[salok] Bhagat Kabeer Jeo Kae

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

ਕਬੀਰ ਜਾਤਿ ਜੁਲਾਹਾ ਕਿਆ ਕਰੈ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਬਸੇ ਗੁਪਾਲ ॥

Kabīr jāṯ julāhā ki­ā karai hirḏai basė gupāl.

Kabeer, what can my lowly status as a weaver do to me? The Lord dwells in my heart.

ਕਬੀਰ ਰਮਈਆ ਕੰਠਿ ਮਿਲੁ ਚੂਕਹਿ ਸਰਬ ਜੰਜਾਲ ॥੮੨॥

Kabīr rama­ī­ā kanṯẖ mil cẖūkeh sarab janjāl.

Kabeer, the Lord hugs me close in His Embrace; I have forsaken all my entanglements.

ਜਾਤਿ = caste, status; ਜੁਲਾਹਾ = weaver; ਹਿਰਦੈ = heart; ਬਸੇ = reside; ਗੁਪਾਲ = God; ਰਮਈਆ = God; ਕੰਠਿ = close to; ਚੂਕਹਿ = forsaken, stopped; ਸਰਬ = all; ਜੰਜਾਲ = entanglements, distractions.

Bhagat Kabeer Ji explains that he lived as a weaver in what was seen as one of the lowest castes of society. Regardless of this, Bhagat Ji had achieved the greatest possible wealth and honour in this world and the next from Guru Saheb Himself. Even when surrounded by those who would scorn or look down upon him, Bhagat Ji could remain happy, peaceful and content, in a way which very few are lucky enough to understand.

We might think that the issue of caste-related status is gradually fading, (although it usually manages to rear it's ugly head from time to time). We're still plagued by issues regarding social status in the modern, everyday world. Taking an airport as an example, there can be a distinct difference in the way people interact with/treat a toilet cleaner in comparison to the respect which is given to a pilot. In hospitals the nurses are often overlooked whereas doctors are automatically highly valued. We make judgements on people's career-choices and on the way they live their lives. Education is important for anyone but at the end of the day is an arrogant chief executive really better than a rubbish collector/bin-man who remembers Akaal Purakh with every breath? And since when did we have the right to pass judgement on the way other people appear to live their lives?

The incredible thing is that although only a few ever make it to the stage which Bhagat Ji describes, the formula for getting there is so beautiful and simple. Bhagat Ji tells us ਹਿਰਦੈ ਬਸੇ ਗੁਪਾਲ - Akaal Purakh resides within all our hearts. When we realise that we are all one and the same, when we never forget our ultimate source and can willingly place our heads in Guru Saheb's hands - then there's a chance that all distractions will cease to bother us.

As long as we keep forgetting that Guru Ji is in everyone including ourselves, we will get bogged down in the entanglements of the world. If we could just open our ears/eyes to the truth that Satguru Siri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj brought to the world, our minds could stop dancing around to the tune which Maya is so good at playing for us. Even small steps of compassion and love can make a big difference.

Cherry%20Blossom%20photo%20no-49.JPG

~l~

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

• 2 weeks later...