Uk Residents

amankaur

Fateh

Hello pyario, i just wanted to ask few things to people living in the UK, in your areas what opportunities do you have for participating in sports?

As in do you guys have like clubs where you can join and play sports in holidays like half term, summer break, after school clubs and lunch time clubs?

this can apply to any ages so don't think im only asking for like young people and also id like to hear from both genders not just boys.

Thing is im a sports coach aswell as studying sports management BA so i just wanted some information what opportunities people have in there areas for sports. Iv mainly worked in a muslim community as everyone knows bham is full of muslims lolz im not trying to discriminate but i want to work with sikhs especially those who are capable of achieving a career in sports or who generally want to participate.

Thanks for taking time and reading hope to hear from you guys!

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Fateh

Aman,

Usually the whichever communities information you are looking for, they have websites available and on those website they have phone numbers in where you can contact the city about any information you may want. This is helpful because it is a "program" all taxpayers cover, so use it to your advantage. I am sure you are a taxpaying citizen, so definitely use the programs offered by the country, city, etc. So let's say you want info about Conventry (the only major city I have some family members in, lol) you can go on their wesbite if they have on, and look on the contacts up department, or better yet you can go to their city hall and gather everything you need from there.

As far as the local Sikh Community is concerned, the best way to find that information would be through the city's local Gurdwara, because a lot of times Gurdwaras can be a place of gathering for Sikhs, and not just a prayer centre. You can put up posters, flyers, etc.

Hopefully this helps.

Take Care.

Yes there are oppotunities to join football clubs etc in my area (london), but I dont bother or have time to. rolleyes.gif

My mate lives in west London and is part of the cricket team.

Umm on that I herd theres a football team in west london but i herd alot got converted to..

challo guroo kirpa kare. hope it helps in some way :D

Fateh

Thank you penji and bhaji's for replying back to me appreciated alot and yes all of your lots information did help me thank you very much :TH: and R singh bhaji you should do some sports its good for your health :D

Thank you Singh with dunalli gave me some good ideas once my uni is finished il look into going to gurudware and putting posters stuff up.

May Guru Ji always bless you all :D

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Fateh

This post would do better in seva..!?

I live in glasgow on a general note i would say that there is plenty of coaching facilities and teams that want to train you, provided you are below the age of 16 or 17 max. After that it is difficult to get any kind of coaching unless of course before that you have proved yourself as a quality player or player of exceptional talent.

There is camp called Ian St Johns Soccer Camp, i think hes manager as well now of a premiership club but he has a batch of designated scouts scouring the UK all the time doing camps hoping to get a glimpse of talents such as michael owen, jackie macnamara who came up through their camps.

Other ways of helping along your way of coaching for whatever reason you are doing research, i had to do a similar kind of research. I found that giving local cultural and leisure officers that were at a top level position usefull to talk to as they hold a vast amount of information. But if you go down this path be prepared, i mean do not find yourself chapping the door of the Culture and lesiure officer for the F.A and you have prepared for a walk in the park, as it isnt that easy. You may have 10 questions prepared. but they will want your opinion and it wil be as though a cannonball hjas been setup, before you know it youl be juggling 40 questions if youre not creful.

Having done that or byapssed that you could ask around in your local gurdwara about what facilities are available, i found this quite benfcial as it led to a Sikh Tournament, found out from this that there was alot of members in sangat wanting to start a league which has now only recently flourished.

Thirdly i think its good to get discussing with family and friends as its amazing how things are linked.

• 2 weeks later...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fatheh

Thank you bhaji bir ras ji for your reply i did read it some time ago im sorry for not repyling as uni was stressful had alot on but know am free for bit :)

i read your post bhaji and thank you it was very helpful indeed gave me some good ideas for my career and im trying to get some volunteer or paying work and hopefuly i'll be able to progress sports in the sikh youth and help our sikh children out.

I'll keep you posted if anything happens like if i manage to arrange tournemounts and stuff at gurudware and stuf.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fatheh

There is quite a lot to do if you loook around. In North Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire there are a vast number of football teams to join, including many which have been started by Punjabi people and have a majority of Punjabi players (mostly Sikhs)

But if you are bored of the typically over-competitive, showboating attitudes of desis in football, as I am, there is a great deal more to do at the local leisure centres. All of the centres in our area run leagues for badminton, squash and hockey. I myself play badminton and squash although not in the league and I know of 2 singhs here who play hockey. Best of all though is swimming. There are lots of Punjabi women who swim, but only 3 of us guys who do so regularly. No wonder we are a nation of unhealthy people! I should add that 2 of us male swimmers are amrit-dhari (me included) and although the other uncle ji doesn't wear his kirpan in the pool, I do and I have never faced a problem because of it. It should also be noted that most swimmers accompany their laps with time in the jacquzzi and steam room :) Added bonus!

Last, but not least this part of the country is a great place to partake in traditional sports such as fencing, horse riding and archery. I have been twice on archery events here, but don't have the time to do it regularly. I'm a beginner really in horse riding but only go once a month as it is so expensive (about £40 for an hours lesson) Fencing I have never done, but plan to go when I get time! None of the SIkhs in this area make use of these sports on our doorstep and my brother and I are the only ones who really go, although I don't know if people form aorund Bedford way do this stuff in their neighbourhood.

We have 5 Gurdwaras in North Hertfordshire, all within 5 miles of each other; 4 Gurdwaras in Bedford; 2 in Luton (i think) Maybe people from BEdfordshire can better describe what goes on there, but in North herts only the Gurdwara I attend does any sports. We have a kids football team as well as street soccer sessions for the entire community in our rear car park. We have a netball team (whoops should've mentioned that as a sport earlier!) and play basketball in spring and summer seasons again in our rear car park although only for fun! We also have a tournament edition table-tennis table and sponsor youths who want to play in tournaments (whoops should've mentioned table tennis too!) And we have just started gatka classes in conjunction with a couple of lads from one of the other Gurdwaras. Unfortunately, most of our sports are pretty poorly attended (like everything else!) as kids only go to the Gurdwara there parents go to. We still pull in around 30 kids though which is actually good as there are only 3 sevadars (including me!)

I don't know if this was what you are asking. Hope it has helped though.