Karam Dharam Pakhand Jo Deeseh

GurBaani

(747-15)

soohee mehlaa 5.

Soohee, Fifth Mehl:

karam Dharam pakhand jo deeseh tin jam jaagaatee lootai.

The religious rites, rituals and hypocrisies which are seen, are plundered by the Messenger of Death, the ultimate tax collector.

nirbaan keertan gaavhu kartay kaa nimakh simrat jit chhootai. ||1||

In the state of Nirvaanaa, sing the Kirtan of the Creator's Praises; contemplating Him in meditation, even for an instant, one is saved. ||1||

santahu saagar paar utree-ai.

O Saints, cross over the world-ocean.

jay ko bachan kamaavai santan kaa so gur parsaadee taree-ai. ||1|| rahaa-o.

One who practices the Teachings of the Saints, by Guru's Grace, is carried across. ||1||Pause||

kot tirath majan isnaanaa is kal meh mail bhareejai.

Millions of cleansing baths at sacred shrines of pilgrimage only fill the mortal with filth in this Dark Age of Kali Yuga.

saaDhsang jo har gun gaavai so nirmal kar leejai. ||2||

One who sings the Glorious Praises of the Lord in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, becomes spotlessly pure. ||2||

bayd katayb simrit sabh saasat inH parhi-aa mukat na ho-ee.

One may read all the books of the Vedas, the Bible, the Simritees and the Shaastras, but they will not bring liberation.

ayk akhar jo gurmukh jaapai tis kee nirmal so-ee. ||3||

One who, as Gurmukh, chants the One Word, acquires a spotlessly pure reputation. ||3||

khatree baraahman sood vais updays chahu varnaa ka-o saajhaa.

The four castes - the Kh'shaatriyas, Brahmins, Soodras and Vaishyas - are equal in respect to the teachings.

gurmukh naam japai uDhrai so kal meh ghat ghat naanak maajhaa. ||4||3||50||

One who, as Gurmukh, chants the Naam, the Name of the Lord, is saved. In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, O Nanak, God is permeating the hearts of each and every being. ||4||3||50||

(747-15)

soohee mehlaa 5.

Soohee, Fifth Mehl:

karam Dharam pakhand jo deeseh tin jam jaagaatee lootai.

The religious rites, rituals and hypocrisies which are seen, are plundered by the Messenger of Death, the ultimate tax collector.

nirbaan keertan gaavhu kartay kaa nimakh simrat jit chhootai. ||1||

In the state of Nirvaanaa, sing the Kirtan of the Creator's Praises; contemplating Him in meditation, even for an instant, one is saved. ||1||

santahu saagar paar utree-ai.

O Saints, cross over the world-ocean.

jay ko bachan kamaavai santan kaa so gur parsaadee taree-ai. ||1|| rahaa-o.

One who practices the Teachings of the Saints, by Guru's Grace, is carried across. ||1||Pause||

kot tirath majan isnaanaa is kal meh mail bhareejai.

Millions of cleansing baths at sacred shrines of pilgrimage only fill the mortal with filth in this Dark Age of Kali Yuga.

saaDhsang jo har gun gaavai so nirmal kar leejai. ||2||

One who sings the Glorious Praises of the Lord in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, becomes spotlessly pure. ||2||

bayd katayb simrit sabh saasat inH parhi-aa mukat na ho-ee.

One may read all the books of the Vedas, the Bible, the Simritees and the Shaastras, but they will not bring liberation.

ayk akhar jo gurmukh jaapai tis kee nirmal so-ee. ||3||

One who, as Gurmukh, chants the One Word, acquires a spotlessly pure reputation. ||3||

khatree baraahman sood vais updays chahu varnaa ka-o saajhaa.

The four castes - the Kh'shaatriyas, Brahmins, Soodras and Vaishyas - are equal in respect to the teachings.

gurmukh naam japai uDhrai so kal meh ghat ghat naanak maajhaa. ||4||3||50||

One who, as Gurmukh, chants the Naam, the Name of the Lord, is saved. In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, O Nanak, God is permeating the hearts of each and every being. ||4||3||50||

1.What is soohe;fifth mehl[meaning[

2.The second Line says...In the state of Nirvaan......

My question is Nirvaan is liberation....How can one in the state of Nirvaan sing the keertan, when one is not in the state of Nirvaan.

3,.What is sadh sangat.? How do we recognise them?

What is soohe;fifth mehl meaning
Guru Sahib has prescribed this shabad to be sung in raag Soohi. This shabad is attributed to Fifth Guru, Dhan Guru Arjan Sahib Jee, hence "fifth mahala"
The second Line says...In the state of Nirvaan......

My question is Nirvaan is liberation....How can one in the state of Nirvaan sing the keertan, when one is not in the state of Nirvaan.

Nirvaana is defined as

1. (context, Buddhism)The absence of all attachment to longing.
  2. (context, Buddhism) A blissful state attained through recognition of no-self; enlightenment.
  3. In non-Buddhist usage, state of paradise; heightened or great pleasure.

So, Guru Sahib is saying that, sing praises of God, but don't have any attachment to maya while doing it. If you sing God's praises by coming above the wants of your mind, then such a kirtan, sung even for an instant shall liberate you from cycle of birth and death
What is sadh sangat.? How do we recognise them?

sqsMgiq kYsI jwxIAY ]

sathasa(n)gath kaisee jaaneeai ||

How is the Society of the Saints to be known?

ijQY eyko nwmu vKwxIAY ]

jithhai eaeko naam vakhaaneeai ||

There, the Name of the One Lord is chanted.

