The Declining Value Of Your College Degree

Degrees are not worthless, it is what degree you have and whether you got it for the right reasons or not is what matters. I did a software engineering degree and its a performance based field. You have to write software, create websites etc and if you cant do that, despite having a Software engineering degree then you will not find a job.

My lecturar used to call other degrees like History, arts etc colouring in degrees, which have no real value in the world. And sure enough we have seen a lot of these students finish their degree and then not being able to find the job in their related field. So most of these students look for a job in a different field.

I finished uni with students of pretty much all backgrounds. We all finished with decent grades in Software engineering. Now pretty much every person i know has making anywhere from £30k - £60k within the first 5 years of leaving uni.

So my advice is to go to university but do a course which you are interested in and which you know will help you with the career that you want.

I'd have to agree with your post. college degrees arent worthless as long as theyre in a industry specific specialization (such as engineering, business admin, nursing)

Degrees completed in the humanities area like poly sci, fine arts, pyschology .... are pretty much worthless without postgrad education. Most likely you will have to end up going to law school, med school ... or something of the postgrad nature to get a job

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people will feel i am mad posting such stuff and others will feel I have some clever agendaa etc. but whatever I am writing has been coming true and will continue to come true as well. Getting into debt to get a college degree is suicidal I feel. If somebody has money and wants to get college degree , get it but make sure u are mentally ready for the disappointment u will face in ur professional life.

Some people will feel i am mad posting such stuff and others will feel I have some clever agendaa etc. but whatever I am writing has been coming true and will continue to come true as well. Getting into debt to get a college degree is suicidal I feel. If somebody has money and wants to get college degree , get it but make sure u are mentally ready for the disappointment u will face in ur professional life.

are you nostradamus? :o

are you nostradamus? :o

Dear veer, I have been writing about the food problems, energy problems for about 8 months. I used to post at a website www.tapoban.org. Then I posted the doomish news at a tatkhalsa website. Then on sikhsangat.. People shud give some respect to me. I am not claiming to be a nostradamus but whatever I wrote is coming true.

And I am not some 10th pass who suffers from jealousy from educated people. I have completed Btech and mtech from IIT-Chennai, IIT Delhi. I have been doing part time career counselling for about 4 years. I have worked in software industry, finance and at present I am working in education industry myself where I deal with young students everyday...

Moreover, I am not trying to hide behind a computer. Harinder Singh is my dargahi name(name given to me by punj) and amardeep singh is my professional name, though I am planning to get my name changed in the official papers in the future. If u want u can email me, call me or meet me personally.

Whatever I write, I am accountable for it. I hold responsibiliy for my words and I am not hiding behind a computer using names like "singhstah", "gabroo", "talikhaak", bibi G" etc....

• 2 weeks later...