[salok] Bhagat Kabeer Jeeo Kae

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

ਕਬੀਰ ਚੰਦਨ ਕਾ ਬਿਰਵਾ ਭਲਾ ਬੇੜ੍ਹ੍ਹਿਓ ਢਾਕ ਪਲਾਸ ॥

kabeer chandan kaa birvaa bhalaa bayrheha-o dhaak palaas.

Kabeer, the sandalwood tree is good, even though it is surrounded by weeds.

ਓਇ ਭੀ ਚੰਦਨੁ ਹੋਇ ਰਹੇ ਬਸੇ ਜੁ ਚੰਦਨ ਪਾਸਿ ॥੧੧॥

o-ay bhee chandan ho-ay rahay basay jo chandan paas.

Those who dwell near the sandalwood tree, become just like the sandalwood tree.

"chandan ka birva" = sandalwood tree

"bayrheha-o" = surrounded (can't fully remember lol)

"dhaak palaas" = the ugly/useless weeds

"o-ay" = those

"basay" = dwell

"chandan paas" = near the sandalwood tree

In this Salok Bhagat Kabeer Ji uses the analogy of the sandalwood tree. If anyone's ever smelled sandalwood, they'll know it smells really nice :wub: . This Salok is actually quite simple, and so pure.

Even though the beautifully-scented sandalwood tree is surrounded by ugly weeds, it never stops giving out it's fragrance. Soon it seems like the weeds are also giving it out, and people are attracted to both the tree and the weeds.

What really matters is our humility (or lack of it), no matter what living conditions we are born into. It is the sweet smell of humility which attracts Maharaj and which makes other loving towards us. When the humble Gurmukh does good deeds, it makes those around him feel good and become good - as a result, the positivity spreads.

In Gursikhi, we must be prepared to become flexible. We need to mould ourselves and adapt ourselves according to Gurbani and Rehat, just as the weeds begin to smell good when in close proximity of the sandalwood tree.

I can't think of anything else to say about this Salok right now, because it is so lovely that I'd rather just admire it. Please add more if necessary :wub: .

Sandalwood tree: sandalwood%20tree.gif

:D:

~l~

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

Lowest of the low singhni,

You are doing a great job and I have enjoyed reading your posts. Please keep them coming !!! pray.gif

I just want to add to this post that in this Salok Kabeer Ji is also advising us how important it is to have as much Gursikh sangat as we can.

Just as the fragrance of the sandlewood overwelms other plants around it, a Gursikh through his/her actions will set a good example to others. Consequently, our Jivans will improve as we follow / copy those admirable traits of a true Gursikh.