Dancer Aditi Mangaldas Rejects Award From Modi Government

Balait_da_Sher

New Delhi, Sep 20 (IANS) In a massive snub to Chief Minister Narendra Modi, renowned dancer Aditi Mangaldas has refused to accept the Gujarat government's Gaurav Puraskar saying it had 'violated, degraded and dishonoured' the humanity and essence of 'Indiannesss and art'.

Stating that she was honoured by the Gujarat State Sangeet Natak Academy awarding her the honour in the field of dance, the kathak exponent said in a hard hitting statement: 'I am unable to accept this award because I do not believe in the policies of the current government in Gujarat and its actions. Since the award is given by the state government, I cannot, in all conscience accept it.'

She went on to say: 'Art is all encompassing and it obliterates all divisions. It removes our self-made, self-imposed barriers of caste, class, language and community.

'It is like a fragrance that travels equally through a gurdwara, a church, a temple and a mosque. It is this space in which the breeze of freedom, of equality and of universality can easily flow.'

In a sharp indictment of the Gujarat government, which has been blamed for the communal polarisation of the state where at least 1,000 people, mostly Muslims, were killed in the 2002 sectarian violence, the Delhi-based artist asked: 'Can one celebrate true art through violence? Can one recognise art through oppression? Can one award art through narrow-minded blinkers?'

She said she was proud to be an Indian and an artist. 'But with humanity and the essence of Indianness and art having been so violated, degraded and dishonoured by the very state government that is offering me this honour, I find it impossible to accept.

'I am sure my fellow Gujaratis, who share my feelings, will support my decision.'

The dancer, who also runs the Drishtikon Dance Foundation, was reportedly to be given the award at a ceremony in Gandhinagar next week.

Same thing happened couple years ago when the Glassgow based Punjabi Writer Gurdeep Singh Puri was awarded the Hind Rattan for his work in Literature by the Indian Government. However He decided not to accept the award as the then Central NRI Minister, Jagdish Tyler was the one who was the Chief Guest at the award function and would be presenting the award. In a statement, GS Puri said he refused to accept the award off a man who has had his hands tainted with the blood of Innocent Sikhs during the 1984 Delhi Riots pogram... hearye.gif :awesome respect.gif