Identity Of A Gursikh

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh

Sangat jio could you provide a number of tuks either from guru granth sahib ji, but more likely from dasam bani. which highlight the importance of the external aspect of identity for a gursikh- so the importance of a gursikhs distinct appearance.

Thankyou

:wub:

Gurfateh

Guest Narinder Singh

Guru Sahib never put too much emphasis on the external, as it isnt that difficult too adopt the external appearance of a Sikh (or it shouldnt be).

A lot of Sikhs work backwards, they adopt the outside first, then work within. A prime example and a result of this would be our corrupt leaders and politicians.

But what someone is from the inside should reflect what they look like on the outside, and vice-versa, otherwise they're being hypocritical.

Fateh.

Considering that my cat has decided to go to sleep in my lap, I thought I would add a few things.

Gurbani isn't like a clear book of rules which lays down commands and says 'do this, but not that.'

To continue with Veerji's point above, see these shabads which talk about looking one way on the outside and acting differently.

Also, we obey Guru Sahib's Hukam - (here are some shabads about that) - and considering that our Guru Sahebaan laid down principles for us regarding outwardly appearance, we are obeying Guru Saheb's Will. We were taught to dress simply; Gurbani tells us riches and fancy clothes won't get us anywhere and are unecessary. Guru Saheb created us perfectly - therefore we keep our kes. Everything follows on. Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave us the Amrit Sanchaar - from that came the panj kakkar. See the rehitname on Sikhitothemax for more on Rehit.

Importance of External Rehit

Spiritual Significance of External Rehit

Hope this helped :wub: .