, and reinstalling, and redownloading (it takes like at least 2 days to get windows updated again!)

but it'll run fast and spiffy!!

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

hahaha

theres an easy way dude

format the primary drive and re-install window (if u know how to :D )

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

lol... that's the easy way?

all the backing up, and reinstalling, and redownloading (it takes like at least 2 days to get windows updated again!)

but it'll run fast and spiffy!!

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

wacko.gif ok guys I am completely and utterly annoyed now! I followed the instructions left my Khalsa4ever Ji and it looks like I'm causing more damage than good!

So can Bad Girl and Khalsa4ever please leave instructions on how to do the whole formatting and re-installing thing please...I dont mind about time, I have alot of pateince. And sorry for being such a dufus when it comes to computers. no.gif

P.S should I just give up now and take it somewhere who can do this for me? Is there anywhere that does these things?

Before formatting try another thing, most people make the mistake of running the virus scan while in normal window mode where all the viruses are already loaded in memory and thats the reason sometime those files can not be deleted.

Restart your computer in Safe mode with or without networking, i would say without.

Then run the virus scan.

Make sure you have the virus software up to date before going in Safe mode.

You can goto Safe mode by pressing F10 when your computer is booting up.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

First, try Balait's suggestion (it was in my post above as well) of retrying to delete the files in safe mode. If that does not work, you can work on the formatting.

First, you need one of two things:

1. A recovery CD that came with your computer that will reinstall your operating system -or-

2. An installation CD for Windows

and also the CD key that you used to install windows.

If you don't have it, don't fear, but your installation just became longer. Follow the directions http://www.tongfamily.com/pcs/barts_way_to_cr.php to create a new installation CD. (I have done this and it works, PM me if you have trouble). Use this program to find your installation key (and write it down): http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

Once you have these CDs (or have made one, the process is easy).

1. BACK UP your computer. Using CDs or DVDs if you can, burn off all of the stuff that you want to save from your computer, specifically files like documents, mp3s, etc. Once you format, they will all be gone.

2. This part is easy. Just put in Disc 1 (or the only disc), reboot, and it will guide you step to install windows. (Remember to have the CDkey on hand). Also remember to choose (if it asks you) to completely wipe your harddrive and do a fresh install.

A couple hours, and you should be done!

If you have any problems or questions, just PM/email me.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

:TH: Yay!!! Thanx Khalsa4ever et al. I did the whole formatting and reinstalling thing and its worked the virus has gone...only took 6 hours, the computer at first kept shutting off when I put the first CD in but I kept trying and it finally excepted. Wasnt as hard as I expected, and I didnt even need the 2nd key CD (which I luckly had) blush.gif lets just hope I havent done something wrong there? causing a fatal crash. grin.gifohmy.gif

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Great! Just make sure that you run windows updates (and get ALL of the critical updates ASAP!). And put on a virus scanner and a spyware scanner!!

- AVG is a free virus scanner (realtime)

- Microsoft Defender is a free anti-spyware scanner (realtime). Get them :D

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Great! Just make sure that you run windows updates (and get ALL of the critical updates ASAP!). And put on a virus scanner and a spyware scanner!!

- AVG is a free virus scanner (realtime)

- Microsoft Defender is a free anti-spyware scanner (realtime). Get them :D

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

WaheGuru Je Ka Khalsa Wahe Guru Je Ke Fateh.

Done Update etc. I have Norton Internet Security 2005 (done updates) and I'm gonna download Windows Defender (Beta 2). Will they not be good enough?