A Little Reminder

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

: ) This is dedicated to Akaal Purakh Di Fauj - both the SS member and the actual Fauj of Akaal Purakh. It is just a small reminder to us all about the importance and the power of Chaupai Sahib.

ਅੜਿੱਲ ॥

ਸੁਨੈ ਗੁੰਗ ਜੋ ਯਾਹਿ ਸੁ ਰਸਨਾ ਪਾਵਈ ॥ ਸੁਨੈ ਮੂੜ੍ਹ ਚਿਤ ਲਾਇ ਚਤੁਰਤਾ ਆਵਈ ॥

The dumb, who will listen to it, will be blessed with the tongue to speak; the fool, who will listen to it attentively, will get wisdom;

ਦੂਖ ਦਰਦ ਭੌ ਨਿਕਟ ਨ ਤਿਨ ਨਰ ਕੇ ਰਹੈ ॥ ਹੋ ਜੋ ਯਾਕੀ ਏਕ ਬਾਰ ਚੌਪਈ ਕੋ ਕਹੈ ॥

That person will be absolved of suffering, pain or fear, who will even once recite this Chaupai-prayer.

These two lines recited by Siri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj show us how powerful even reciting this Baani once can be. Some people may say that Gurbani is not meant to be taken literally and is a collection of metaphors with messages behing the analogies. While this is true - messages lie behind every ang of Gurbani even it if it seems like just a couple of lines recited at the Gurdwara Sahib on Sunday - our history has also proved over and over again that Gurbani really does have the power to turn thieves/prostitutes/sinners into Kings and saints. I also think that the " ਚਿਤ ਲਾਇ " above is really important for us to try and remember. It can be really hard to focus our attention on Guru Saheb's words especially when our bodies are telling us to go back into the cosy bed : ) or our tummies are telling us to bypass the Baani and take a detour, preferably via the lovely langar hall/kitchen. But the second line above tells us that the rewards of this concentration and love are so much greater than the short-term rewards of sleep or food. Pain, suffering and fear won't touch that fortunate person who recites Chaupai Sahib with devotion.

So let's take a look at two lines that present the powerful message from this Baani. Guru Saheb has been so kind to us. It's like having a teacher who lets you look at the back of the textbook for the answers. Instead of giving us the questions we've been lucky enough to get all the answers we ever need in life. The question is whether we'll actually open the answer-book or not.

ਪਾਤਿਸਾਹੀ ੧੦ ॥ ਕਬਯੋ ਬਾਚ ਬੇਨਤੀ ॥ ਚੌਪਈ ॥

By Guru Gobind Singh Ji, Speech of the poet, Chaupai

ਹਮਰੀ ਕਰੋ ਹਾਥ ਦੈ ਰੱਛਾ ॥ ਪੂਰਨ ਹੋਇ ਚਿੱਤ ਕੀ ਇੱਛਾ ॥

Oh Lord! Protect me with your own Hands. May all the desires of my heart be fulfilled.

ਤਵ ਚਰਨਨ ਮਨ ਰਹੈ ਹਮਾਰਾ ॥ ਅਪਨਾ ਜਾਨ ਕਰੋ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਰਾ ॥੧॥

Let my mind rest at Your Feet; sustain and cherish me as Your own.

As soon as we start reciting this Baani, we're directly appealing to Guru Saheb for protection. With Guru Saheb's Hand on our heads how could we possibly stray off his path, or fear anything that life throws at us. In many places in Gurbani, we are told that Guru Saheb protects his Sikhs and saints just as a mother loves her child unconditionally. Guru Saheb blesses that person with everything they ever need - Guru Saheb quenches their thirst for his Darshan, they having nothing to fear or worry about, they rely on their Guru for everything they need. It sounds like just a few words but the meaning is so massive. How many of us would be able to give up everything we own, to have that much faith to rely solely on the King of this world and the next.

Let our minds be cooled and soothed by Guru Saheb's sweetest Charan, without which we would be nothing at all. For us to say this: ਤਵ ਚਰਨਨ ਮਨ ਰਹੈ ਹਮਾਰਾ ॥ ਅਪਨਾ ਜਾਨ ਕਰੋ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਰਾ ॥ is practically asking Guru Ji to accept our heads/bodies/minds/souls - we are placing our trust in our King alone, and we are asking him to help us, protect us as he protected thousands of His most beloved saints before us. The sad thing is that after people like me finish reciting this Baani we go back to living the way we were before as if nothing has happened and nothing has changed, and nobody ever had this conversation with God. It's like saying to a friend: "You can have my heart forever." But then when you leave that friend to go elsewhere you take your heart with you because you never really let go of it in the first place. Something to remember next time we sit down to recite this Baani to Guru Ji.

One last thing - ਅਪਨਾ ਜਾਨ ਕਰੋ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਰਾ. We ask Guru Saheb to cherish us as his own children. A father loves his children so much and would do anything to protect them and see them grow up to be healthy, happy and strong and to continue the family name. Now imagine if your neighbour or a relative allowed their entire family - all their sons - to be sacrificed just so that you could keep on living freely. Guru Saheb did this for us so we could remember Akaal Purakh's Name freely, continue to live with the knowledge of the Truth and uphold the honour of the Khalsa. Such is the sacrifice Siri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj made for us. When we recite this Baani we need to remember that sacrifice and not just mouth the words whilst thinking of our breakfast. Even though this sacrifice happened hundreds of years ago, we must never forget it as the moment we do, we start forgetting how important this life is. Being a Sikh comes with responsibility. Reciting Chaupai Sahib every morning and evening does too.

2army.jpg

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh