Let Naam Be The Seed, Contentment The Plow, Humble Dress The Fence

ਸੋਰਠਿ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ਘਰੁ ੧ ॥

sorath mehlaa 1 ghar 1.

Sorat'h, First Mehl, First House:

ਮਨੁ ਹਾਲੀ ਕਿਰਸਾਣੀ ਕਰਣੀ ਸਰਮੁ ਪਾਣੀ ਤਨੁ ਖੇਤੁ ॥

man haalee kirsaanee karnee saram paanee tan khayt.

Make your mind the farmer, good deeds the farm, modesty the water, and your body the field.

ਨਾਮੁ ਬੀਜੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਸੁਹਾਗਾ ਰਖੁ ਗਰੀਬੀ ਵੇਸੁ ॥

naam beej santokh suhaagaa rakh gareebee vays.

Let the Lord's Name be the seed, contentment the plow, and your humble dress the fence.

ਭਾਉ ਕਰਮ ਕਰਿ ਜੰਮਸੀ ਸੇ ਘਰ ਭਾਗਠ ਦੇਖੁ ॥੧॥

bhaa-o karam kar jammsee say ghar bhaagath daykh. ||1||

Doing deeds of love, the seed shall sprout, and you shall see your home flourish. ||1||

ਬਾਬਾ ਮਾਇਆ ਸਾਥਿ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥

baabaa maa-i-aa saath na ho-ay.

O Baba, the 'wealth' of Maya does not go with anyone.

ਇਨਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਜਗੁ ਮੋਹਿਆ ਵਿਰਲਾ ਬੂਝੈ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

in maa-i-aa jag mohi-aa virlaa boojhai ko-ay. rahaa-o.

This Maya has bewitched the world, but only a rare few understand this. ||Pause||

ਹਾਣੁ ਹਟੁ ਕਰਿ ਆਰਜਾ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਿ ਵਥੁ ॥

haan hat kar aarjaa sach naam kar vath.

Make your ever-decreasing life your shop, and make the Lord's Name your merchandise.

ਸੁਰਤਿ ਸੋਚ ਕਰਿ ਭਾਂਡਸਾਲ ਤਿਸੁ ਵਿਚਿ ਤਿਸ ਨੋ ਰਖੁ ॥

surat soch kar bhaaNdsaal tis vich tis no rakh.

Make understanding and contemplation your warehouse, and in that warehouse, store the Lord's Name.

ਵਣਜਾਰਿਆ ਸਿਉ ਵਣਜੁ ਕਰਿ ਲੈ ਲਾਹਾ ਮਨ ਹਸੁ ॥੨॥

vanjaari-aa si-o vanaj kar lai laahaa man has. ||2||

Deal with the Lord's dealers, earn your profits, and rejoice in your mind. ||2||

ਸੁਣਿ ਸਾਸਤ ਸਉਦਾਗਰੀ ਸਤੁ ਘੋੜੇ ਲੈ ਚਲੁ ॥

sun saasat sa-udaagree sat ghorhay lai chal.

Let your trade be listening to scripture, and let Truth be the horses you take to sell.

ਖਰਚੁ ਬੰਨੁ ਚੰਗਿਆਈਆ ਮਤੁ ਮਨ ਜਾਣਹਿ ਕਲੁ ॥

kharach bann chang-aa-ee-aa mat man jaaneh kal.

Gather up merits for your travelling expenses, and do not think of tomorrow in your mind.

ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਕੈ ਦੇਸਿ ਜਾਹਿ ਤਾ ਸੁਖਿ ਲਹਹਿ ਮਹਲੁ ॥੩॥

nirankaar kai days jaahi taa sukh laheh mahal. ||3||

When you arrive in the land of the Formless Lord, you shall find peace in the Mansion of His Presence. ||3||

ਲਾਇ ਚਿਤੁ ਕਰਿ ਚਾਕਰੀ ਮੰਨਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਿ ਕੰਮੁ ॥

laa-ay chit kar chaakree man naam kar kamm.

Let your service be the focusing of your consciousness, and let your occupation be the placing of faith in the Naam.

