Sikhs Promised Urgent Action Following Racist Attack On Sikh Schoolboy In Scotland

JagtarSinghKhalsa

SIKH FEDERATION (UK)

www.sikhfederation.com

info@sikhfederation.com

PRESS RELEASE

Thursday 16 November 2006

SIKHS PROMISED URGENT ACTION FOLLOWING RACIST ATTACK ON SIKH SCHOOLBOY IN SCOTLAND

The Sikh Federation (UK) a leading Sikh organisation which strives to influence decision makers on issues of concern to Sikhs in the UK is furious following the violent racist attack on a 15-year-old Sikh schoolboy in Edinburgh on Tuesday evening.

The unprovoked attack on the Sikh boy, who was on his way to see relatives, by four racist yobs, culminated in the youngster's long hair being hacked off with a knife. According to the Sikh religion and its teachings Sikhs are not allowed to trim or cut their hair. Bhai Amrik Singh, Chair of the Sikh Federation said: "this is an insulting action which is deeply offensive to Sikhs because of the religious importance of their hair and is being treated with the utmost seriousness".

The boy was walking through Pilrig Park when the gang began to shout racist abuse at him. He carried on walking but the youths set on him, punching and kicking him to the ground before pulling a knife. The victim suffered bruising and swelling to his nose and both cheeks, and soreness to his left shoulder and ribs. The unprovoked attack has been a horrific experience and left the youngster traumatised and extremely upset.

The Federation has been in contact with senior police officers and has pushed for them to take urgent and severe action against the culprits. At the same time the Federation has urged calm. Sikhs throughout the UK as well as in other parts of the world have been outraged and upset upon hearing the news.

A police spokesman said: "This was an extremely distressing attack on a young member of our community." Chief Inspector Keith Chamberlain said: "The manner of this crime, where and how it has happened and the legacy that will be left from it is exceptional." He indicated he was confident the perpetrators would be quickly apprehended and brought to justice.

Nina Giles, director of the Edinburgh and Lothians Racial Equality Council, said: "This was a mindless attack. It's appalling knowing how sensitive Sikhs are about their hair."

The President of the local Gurdwara in Leith said: "This is the first time something like this has happened in Edinburgh in my 50 years living in the city. For what purpose it has been done, we won't be able to tell until we find the perpetrators." Many are speculating that this incident is directly linked to last week's conviction in Scotland for the horrific killing of a young white man by three Muslims.

When challenged by the Federation a senior BBC source defended the BBC and other parts of the media for describing the three Muslims as 'Asians' to avoid being accused of Islamaphobia. However, a Federation spokesman said: "This is madness. The media by adopting such a crude policy was putting at risk those most visible amongst Asians - a simple phrase that the media is using to describe those with brown skin."

"Sikhs with turbans are the most visible minority in the UK that is facing increased racism as the media and public authorities are adopting 'general' descriptions and avoiding the harsh facts and reality of the situation. We have had killings, bombings and mass murder in the UK. What will it take for the media and public authorities to start calling a spade a spade and educating the public about Sikhs, who do not want to be called Asians or Indians and are different to Muslims and Hindus? The events of the last few days show if you are a 15 year old schoolboy or a world famous international cricketer you have one thing in common - your Sikh identity and you will be subjected to racial abuse and attack as the authorities are failing the Sikhs."

Gurjeet Singh

National Press Secretary

Sikh Federation (UK)

Its ironic - i and other users on this fourm were discussing the impact of those 3 muslims convicted who so badly killed a innocent white boy-we were discussing the media and hw they class evry1 as the same - 'asian' ,a few weeks later this happens -media needs 2 fix up if they dnt want 2 cause racial tension like we had back in the 70's and 80's --my thoughts are with young singh and his family may the 0nes who commited this act of sacrilage be bought 2 swift justice

I dont know about you guys but if the asian community segregates itself into hindu, muslim, sikh then the gora's can pick us off one by one, together we are a stronger force, the average briton cant tell the difference between what a Hinu/Muslim/Sikh is.

I dont know about you guys but if the asian community segregates itself into hindu, muslim, sikh then the gora's can pick us off one by one, together we are a stronger force, the average briton cant tell the difference between what a Hinu/Muslim/Sikh is.

HUH!

Sikhs are different from muslims and hindus grin.gif

or if u mean the monah sikhs then i guess ur right they all look like hindus and muslims (they probably are from inside)

but singhs are different, we have our distinct apearance :nihungsmile:

which is why it IS important that we are not amuslims etc. because we suffer the backlash...tell me how many Muslims or Hinus would say the same as you?

*sigh*

After the gore get rid of the 'muslim,' problem then who do you think they going to come after next, and yes i know theres Hindus/Muslims/Sikhs who dont want to be indentified with eachother