You can read the entire shabad here : http://sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=182

Guru Sahib has prescribed this shabad to be sung in raag Soohi. This shabad is attributed to Fifth Guru, Dhan Guru Arjan Sahib Jee, hence "fifth mahala"

Nirvaana is defined as

2. (context, Buddhism) A blissful state attained through recognition of no-self; enlightenment.

So, Guru Sahib is saying that, sing praises of God, but don't have any attachment to maya while doing it. If you sing God's praises by coming above the wants of your mind, then such a kirtan, sung even for an instant shall liberate you from cycle of birth and death

sqsMgiq kYsI jwxIAY ]

ijQY eyko nwmu vKwxIAY ]

You can read the entire shabad here : http://sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=182

Waheguru!!!

Ji, I wouldn't have explained it better myself...

This is great =)

• 2 weeks later...

Nirvaana is defined as

sqsMgiq kYsI jwxIAY ]

ijQY eyko nwmu vKwxIAY ]

Waheguru!!!

Ji, I wouldn't have explained it better myself...

This is great =)

Waheguru bani nirankar hai pray.gifpray.gifpray.gifpray.gif

post-5232-1202304749_thumb.jpg

gur prswdI pwieAw ][/size]By Guru's Grace, I have found God.

iqQY mwieAw mohu cukwieAw ]By His Grace, I have shed emotional attachment to Maya.

ikrpw kir kY AwpxI Awpy ley smwie jIau ]21]

Showering His Mercy, He has blended me into Himself. ||21||

gopI nY goAwlIAw ]

[/color]You are the Gopis, the milk-maids of Krishna; You are the sacred river Jamunaa; You are Krishna, the herdsman.

quDu Awpy goie auTwlIAw ]

You Yourself support the world.

Thanks brother for taking time out and explaining the meaning of soohi etc. Regarding as to how to recognise sangat, I have read the sabad. I have some observations to make.

What is the translator trying to say in the line that is colored.?

To me neither the translation is correct nor is there any need of adding anything beyond that the line states. What is your take.?

The line contains superfluous meanings. It also seems to be saying something more as the line does not appear to be cogentlly placed in the overall context of the Sabad. Please have a look at the full Sabad.

Regards.

I guess it shows us that Guru Ji is telling that it is all himself - GOD in every being and every thing.

It is GOD playing, it is GOD within you asking you these questions trying because he wants to find himself, Then GOD himself answering your questions through the sangat. There is nothing as "ME" in this world, its all him

He himself is the actor, he is the director, he is the producer. He himself is the Guru, he himself is the disciple. We are nothing. He is everything. We are just silly people thinking that we something when we dont know any moment, any second could be our end and we wouldn't be able to do anything. HAHA !

Guru Ji tell us that religious rituals, rites and hypocrise are all foolish. You cant fool God. God will only be impressed if you do something Good. Help the poor, serving others without thinking self benefit, chanting his praises, living a truthful life and above all Remembering the GOD in meditation.

Guru Ji tells us that reading and holy scriptures ain't going to bring us liberation either. Only NAAM can take us to sachkhand, nothing else and we cant get NAAM till its written on our foreheads. We should do ardaas everyday to GOD and humbly request to be blessed with greatest gift of naam through satguru ji.

I guess it shows us that Guru Ji is telling that it is all himself - GOD in every being and every thing.

Hi Student Firend,

Good to see your posts as usual.Whenever I read your posts I feel that you are hundred persent right and that we should spend the entire day or to the extent that we can in mditation /simran.I do not know which one is better.Even chanting would be another option.

There are one or two doubts that come to mind.We have to do paath as per the rehat. Should we do simran even during that time as well?

I think rehat has its own significance.

I have a site from which i have started listenng Katha.It also takes some time daily.Is it better to do meditation or to listen to Katha and spend some time ?

What is your advice?

WE are not talking as per the thread.

Regards.

There is a Guru sitting inside all of us and that Guru is no other but 1 GOD. He is 1 and Guru. He was the Guru in all the Gurus. All of us have the same guru sitting in the home of our own hearts as well. Difference is that the GURU's were facing their Inner Guru/GOD and we are facing our own mann/mind/5 evils etc.

Meditation brings us closer to GOD, meditating makes you more and more aware of the GURU within you. Meditation makes you realise true self, it is through meditation where everything is revealed. It is through darkness, the light will be revealed to you.

Some people would think that what does one gain from sitting in a quiet room, with eyes closed, repeating the same name again and again. They prefer reading gurbani etc. Ofcourse Gurbani is wonderful but we are not understanding the importance of meditation. Gurbani is the wisdom of the guru's but for us its only knowledge not wisdom. To turn our knowledge into wisdom we have to practice it and experience it.

that doesn't mean that we sit 24/7 meditating on God and not do anything else because say if we remember 1 GOd all the times but still doing bad deeds, doing no good, not listening to the guru within us then its all useless. We have to work, go college, eat, have fun and God understands thats so he asks for daswand of the body, mind and wealth that is 10% of our daily time to spend on simran that is 2.4 hour simran, 10 percent of our time doing selfless service and 10% of your earnings back to GOD in others.

The aim of the life is to see GOD in all. To be aware of GOD at all times. To experience GOD at all times. To be ONE with GOD at all times. Talk to the friend within you, hes got all answers you're after. But we dont understand it most of the times because it takes our own EGO less then 0.0001 secs to replace what he tells us from our own EGO. Meditation helps us realise your true self, we start to realised our soul and see the that our mind is only made up of thoughts. Our true self is our soul - 1 GOD.