ਬੰਨੁ ਬਦੀਆ ਕਰਿ ਧਾਵਣੀ ਤਾ ਕੋ ਆਖੈ ਧੰਨੁ ॥

bann badee-aa kar Dhaavnee taa ko aakhai Dhan.

Let your work be restraint from sin; only then will people call you blessed.

ਨਾਨਕ ਵੇਖੈ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਚਵਗਣ ਵੰਨੁ ॥੪॥੨॥

naanak vaykhai nadar kar charhai chavgan vann. ||4||2||

O Nanak, the Lord shall look upon you with His Glance of Grace, and you shall be blessed with honor four times over. ||4||2||

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee -Ang 595

Bhai shaib great shabad

As in gurbani it tells us to beeje naam into our bodys, if we have beejed naam in our past lives then we will see effects of Naam quicker in this life, the way to beeje naam is to do simran on gur-mantar. As a farmer does we should do the same after he spreads his seed he fences his crop from animals within his farm so they dont destroy his yield. We as farmers of naam have to the same but those udhik (unseen) animals that destroy our beeje are called, Kaam, Kroad, Loub, Mou and hankar. Sat-guru has told that there are three main shopping centres where our mind goes when its thinks they are Tamo Gun, Rajo Gun and Sato Gun (these are all under the control of kaal) Ill explain breifly what these consit of.

"Khand patal deep sab loya sab kale vash aap kiya"

"Treh gun kale kee sarkara"

"Raj gun tam gun sat gun kaheah eh teri sab miya"

Within gurbani the four things that are parvaan from god there called chaar padarat (four goods) they are Kaam (if in grisht) arthchara (livelyhood work so'on) Dharam (sato gun) and Naam which we Receive from Sat-guru

These Tra Gun are under the control of kaal it’s his job to keep our mind (mun) occupied in these thoughts.

Tamo Gun aka Bick sagar (sea of poison)

Kaam- Sex

Kroud-Anger

Loub-Attachment

Mou-Greed

Hankar-pride/ego

Eirka-jealousy

Dwait-mistrust

Ninda/chugli-back chating/spreeding lies

Rajo Gun aka ugan sagar (sea of fire)

Artchara- lively hood

Asha- short term worldly goal

Bilasha-long term worldly goals

Trishna-wants

Chinta-anxiety

Fournai-Genral thoughts

Vichaar- Thinking

Sato gun aka sukh sagar (sea of peace)

Dharam-faith

Jat/sat-Truth/honor

Dheai-forgivingness

Santok-politeness

Sanjam-helpfulness

Pun dhaan-charity

Nimrita-Humbleness

Bhav saagar sukh saagar maahee ||

In the terrifying world-ocean, there is an ocean of peace.

Bhav saagar naav har saevaa jo charrai this thaarag raam ||

Service to the Lord is the boat to carry us across the terrifying world-ocean.

Jaethae jathan karath thae ddoobae bhav saagar nehee thaariou rae ||

Those who try to do things by their own efforts are drowned in the terrifying world-ocean; they cannot cross over.

When our mind is sent into this world we are born in bhav sagar (world sea) this consists of tam gun raj gun and sat gun, most of us due to eganta (lack of giaan) are born, live and die here. Within gurbani Patsha explains the naksha (blueprint) of bhavsagar (world sea) "ill find it and put it up asap"

So when satguru bani tells us to jaap Naam he tells us to put up a fence, this is only put up when our mind leaves the thoughts of tamo gun, rajo gun and sits within the thoughts of sato gun this is where gurshaib puts a fense around the beeje we have put. And when this beeje is ready with this same naam we do soda (trade) with satguru in Darga.

