Foundation Stone Of Harmandir Sahib

MPKaur

Thank you Orono Ji and Babbar Shere Ji!

I had never heard of that either until my daughter brought it up. She said her teacher at school was explaining different religious celebrations and mentioned the founding stone as another reason for celebrating Diwali (in addition to Guru's release). Since I don't know everything i wanted to check it out to be certain. Good, I'll tell my daughter and her teacher!

Fateh!

I found on this site http://members.tripod.com/ocssa/diwali.htm

"Why is Diwali Important To Sikhs?

The Third Sikh Teacher, Guru Amar Das institutionalized this as one of the special days when all Sikhs would gather to receive the Gurus blessings at Goindwal. In 1577 the foundation stone of The Golden Temple was laid on Diwali. The Diwali festival took place during the life of the sixth Sikh Guru Hargobind Sahib. The Muslim Emperor Jahengir, imprisoned the Guru and 52 Kings.The Emperor ruled India at this time. The Asian Indians begged the Emperor to release the Guru and the Emperor agreed but the Gurus said also release the kings. Guru ji had a gown made with 52 string pieces for the Hindus to hold. The Guru and the Hindu kings were also freed at Diwali, Sikhs were very happy when their leader was released. Guru Hargobind Sahib went to the Golden Temple Amritsar in the Punjab. Sikh Diwali is recalled throughout India and in many countries; each year to remember Guru ji's release. At Diwali we worship the religious freedom for Sikhs and this is why Diwali is called the Light Festival. "

However, on sikhiwkki it says the year was 1588 but no mention of the exact day.

^^^ i tryed looking for the date and i got like 3 different ones.

i dont know about why other celebrate diwali, on the day that guru ji came back to harminder sahib, divas were lit in his return. thats why we light divas now.

but about the foundation of harminder sahib? no, becasue harminder sahib was built by 4th guru ji.