I Have A Problem

Guest Sunday_Sikh

Guest Sunday_Sikh

I've been a sikh all my life and respect and love the 10 Gurus but have a problem seeing Guru Granth Sahib as the "living guru". I still kind of see Guru Granth Sahib not in the same light as the other Gurus but sort of as a holy book kind of like the Bible. I know when Guru Gobind Singh left the body he said to follow Guru Granth Sahib as yor guru, but this is kind of hard concept for me to grasp. I guess I don't know what I'm bowing to. I do it because I was taught to bow down.

Many people have a problem believing that SGGSJ is Guru and not a book at first. Remember that you're not bowing down to a book, but the Shabad Guru, the Living Guru.

The most important point to remember here is that the people bowed to Guru Angad ONLY when JOT was installed in him. No body bowed to him before the Guruship, which means the Sikhs did not bow to the human body (of Guru Angad) because human body was not Guru, but to the Divine Light which was passed on to that body by Guru Nanak.

When the Guruship was passed on, Guru Granth Sahib too became the embodiment of Divine Light. It should, therefore, be remembered very clearly that bowing before Guru Granth Sahib as Sikhs do, is not a bowing before a book, but it is a bowing before the Divine Light or JOT (Guru) which was passed on when the Guruship was conferred upon it.

No one eva bowed before the bodies of the Guru, but before the Divine Light within them.

If we think of sri guru granth sahib jee as just "sabd guru" that is not enough. Sri guru granth sahib is the living satguru nanak dev ji. Baba nand singh jee had the darsun of guru jee. When they used to offer prasad guru jee took an portion etc. Yes it is an hard concept since only the bhagti full divine souls have darsan. Bhagt Dhanna Jatt had darsan in a stone (saalgraam) so why can't we have darsan of guru nanak dev jee in sri guru granth sahib. This is why guru jee said guru granth jee manyo pragat guran kee deh.