Sikh school plan approved

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/educati...ion/3424115.stm

Sikh school plan approved

Organisers of the school say it will help to keep Sikh culture alive

Plans for a Sikh primary school have been given the go-ahead.

The school, to be built in Slough, Berkshire, would be only the second Sikh primary in England - the other being in Hayes, west London.

Teachers on the local schools organisation committee had voted narrowly against the idea, feeling that the town has enough schools already.

Sikh parents took the case to the Office of the Schools Adjudicator, who has now ruled in their favour.

Delay

The adjudicator, Philip Hunter, approved the proposal with the modification that the school would open in September 2006 not 2005.

He said the required planning permission for the building of the new school, next to St Ethelbert's Catholic Primary School in Wellington Street, would need to be granted by April 2005.

Dr Hunter concluded "that there was a strong enough justification to approve the proposal on parent preference and standards grounds".

Slough has the highest concentration of Sikhs in the country, 9.1% according to the last census.

The deputy leader of the borough council, George Davidson, said there had been some concern locally that - with falling numbers of primary age children - another school was unnecessary.

But he said there would be "general celebration" that the proposal had been approved.

Emotional

The proposed site is council land which has been earmark

ed for educational purposes but not used.

One of the parents pressing for the school, Nick Kandola, said planning permission was not a foregone conclusion, however, because it is a "green belt" area.

But he is pleased about the adjudication.

"There's a lot of emotion wrapped up in this now, particularly for Slough parents - they say 'When are you going to open it, I have got kids I want to send there'," Mr Kandola said.

Funding has been promised by the Department for Education and Skills for the school, where a fifth of the 400 or so places will be reserved for non-Sikhs.

Although there will be a daily Sikh focus, the school will be multi-denominational in its teaching and staff.

"We take the same line of thought that a lot of Christian governors do," Mr Kandola said. "We feel there needs to be more emphasis on values in schools."

Guest Akaal108

Thats a great news.. I hope now our sikhs start preaching from puratan texts... I think there shouldnt be any english translations of any sikh scriptures......

If they want to pass the course learn "GURMUKHI", "BRAJ", "ARABIC", "FARSI" and MOTHER OF ALL LANGUAGES YES "SANSKRIT"

We defo not want our kids to say prayers in english in future... so its better to hold the traditions now before its too late...

Thats a great news.. I hope now our sikhs start preaching from puratan texts... I think there shouldnt be any english translations of any sikh scriptures......

If they want to pass the course learn "GURMUKHI", "BRAJ", "ARABIC", "FARSI" and MOTHER OF ALL LANGUAGES YES "SANSKRIT"

We defo not want our kids to say prayers in english in future... so its better to hold the traditions now before its too late...

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

N30 Singh

Stop parroting Lallesvari's BS. One only needs to learn Punjabi, Braj and if possible Sanskrit. What use is Arabic ??. Gurbani uses a few Arabic words but you don't have to learn a whole language just to be able to understand these words.

GurFateh

Bikramjit

Guest Akaal108

Bikkie by learning arabic, sikhs of england wouldnt be furious as they are now (thinking how should they beat their enemy [extermist muslims] ).

Remember those extermist ahmaadiya muslims are no different than rss hindu wing.

Whats the better revenge out there by shuting them with their own tools ? ;)

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

I agree with Navjot Singh Veerjee that there is no harm in learning languages. Yes we can concentrate more on punjabi, brij & other lanaguages which are majorily used in gurbani but no harm to learn anything.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

BHUL CHUK MAAF

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

what do you meanwhats the poiint of learing all those languages. Guru gobind singhlearned 15 languages even though half of them are not used in bani. Guru gobind singh grasp as much knowlegde as you could this is a good ifthe kids learn all those languages.

vidiay vicharee ta parupkaree

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

The point I was making was that in order to understand Gurbani you need to know Punjabi, Braj and Sanskrit. There is no need to learn Arabic to understand Gurbani because very few Arabic words are used in Gurbani.

Mr Singh

If you can read Punjabi and can understand basic Hindi then you should be able to understand Braj.

GurFateh

Bikramjit

what do you meanwhats the poiint of learing all those languages. Guru gobind singhlearned 15 languages even though half of them are not used in bani. Guru gobind singh grasp as much knowlegde as you could this is a good ifthe kids learn all those languages. 

vidiay vicharee ta parupkaree

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

The point I was making was that in order to understand Gurbani you need to know Punjabi, Braj and Sanskrit. There is no need to learn Arabic to understand Gurbani because very few Arabic words are used in Gurbani.

Mr Singh

If you can read Punjabi and can understand basic Hindi then you should be able to understand Braj.

GurFateh

Bikramjit

erm I understand basic Hindi, and Panjabi, and I can read and write Gurmukhi, a w, but it works.

but I still don't comprehend verything in Bani,

I udnerstand simple things to udnerstand such as

'Man Ji

te jaag jit' etc

but not really many things blush.gif

Cause I noticed, when I used to read Desh Pardesh, I understood quite a lot but not everything, cause there were complex panjabi words,

is it SUCH words used in Gurbani or :T:

bhull chukk maf ;)

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!