Jithai Mayra Satguru Bettha.

Bundha

My knowledge is a little sketchy but I shall try my best.

There was once a raja in the middle ages who was spiritually minded but he was surrounded by the normal hangers on who deceived him and played upon his generosity. He had much wealth but felt empty inside.

Once while out walking he came across a person who was singing something. The Raja stopped him and enquired.

“This is the bani of Guru Nanak that I am singing” the Sikh answered. He then proceeded to tell the Raja about Guru Ji. The more he listened the more he longed to meet Guru Ji. The Sikh ended “That is all you need Rajan, piyar in your heart and Guru Nanak Dev Ji will surely come give you darshan.”

“But how will I recognise him” the Raja asked.

“There are two markers” the Sikh told him “When your eyes meet his, you will have no sudh budh, and secondly where ever my Satguru sits the land around becomes fertile and sprouts flowers and fruit.”

For a long time the Raja had a yearning for Guru Ji. This was noticed by his court officials and pandits also. They thought that if they could pass themselves off as Guru Ji they would be showered with gifts and wealth. So one of them dressed up as a holy person and went out into the woods. The others came rushing to the King. “Guru Nanak has arrived and is waiting for you“ they shouted. With joy in his heart he went out into the woods. When he met the impostor he remembered the Sikhs words. Firstly he felt nothing in his body, secondly the land remained barren. He was not pleased and promptly threw them all in the dungeons. As time went by we met a few holy persons but none satisfied him.

The all knowing Guru had made his way to the land of the Raja.

“Chall Mardana, let us go this way” Guru Ji told his companion. In the depths of winter Guru Ji sat down at a clearing in the forest where the trees and bushes were devoid of leaves and fauna, their skeletal branches hard and brittle in the cold.

“There is a peasant to see you” the court officials announced, but the raja was in no mood to meet anyone, he was in a despondent state. From afar Mardana Ji shouted out “The one who you seek is here.” But he had been deceived so many times he did believe. Rather he decided to turn the tables and play a trick himself. He ordered all his court girls to go into the forest and dance infront of the Saadh, to bewitch him with their beauty, to ensnare him, to beguile him. Off the went as instructed ready to weave their hypnotic moves.

As they entered the forest and set eyes on Guru Nanak Dev Ji all notions of dance and mischief disappeared. They bowed infront of Guru Ji and dutifully sat infront of him. “Daughters do not do these kind of things infront of their father “ Guru Ji told them “repeat satnaam waheguru”, they all did and all achieved mukhati.

By this time the Raja had not had any news and decided to check it out himself. As he reached the forest there was no dance, no jangling of jewels, he became annoyed. But as he looked around him the forest had sprung fauna, green grass lay under his feet, sweet smelling flowers popped there heads from all around him, and as he set eyes on the person who sat infront of his normal entourage his legs melted, the cloudiness of his mind cleared, tears rolled down his eyes. “Could eh really be the one?”

“I told you it was him, who you have been longing for” Mardana Ji shouted out. The Raja fell to his knees and placed his head on Guru Ji’s charan. Guru Nanak Dev Ji blessed him. “Be a good king, a just king, do sewa of Saddhus who come into your land and keep Akaap Purkh in your heart at all times.”