Death

jii

Death.

I've heard many times, people speak the words, ‘what had I done wrong in my previous life, that made me suffer this..’.

I wondered. If one takes a few seconds, just a few seconds, no more no less, to imagine themselves on their death bed.., how long after the life support machine can one continue to foresee the future. For me, that mere moment stops. A black out arises. At that moment, is when our future is decided on whether one re-unites with God, or passes another cycle of life.

I just wondered, if we can’t remember our previous life; should it matter what our next life beholds if one was not to re-unit with God. Further, whether it involves much worse suffering, would one actually live that life.

Has anyone every wondered how many previous life’s they’ve had, if any; and can any actually life to tell the tale.

Its just something I wondered.

WJKK WJKF

do a lot of bagti..you'll recieve the blessings and actaully see for yourself how long it has taken you to come here..but don't do bagti just to get rewarded..do it with love for god

First, thanks to both your replies.

I briefly browsed through sukhmani sahib and saw illustrations centre around death which was interesting.

I’ve also googled ‘bagti’, but I’ve failed to understand what the terms means and requires. I would appreciate if one could explain what this is a little further please.

Thank you.

Guest Akirtghan

gauVI guAwryrI mhlw 5 ]

gourree guaaraeree mehalaa 5 ||

Gauree Gwaarayree, Fifth Mehla:

keI jnm Bey kIt pqMgw ]

kee janam bheae keett patha(n)gaa ||

In so many incarnations, you were a worm and an insect;

keI jnm gj mIn kurMgw ]

kee janam gaj meen kura(n)gaa ||

in so many incarnations, you were an elephant, a fish and a deer.

keI jnm pMKI srp hoieE ]

kee janam pa(n)khee sarap hoeiou ||

In so many incarnations, you were a bird and a snake.

keI jnm hYvr ibRK joieE ]1]

kee janam hai// brikh joeiou ||1||

In so many incarnations, you were yoked as an ox and a horse. ||1||

imlu jgdIs imln kI brIAw ]

mil jagadhees milan kee bareeaa ||

Meet the Lord of the Universe - now is the time to meet Him.

icrMkwl ieh dyh sMjrIAw ]1] rhwau ]

chira(n)kaal eih dhaeh sa(n)jareeaa ||1|| rehaao ||

After so very long, this human body was fashioned for you. ||1||Pause||

keI jnm sYl igir kirAw ]

kee janam sail gir kariaa ||

In so many incarnations, you were rocks and mountains;

keI jnm grB ihir KirAw ]

kee janam garabh hir khariaa ||

in so many incarnations, you were aborted in the womb;

keI jnm swK kir aupwieAw ]

kee janam saakh kar oupaaeiaa ||

in so many incarnations, you developed branches and leaves;

lK caurwsIh join BRmwieAw ]2]

lakh chouraaseeh jon bhramaaeiaa ||2||

you wandered through 8.4 million incarnations. ||2||

swDsMig BieE jnmu prwpiq ]

saadhhasa(n)g bhaeiou janam paraapath ||

Through the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, you obtained this human life.

kir syvw Bju hir hir gurmiq ]

kar saevaa bhaj har har guramath ||

Do seva - selfless service; follow the Guru's Teachings, and vibrate the Lord's Name, Har, Har.

iqAwig mwnu JUTu AiBmwnu ]

thiaag maan jhoot(h) abhimaan ||

Abandon pride, falsehood and arrogance.

jIvq mrih drgh prvwnu ]3]

jeevath marehi dharageh paravaan ||3||

Remain dead while yet alive, and you shall be welcomed in the Court of the Lord. ||3||

jo ikCu hoAw su quJ qy hogu ]

jo kishh hoaa s thujh thae hog ||

Whatever has been, and whatever shall be, comes from You, Lord.

Avru n dUjw krxY jogu ]

avar n dhoojaa karanai jog ||

No one else can do anything at all.

qw imlIAY jw lYih imlwie ]

thaa mileeai jaa laihi milaae ||

We are united with You, when You unite us with Yourself.

khu nwnk hir hir gux gwie ]4]3]72]

kahu naanak har har gun gaae ||4||3||72||

Says Nanak, sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, Har, Har. ||4||3||72||

to answer your question briefly. for a sikh, bhagit is simply serving Guru Sahib with tan (body), man(mind), dhan (money).

with tan we can serve guru sahib by doing seva for the needy, doing seva at guruwara, it can be anything actually.

with money, we serve guru sahib by donating our honestly earned money to the needy. (concept of daswandh)

with man we can serve guru shaib and loving them, by trying to follow his shown path

Guest Akirtghan
I just wondered, if we can’t remember our previous life; should it matter what our next life beholds if one was not to re-unit with God. Further, whether it involves much worse suffering, would one actually live that life.

thats the beauty of the play my friend :umm: god has made us totally blind and has made us wander, the play only concludes when a blind person can learn to find their way in the great darkness of maya.