That’s the short of it

Waheguru

Bhai shaib this is a that shabad where patsha explain the blueprint of bhav sagar. (The shabads not from the beginning)

Sireeraag mehalaa 1 ||

Siree Raag, First Mehla:

bhavajal bikham ddaraavano naa ka(n)dhhee naa paar ||

The terrifying world-ocean is difficult and dreadful; there is no shore on this side or the one beyond.

naa baerree naa thuleharraa naa this va(n)jh malaar ||

There is no boat, no raft, no oars and no boatman.

sathigur bhai kaa bohithhaa nadharee paar outhaar ||4||

The True Guru is the only boat on this terrifying ocean. His Glance of Grace carries us across. ||4||

eik thil piaaraa visarai dhukh laagai sukh jaae ||

If I forget my Beloved, even for an instant, suffering overtakes me and peace departs.

jihavaa jalo jalaavanee naam n japai rasaae ||

Let that tongue be burnt in flames, which does not chant the Naam with love.

ghatt binasai dhukh agalo jam pakarrai pashhuthaae ||5||

When the pitcher of the body bursts, there is terrible pain; those who are caught by the Minister of Death regret and repent. ||5||

maeree maeree kar geae than dhhan kalath n saathh ||

Crying out, ""Mine! Mine!"", they have departed, but their bodies, their wealth, and their wives did not go with them.

bin naavai dhhan baadh hai bhoolo maarag aathh ||

Without the Name, wealth is useless; deceived by wealth, they have lost their way.

saacho saahib saeveeai guramukh akathho kaathh ||6||

So serve the True Lord; become Gurmukh, and speak the Unspoken. ||6||

aavai jaae bhavaaeeai paeiai kirath kamaae ||

Coming and going, people wander through reincarnation; they act according to their past actions.

poorab likhiaa kio maetteeai likhiaa laekh rajaae ||

How can one's pre-ordained destiny be erased? It is written in accordance with the Lord's Will.

bin har naam n shhutteeai guramath milai milaae ||7||

Without the Name of the Lord, no one can be saved. Through the Guru's Teachings, we are united in His Union. ||7||

this bin maeraa ko nehee jis kaa jeeo paraan ||

Without Him, I have no one to call my own. My soul and my breath of life belong to Him.

houmai mamathaa jal balo lobh jalo abhimaan ||

May my egotism and possessiveness be burnt to ashes, and my greed and egotistical pride consigned to the fire.

nwnk sbdu vIcwrIAY pweIAY guxI inDwnu ]8]10]

naanak sabadh veechaareeai paaeeai gunee nidhhaan ||8||10||

O Nanak, contemplating the Shabad, the Treasure of Excellence is obtained. ||8||10||

Bhai shaib this is a that shabad where patsha explain the blueprint of bhav sagar. (The shabads not from the beginning)

Sireeraag mehalaa 1 ||

Siree Raag, First Mehla:

bhavajal bikham ddaraavano naa ka(n)dhhee naa paar ||

The terrifying world-ocean is difficult and dreadful; there is no shore on this side or the one beyond.

naa baerree naa thuleharraa naa this va(n)jh malaar ||

There is no boat, no raft, no oars and no boatman.

sathigur bhai kaa bohithhaa nadharee paar outhaar ||4||

The True Guru is the only boat on this terrifying ocean. His Glance of Grace carries us across. ||4||

eik thil piaaraa visarai dhukh laagai sukh jaae ||

If I forget my Beloved, even for an instant, suffering overtakes me and peace departs.

jihavaa jalo jalaavanee naam n japai rasaae ||

Let that tongue be burnt in flames, which does not chant the Naam with love.

ghatt binasai dhukh agalo jam pakarrai pashhuthaae ||5||

When the pitcher of the body bursts, there is terrible pain; those who are caught by the Minister of Death regret and repent. ||5||

maeree maeree kar geae than dhhan kalath n saathh ||

Crying out, ""Mine! Mine!"", they have departed, but their bodies, their wealth, and their wives did not go with them.

bin naavai dhhan baadh hai bhoolo maarag aathh ||

Without the Name, wealth is useless; deceived by wealth, they have lost their way.

saacho saahib saeveeai guramukh akathho kaathh ||6||

So serve the True Lord; become Gurmukh, and speak the Unspoken. ||6||

aavai jaae bhavaaeeai paeiai kirath kamaae ||

Coming and going, people wander through reincarnation; they act according to their past actions.

poorab likhiaa kio maetteeai likhiaa laekh rajaae ||

How can one's pre-ordained destiny be erased? It is written in accordance with the Lord's Will.

