Beadbi! Need Some Facts

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz

Im a part of the SSA exec at my uni and there's a big problem...thing is, we have about 2 kirtans every year and this year we had one a few months a go. I wasnt at the meetings for this first one because I joined the exec kind of late. So anyway, when I went to the kirtan, I saw that Guru Granth Sahib Ji had been brought as well. Now my concern is based on the fact that we bring maharaj's saroop to a building at a uni where I wouldnt be surprised if meat and alcohol are served in that very room(before and after the kirtan). I remember last time I heard some music coming from downstairs and when I looked I saw some chinese people, they probably had some event of their own, point is, I wouldnt be surprised if meat(possibly alcohol??) was present in the building at the same time maharaj was present...and the music....

Who knows what kind of people come in before and after we do our kirtan, should that really be a place to bring guru jis saroop too?Where we infact are SURE that something along these lines will take place or maybe does take place at the time? Is it really worth taking the risk??

There have been similar problems with people bringing Guru Granth Sahib Ji to hotels and booking a hall and holding lavaan for their wedding in such places and some sikhs had interferred to stop that from taking place....this is a similar problem...

The place itself isnt appropriate, can we really ensure that there is no meat, acohol, music in the building when we bring Guru Granth Sahib Ji? From what i heard last time, no. Taking Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji to a place like this where meals containing meat and alcohol are served/eaten and where we cant control things like tobacco use around the premises is not right. Even if we dont have meat present in the hall itself, how can we be so sure meat or anything else isnt in the same building?

If we are willing to bring Guru ji to a place like this we might as well have a kirtan in a party hall.

Basically, these are things I said in one of my emails and there were many more convos going back and forth..so far I think it's only two singhs that agree with me but the Singhnees think it's ok ...i thought it was common sense but sadly it's not..

everyone on the exec is cool and I dont have anything against them but if this is taking place then something has to be done about it hunna...

People are using a lot of excuses but I gave them answers, now the president said that we should do some research and ask Gursikhs, have a meeting tomorrow and give our views and take a vote...so far I am really outnumbered and I wouldn't be surprised if majority votes bringing Guru Granth Sahib Ji...

Now I just need views from the sangat and do my "research", Ive asked a few people already but I dont want any of them to leave with doubts in their mind...

I just need the facts.....

just my views ....

when akalpurkh send guru nanak to this world ... did he made sure that there is no alcohal served on this earth ....

no

becuase alcohal was being served and that was one of the main reason why he was here ....

we tend to think guru is like us .... vomitt out seeing blood .... scold and kick the sharbis .... no dont even come near us or guru sahib ....

if guru sahib is being taken their for kirten .... then its not beadbi .... if its for just a small ceremony in between a big party then it is ....

who knows may be few quit alcohal on listen kirten their ... but if guru is not their becuase of sharbis ... then no one will quit ...

assi gande ho sakde aa gandch jaan naal sadda guru nahi ....

wasn't there a hukumnama from akaal thakat sahib forbidding us to carry sri guru granth sahib ji to a place where there is alcohol or meat??? :)

somoneone please post a copy. i haven't read it yet.

http://www.respect4guruji.co.uk/12.html

Hukamnama From Sri Akal Takht Sahib

The following Hukumnama (Religious Order) was released by Sri Akal Takht Sahib, India, in March 1998 and states that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji cannot be taken to places where meat and intoxicants are present or consumed.

there is no hukamnama .... at hazzor sahib ....singhs do jhatka in gurudwara sahib ..... at anadpur sahib hola mohhala they do jhatka ....

akal takth can never issue such hukamnama ....

Im a part of the SSA exec at my uni and there's a big problem...thing is, we have about 2 kirtans every year and this year we had one a few months a go. I wasnt at the meetings for this first one because I joined the exec kind of late. So anyway, when I went to the kirtan, I saw that Guru Granth Sahib Ji had been brought as well. Now my concern is based on the fact that we bring maharaj's saroop to a building at a uni where I wouldnt be surprised if meat and alcohol are served in that very room(before and after the kirtan). I remember last time I heard some music coming from downstairs and when I looked I saw some chinese people, they probably had some event of their own, point is, I wouldnt be surprised if meat(possibly alcohol??) was present in the building at the same time maharaj was present...and the music....

Who knows what kind of people come in before and after we do our kirtan, should that really be a place to bring guru jis saroop too?Where we infact are SURE that something along these lines will take place or maybe does take place at the time? Is it really worth taking the risk??

There have been similar problems with people bringing Guru Granth Sahib Ji to hotels and booking a hall and holding lavaan for their wedding in such places and some sikhs had interferred to stop that from taking place....this is a similar problem...

The place itself isnt appropriate, can we really ensure that there is no meat, acohol, music in the building when we bring Guru Granth Sahib Ji? From what i heard last time, no. Taking Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji to a place like this where meals containing meat and alcohol are served/eaten and where we cant control things like tobacco use around the premises is not right. Even if we dont have meat present in the hall itself, how can we be so sure meat or anything else isnt in the same building?

If we are willing to bring Guru ji to a place like this we might as well have a kirtan in a party hall.

Basically, these are things I said in one of my emails and there were many more convos going back and forth..so far I think it's only two singhs that agree with me but the Singhnees think it's ok ...i thought it was common sense but sadly it's not..

everyone on the exec is cool and I dont have anything against them but if this is taking place then something has to be done about it hunna...

People are using a lot of excuses but I gave them answers, now the president said that we should do some research and ask Gursikhs, have a meeting tomorrow and give our views and take a vote...so far I am really outnumbered and I wouldn't be surprised if majority votes bringing Guru Granth Sahib Ji...

Now I just need views from the sangat and do my "research", Ive asked a few people already but I dont want any of them to leave with doubts in their mind...

I just need the facts.....

IK ONG KAR SATGURU PRASAD!!

Friend,

I share your concern about the change sweeping the SIKHI culture and our SIKH brethren / community.

All this is happening because we subconsciously tend to follow what we see around. *MAD* (alcohol) and *MAAS* (meat) seem to have become prestige symbols.

*Rehat* maryada HAS to originate from the family... and the change in culture is thanks to our mentally trying to associate with the Western culture.

SIKH today is at cultural crossroads where he is not sure which path to choose. My view is that Sikh youth has to fight this battle from within their ownselves and see what is wrong and right.

My personal view is that Guruji's swaroop deserves a pious atmosphere and none other than a Gurudwara can provide for this so we must try and avoid taking his swaroop CALLOUSLY & CONVENIENTLY.

Bhul chuk maaf karni

------------

Dey shiva bar mohe.. shubh karman tey kabahoon na taroon!!

*Note - all disruptive and unnecessary replies to thread have been removed*

please may all sangat members reply in accordance to the topic and refrain from changing the subject matter in hand!!

any personal opinions can be shared amongst pm

insults and the like will not be tolerated

thank you

i dont understand why the ssa can't do this at the gurudwara. afterall it would make more sense to so.

say we were to play hockey, would it be wise to go out, make hockey ring, bring all our stuff to a place when there is a hockey arena near by with all the facilities already in place!!!

PS. Bibi G! is THE MAN (so to speak)