- *coventry* - *youth* - *akhand* - *kirtan* - *darbar* -

im not sure what you are talking about but you do realise that katha of the guru is gurbani, therefore keertan is katha, as we sing gurbani

im a bit confused here, so y do they call what sant isher singh jee rara sahib used to do as katha, why call the veechar of guru granth sahib jee by lets say sant kartaar singh jee as katha also, if katha is only singhing gurbani? please let me know baba jee as you have confused me now.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest baba amarjeet singh
im not sure what you are talking about but you do realise that katha of the guru is gurbani, therefore keertan is katha, as we sing gurbani

im a bit confused here, so y do they call what sant isher singh jee rara sahib used to do as katha, why call the veechar of guru granth sahib jee by lets say sant kartaar singh jee as katha also, if katha is only singhing gurbani? please let me know baba jee as you have confused me now.

there is bhai isher singh jee rara sahib katha

there is bhai kartaar singh jee katha

there is guru sahib katha, har kee katha, which is gurbani

you have confused me even more. is what sant isher singh jee does katha of guru jee or not?, is what sant kartaar singh jee does katha of guru jee or not?

Guest baba amarjeet singh

you have confused me even more. is what sant isher singh jee does katha of guru jee or not?, is what sant kartaar singh jee does katha of guru jee or not?

katha from bhai isher singh is what bhai isher singhs says

katha from vahiguru is gurbani because thats what sri guru granth sahib jee says

Guest Hardeep_S_Khalsa
Those who want to listen to katha can go to the Smethwick prog. Those who want to listen to pure keertan, without any inferences can go to the Coventry Prog.

Sometimes when you listen to keertan and then have a paarcharak doing katha and then keertan again, its hard for the mind to get settled back into the keertan . Thats why some people may just perfere to listen to pure keertan.

Vah ji vah!!! Now katha is an 'INTERFERENCE'!!!!!!!

If the mind was truely settled my friend then it would be in anand from listening to the katha as well as the kirtan. If the mind is enchanted by the tabla beat and the sound of the music then that is a different thing. Each to his own. But please .... dont insult katha by calling it an 'INTERFERENCE'.

Seems like the old traditions of having kirtan and katha darbars are fading with the rise of the ultra super fast tabla beats. Just as a pointer ... sikhi to the max is a starting point, however it can never replace katha vachaks and personal khojh of gurbani.

thank you

''Those who want to listen to pure keertan, without any inferences can go to the Coventry Prog.''

khalsa jee please define pure kirtan for me

thanks

OMG!! u lot are actuallty debating wether Katha is better or Kirtan!!

how damn stupid!!

ਸੋਰਠਿ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਹੋਆ ਸਹਾਈ ਕਥਾ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਸੁਖਦਾਈ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੇ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਜਪਿ ਅਨਦੁ ਕਰਹੁ ਨਿਤ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ॥੧॥ ਹਰਿ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਿਮਰਹੁ ਭਾਈ ॥ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਹਰਿ ਬਿਸਰਿ ਨ ਕਬਹੂ ਜਾਈ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਮਰੈ ਸੋ ਜੀਵੈ ॥ ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਕਰਮਿ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੋ ਜਨੁ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਥੀਵੈ ॥੨॥ ਬਿਘਨ ਬਿਨਾਸਨ ਸਭਿ ਦੁਖ ਨਾਸਨ ਗੁਰ ਚਰਣੀ ਮਨੁ ਲਾਗਾ ॥ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵਤ ਅਚੁਤ ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗਿ ਜਾਗਾ ॥੩॥ ਮਨ ਇਛੇ ਸੇਈ ਫਲ ਪਾਏ ਹਰਿ ਕੀ ਕਥਾ ਸੁਹੇਲੀ ॥ ਆਦਿ ਅੰਤਿ ਮਧਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਉ ਸੋ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਹੋਆ ਬੇਲੀ ॥੪॥੧੬॥੨੭॥

ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰਤ ਆਨਦੁ ਭਇਆ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਸੁਖ ਸਾਰੁ ॥ ਜਪਿ ਜਪਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਕਾ ਪੂਰਨ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ॥੧॥ ਚਰਨ ਕਮਲ ਗੁਰ ਕੇ ਜਪਤ ਹਰਿ ਜਪਿ ਹਉ ਜੀਵਾ ॥ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਆਰਾਧਤੇ ਮੁਖਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਵਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਜੀਅ ਜੰਤ ਸਭਿ ਸੁਖਿ ਬਸੇ ਸਭ ਕੈ ਮਨਿ ਲੋਚ ॥ ਪਰਉਪਕਾਰੁ ਨਿਤ ਚਿਤਵਤੇ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਛੁ ਪੋਚ ॥੨॥ ਧੰਨੁ ਸੁ ਥਾਨੁ ਬਸੰਤ ਧੰਨੁ ਜਹ ਜਪੀਐ ਨਾਮੁ ॥ ਕਥਾ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਅਤਿ ਘਨਾ ਸੁਖ ਸਹਜ ਬਿਸ੍ਰਾਮੁ ॥੩॥ ਮਨ ਤੇ ਕਦੇ ਨ ਵੀਸਰੈ ਅਨਾਥ ਕੋ ਨਾਥ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸਰਣਾਗਤੀ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਹਾਥ ॥੪॥੨੯॥੫੯॥

ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਆਪਨਾ ਨਾਠਾ ਦੁਖ ਠਾਉ ॥ ਬਿਸ੍ਰਾਮ ਪਾਏ ਮਿਲਿ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਤਾ ਤੇ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਨ ਧਾਉ ॥੧॥ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੀ ਗੁਰ ਆਪਨੇ ਚਰਨਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਬਲਿ ਜਾਉ ॥ ਅਨਦ ਸੂਖ ਮੰਗਲ ਬਨੇ ਪੇਖਤ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਉ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਕਥਾ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਰਾਗ ਨਾਦ ਧੁਨਿ ਇਹੁ ਬਨਿਓ ਸੁਆਉ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸੁਪ੍ਰਸੰਨ ਭਏ ਬਾਂਛਤ ਫਲ ਪਾਉ ॥੨॥੬॥੭੦॥

ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ ਸੰਤਨ ਕੈ ਸੁਨੀਅਤ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੀ ਬਾਤ ॥ ਕਥਾ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਆਨੰਦ ਮੰਗਲ ਧੁਨਿ ਪੂਰਿ ਰਹੀ ਦਿਨਸੁ ਅਰੁ ਰਾਤਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਅਪਨੇ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਕੀਨੇ ਨਾਮ ਅਪੁਨੇ ਕੀ ਕੀਨੀ ਦਾਤਿ ॥ ਆਠ ਪਹਰ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਵਤ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੇ ਕਾਮ ਕ੍ਰੋਧ ਇਸੁ ਤਨ ਤੇ ਜਾਤ ॥੧॥ ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਿ ਅਘਾਏ ਪੇਖਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਦਰਸਨੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਹਰਿ ਰਸੁ ਭੋਜਨੁ ਖਾਤ ॥ ਚਰਨ ਸਰਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਤੇਰੀ ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਸੰਤਸੰਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਤ ॥੨॥੪॥੮੪॥

Well I am a manmukh, I am not at the stage your talking about, therefore I need to listen to more keertan.

I think their has been a misconfusion in my post and I opologise for that. What I meant was i prefer to go to a keertan prog, just listen to 4-5 hours of pure (continous) keertan, instread of going to to a prog with keertan, then katha and then keertan. Thats what I meant. I did'nt at any point critise katha and I don't ever intend to.

The ultra super fast tabla beats are irrelevant.

What I mean my pure keertan is continous keertan, non stop.

You are absolutely right, their is no need to argue about katha.

CONCLUSION:

Those who want to listen to the beautiful katha done by amazing gursikhs about our great shaheed singhs and Guru's can attend Smeithwick.

Those whom want to listen to continuous keertan without any breaks, can attend the Coventry prog.

I oppologise if I offended anyone

Gurfateh

Those who want to listen to katha can go to the Smethwick prog. Those who want to listen to pure keertan, without any inferences can go to the Coventry Prog.

Sometimes when you listen to keertan and then have a paarcharak doing katha and then keertan again, its hard for the mind to get settled back into the keertan . Thats why some people may just perfere to listen to pure keertan.

Vah ji vah!!! Now katha is an 'INTERFERENCE'!!!!!!!

If the mind was truely settled my friend then it would be in anand from listening to the katha as well as the kirtan. If the mind is enchanted by the tabla beat and the sound of the music then that is a different thing. Each to his own. But please .... dont insult katha by calling it an 'INTERFERENCE'.

Seems like the old traditions of having kirtan and katha darbars are fading with the rise of the ultra super fast tabla beats. Just as a pointer ... sikhi to the max is a starting point, however it can never replace katha vachaks and personal khojh of gurbani.

thank you

katha is fine, but akhand keertan is best, therefore maybe do katha at a separate time

the point of going to coventry is to show support for the monthly programme

go coventry! :TH:

sB qy aUqm hir kI kQw ]

sabh thae ootham har kee kathhaa ||

Highest of all is the Lord's Speech.

i think i would rather get more peace of mind listenin to katha then going mental