bin har naam n shhutteeai guramath milai milaae ||7||

Without the Name of the Lord, no one can be saved. Through the Guru's Teachings, we are united in His Union. ||7||

this bin maeraa ko nehee jis kaa jeeo paraan ||

Without Him, I have no one to call my own. My soul and my breath of life belong to Him.

houmai mamathaa jal balo lobh jalo abhimaan ||

May my egotism and possessiveness be burnt to ashes, and my greed and egotistical pride consigned to the fire.

nwnk sbdu vIcwrIAY pweIAY guxI inDwnu ]8]10]

naanak sabadh veechaareeai paaeeai gunee nidhhaan ||8||10||

O Nanak, contemplating the Shabad, the Treasure of Excellence is obtained. ||8||10||

waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguroo

Bhai shaib in bani it explains that we have to die but die in a way that we are reborn again in this same body, it called dieing trough the shabad

Sabadh marahu fir jeevahu sadh hee thaa fir maran n hoee ||

Dying trough the Word of the Shabad, you shall live forever, and you shall never die again.

Sabadh marai thaa oudhharai paaeae mokh dhuaar ||

If one dies through the Shabad, then salvation is obtained, and one finds the Door of Liberation.

sabadh marai fir maran n hoe ||

One who dies in the Word of the Shabad, shall never again have to die.

This is the same as sehaj, I've touched on this topic before

sehajae marai amar hoe soee ||2||

But he alone becomes immortal, who dies with intuitive understanding. ||2||

The knowlwgde to die trough shabad is given to Sants and Sadhus this knowledge is also called bibaek budhh, Akakt Katah.

saadhhasa(n)gath mil budhh bibaek ||3||

Joining the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, my understanding is refined. ||3||

Santh milai kishh suneeai keheeai ||

When you meet a Saint, talk to him and listen.

When with great preordained destiny you meet a Sadhu you will be taught the way to die trough the shabad. As this is the first thing you have to learn before being thought how to par (pass) the punj Tat (elements)

This is when unhadh shabad start vibrating and from here Thoor is purgat (plays).

Unhadh shabad thoor vajia

From the unhadh shabad thoor is revealed.

binava(n)th naanak gur charan laagae vaajae anehadh thoorae ||40||1||

Prays Nanak, touching the Guru's Feet, the unstruck sound vibrates thoor that celestial bugles resounds. ||40||1||

When we die through this shabad we are passing trough Bhav sagar.

Bhai shaib in bani it explains that we have to die but die in a way that we are reborn again in this same body, it called dieing trough the shabad

Sabadh marahu fir jeevahu sadh hee thaa fir maran n hoee ||

Dying trough the Word of the Shabad, you shall live forever, and you shall never die again.

Sabadh marai thaa oudhharai paaeae mokh dhuaar ||

If one dies through the Shabad, then salvation is obtained, and one finds the Door of Liberation.

sabadh marai fir maran n hoe ||

One who dies in the Word of the Shabad, shall never again have to die.

This is the same as sehaj, I've touched on this topic before

sehajae marai amar hoe soee ||2||

But he alone becomes immortal, who dies with intuitive understanding. ||2||

The knowlwgde to die trough shabad is given to Sants and Sadhus this knowledge is also called bibaek budhh, Akakt Katah.

saadhhasa(n)gath mil budhh bibaek ||3||

Joining the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, my understanding is refined. ||3||

Santh milai kishh suneeai keheeai ||

When you meet a Saint, talk to him and listen.

When with great preordained destiny you meet a Sadhu you will be taught the way to die trough the shabad. As this is the first thing you have to learn before being thought how to par (pass) the punj Tat (elements)

This is when unhadh shabad start vibrating and from here Thoor is purgat (plays).

Unhadh shabad thoor vajia

From the unhadh shabad thoor is revealed.

binava(n)th naanak gur charan laagae vaajae anehadh thoorae ||40||1||

Prays Nanak, touching the Guru's Feet, the unstruck sound vibrates thoor that celestial bugles resounds. ||40||1||

When we die through this shabad we are passing trough Bhav sagar.

waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguroo

In this world people die every day, but none knows how to die. Whosoever dies, let them die such a death that they may not have to die again.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji -Ang 1366