Has anyone every wondered how many previous life’s they’ve had, if any; and can any actually life to tell the tale.
As one goes deeper into spirituality, one beings to see future. bhai rama ji in his book has mentioned that initially he would just know that it would rain tommorrow, even tho the weather was sunny on that day. and as he progressed on the spiritual path, he began to see his past lives. bhramgyani's can see not just theirs but also other's past lives.

for example, baba kartar singh jee, had great amount of respect of maharaja of patiala. one singh asked for the reason and babaji said that in his previous life, this raja was a very very devoted sikh. but one day a though arose in his mind that he should have big mansions and lots of queens and that is the reason he is a king now. maharaja has a lot of kamai still ....

if one was to become a real sikh of the guru...you will please him by doing your nitnem...until we clean ourselves...and our minds from the filth by doing seva as one of our bro/sis has kindly stated guru sahibs words above us...by doing seva ...the best ones are like cleaning the shoes at the gurdwara doing the "dirty" work, sorry just a lack of a better word...yea like washing the dishes...and all that good stuff lol...but anyhow..forget the past...whatever happened has happened..what matters now is that your here right now in the present..only question that we gotta answer is...what are you going to do right now at this moment, are you gon waste another oppurtunity to do good or act upon it?

suffering doesn't necessarily mean a bad thing, it just means we still need to learn more...only thing we can ask God for is..."teach us to be whatever you desire us to be and not to loose faith in him/her at any time" and see where it lands us in respect with our life after death.

bul chuk marf..

wjkk wjkf

<<< For me, that mere moment stops. A black out arises. At that moment, is when our future is decided on whether one re-unites with God, or passes another cycle of life. >>>

I think what happens is that as your eyes close in this world, you open them in the next world. So, guys if you were hoping for that long sleep, it never happens. You wake up the other side and depending on what your kumai is (or not as the case may be) you take one of two paths. If you had been blessed with Sadh-Sangat, Guru–sewa, Naam-simran then you will take a different route to the other type of person who is helped along his way to Dharam rajas court by the jam dhoots.

<<< I just wondered, if we can’t remember our previous life; should it matter what our next life beholds if one was not to re-unit with God. >>>

Any re-taking of birth is fraught with danger. First of all there is the pain of birth and death itself, secondly if you end up being an animal then it is a matter of either you eating another animal or being eaten yourself - in most cases, except for domesticated animals, in which case it is a life of servitude – either way it is not something that we would want to happen. Even if one takes a human lifeform then who is to say that you would make the right life choices that you were once again of Gurus path.

There have been cases where children have remembered their previous life and will go to their old village and point out their old family. One not so long ago, I think it was a boy of about 6 – 7 who went into a village and told his parents everything about the village and pointed out a woman who was his wife and his children (who were older then him !)

A few spiritually enlightened people (dare I say the word !) can see peoples past lives and past karams - and its like watching a movie, but because of their spiritual level they do not divulge this information. Sometimes if a person has no kumai, they can see this and they will say “all I can see is hunddia (bones)” ie, there is nothing there but bones, these people have a long way to go in their journey.

Here is a shabad by Bhagat Tirlochan ho shows us what happens is we still have longing for wordly things at the time of death :

Goojaree:

At the very last moment, one who thinks of wealth, and dies in such thoughts,

shall be reincarnated over and over again, in the form of serpents. ||1||

O sister, do not forget the Name of the Lord of the Universe. ||Pause||

At the very last moment, he who thinks of women, and dies in such thoughts,

shall be reincarnated over and over again as a prostitute. ||2||

At the very last moment, one who thinks of his children, and dies in such thoughts,

shall be reincarnated over and over again as a pig. ||3||

At the very last moment, one who thinks of mansions, and dies in such thoughts,

shall be reincarnated over and over again as a goblin. ||4||

At the very last moment, one who thinks of the Lord, and dies in such thoughts,

says Trilochan, that man shall be liberated; the Lord shall abide in his heart. ||5||2||

Here is a shabad by Bhagat Tirlochan ho shows us what happens is we still have longing for wordly things at the time of death :

Goojaree:

At the very last moment, one who thinks of wealth, and dies in such thoughts,

shall be reincarnated over and over again, in the form of serpents. ||1||

O sister, do not forget the Name of the Lord of the Universe. ||Pause||

At the very last moment, he who thinks of women, and dies in such thoughts,

shall be reincarnated over and over again as a prostitute. ||2||

At the very last moment, one who thinks of his children, and dies in such thoughts,

shall be reincarnated over and over again as a pig. ||3||

At the very last moment, one who thinks of mansions, and dies in such thoughts,

shall be reincarnated over and over again as a goblin. ||4||

At the very last moment, one who thinks of the Lord, and dies in such thoughts,

says Trilochan, that man shall be liberated; the Lord shall abide in his heart. ||5||2||

im just wondering, where did was this shabad cited from?