Just Wondering.... So I Need Help

Guest Guest

I was just wondering something n i thought i wld ask u all if its okay.

Basically, i know very little about my religion, now dnt get me wrong i mean, i do knw a fair amount but not as much as i would like to. however one thing always upsets me when i see young sikh people who really dont know anything.

I mean i do not look down on them, and i have met many that would like to know, but there is nothing for them. i regularly go to the Gurdwara, n i willl be honest for me it has become a ritual. And i do not want it to be. i want to understand and learn about my history, i was speakin to my friend and she was aying the same as me, how our knowledge is so basic but we would like it to advance.

As i was thinking i realised it is o use just hinking and not acting upon my thoughts because it would just result in nothing, a pointless waste of time. So i thought why not take it up to the comittee.

Now i know that you willl say start history classes, but its harder said than done, speakers needed etc

also i myself am not a full adult nor am i a child, and i noticed even if the gurdwara does to something they keep it basic, example vaisakhi every year, when they try they'll tell the baaic story, they wnt explain to the youth that attend once a year twice maximum the importance of vaisiakhi the message of unity behind it, so the youth from there have no extra interest in attneding the gurdwara.

Eveen the sangat that attend my gurdwara are so old, there are hardly any youth and this upsets me greatly. So i have decided to act upon this idea.

And i need your help and views so i can getinput as to what to do and what to present to the commitee.

thank you for any help

ps remeber i am seeking help, i would appreachiate all information howvere basic rolleyes.gif

i was like you..infact i guess i still have lots to learn about sikhi! but i know a lot more than i did say this time last year.it is really hard gettin into sikhi if your like me and you cant speak punjabi and your family arent religious. even if you can speak some punjabi its still difficult.best thing i can advise you to do is to become better friends with any amritdhari sikhs that you know.and then ask them to tell you about sikhism.also read on the internet about sikhi...theres so much information out there for you. obviously you have to be careful cos not all is true. but use common sense.

also just read lots of translations from the guru granth sahib.im not saying read the whole guru granth sahib,maybe just translations of kirtan shabbads. you can use the sikhitothemax website.and ask parents,uncles,cousins any1 about sikhi. im sure there must be someone in your family who knows something about sikhism. im lucky cos a local gurdwara in coventry also has sikhi school once a week taught in english,where they discuss sikh issues,meanings etc, and where one can ask any questions and it will be answered. basically dont give up.the path is very hard to get on,but once your on it the rewards are more than you could ever wish for.

anyways i hope some of this helped.

I have heard something similar in the past

Many have said gurdwara doesn't attract new ppl who are wanting to become sikhs, etc..

Maybe someone can write a page in punjabi/english that tells the committee to focus on lectures, etc and katha about new sikhs , etc

You personally, dont know anything bu want to make a difference, thats good, as no one else is in your position, so you can actually admit, i dontk now anything but would like to know but i cant due to this..this and this....

I suggest you find a few good sikh friends who are religious and can guide you into your path.

The best way to learn is to ask questions, if you have anything in your mind about sikhism, and life itself, Just ask, on the internet you can ask freely and we even have a gupt section so theres no excuse for "I cant ask it" ...Ask questions, dont stop asking until finding an answer that meets your requirements and fulfils your question.

From there on, you are well on your way. Remember to do lots of seva and naam simran.