Khushwant Singh And His Continuing Distortion Of Sikhism

Guest amar_jkp

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few perhaps little known things about him:

-i have read that he is a nastik, not a Sikh. I have read that he has admitted this, which explains his twisted view of Sikhi. His views on Sikhi are quite messed up, but no more so than those of any other atheist.

-he keeps saroop out of respect for sikh community, says it makes him feel closer to community.

-was good friends with indira gandhi.

-very much against sant jarnail singh ji & kharkoos

-was instrumental in helping set up the citizen's justice committee after the 84 pogroms. it ws the idea of HS Phoolka, notable Sikh attorney who has advocated for Sikh victims of 84 for over 20 years (for free), but without Khushwant's big name the committee may not have attracted other big names, such as retired judges etc.

i have read the same things, though i also read that after bluestar he returned all of his awards from the government and ended his relationship with indira.

however, i have also read that when he decided to do a translation/interpretation of Jaapji Sahib, he did so with a glass of whiskey in hand, while making notes in the margins of his gutka sahib. :@

i actually enjoy his writing. but i disagree with most of his political views, i despise the disrespect he shows to gurbani, and i do NOT consider him a Sikh.

WJKK WJKF!

The posts in these threads are rather disgusting. The notion and idea of caste based Sikhs is pathetic. The fact one applies generalizations to something that is nothing but a mere social construct speaks volumes about the level of an individuals maturity. The spiritual revolution of Sikhi inherently challenged such social constructs, thus to acknowledge and attempt to use hybrid terms such as jatt sikh, etc is foolish and contradictory.

The above is the single most relevant and sensible post amongst some distorted ape-think so far in this thread.

Kids if you are reading this thread and don’t want to come off sounding like an ape, take to heart Singhavelli’s excellent post.

Thank for the much needed breath of fresh air Singhavelli.

Blame the Brahmins! They started the caste system. If some "Sikhs" are stupid enough to follow it, you still have to blame the Brahmins! They started it!

Say no to karva chaut, rakhri, worshipping pictures of Gurus. We should be hell-bent against Hindu rituals creeping into Sikhi, but caste is something we can make a concession on, right?

Blame the Brahmins! They started the caste system. If some "Sikhs" are stupid enough to follow it, you still have to blame the Brahmins! They started it!

Say no to karva chaut, rakhri, worshipping pictures of Gurus. We should be hell-bent against Hindu rituals creeping into Sikhi, but caste is something we can make a concession on, right?

:WW:

You speak the truth

Is the term muslim sikh also contradictory? What about indian sikh, british sikh, american sikh, human sikh, sikh human???

muslim sikh? yes, that's contradictory. one cannot follow two faiths at the same time. neither islam nor sikhi would allow this.

indian sikh, british sikh, american sikh... no, those are not contradictory. india, britain, and america are simply places. american sikh means a sikh from america. it does not indicate any rank or social standing, it's simply a descriptive term.

when one attaches the "caste" to the word sikh, it is only to try to show superiority/inferiority, which is contrary to gurmat and so yes, "jatt sikh" is contradictory.

i hope you can understand this, if not, feel free to ask questions.

-jasleen (american sikh, no caste thank you very much) kaur

veerji, sometimes i read your posts and think i might have written them myself. :)

:WW:

You speak the truth

And you don't see the sarcasm :6

veerji, sometimes i read your posts and think i might have written them myself. :)
I can read your mind. muhuhuhahahaha :devil:

This clearly illustrates the harms in social constructs.

I guess you should abolish ALL social constructs?

Is the term muslim sikh also contradictory? What about indian sikh, british sikh, american sikh, human sikh, sikh human???

muslim sikh? yes, that's contradictory. one cannot follow two faiths at the same time. neither islam nor sikhi would allow this.

indian sikh, british sikh, american sikh... no, those are not contradictory. india, britain, and america are simply places. american sikh means a sikh from america. it does not indicate any rank or social standing, it's simply a descriptive term.

when one attaches the "caste" to the word sikh, it is only to try to show superiority/inferiority, which is contrary to gurmat and so yes, "jatt sikh" is contradictory.

i hope you can understand this, if not, feel free to ask questions.

-jasleen (american sikh, no caste thank you very much) kaur

What about those sikhs that don't follow a faith? Would a muslim follower of Guru Nanak be denied the right to be called a sikh? Did Gurus jis want people to deny their background to become their followers?

May I call Mardana and his descendents as muslim sikhs, or is this politicall incorrect? I do not follow the same notion and post-colonial construct of faith and religion as you.

So by calling myself jatt sikh, I am projecting myself as superior/inferior please explain how?

What if i said by calling yourself american sikh you are projecting yourself as inferior/superior?

How about if I called american a caste, do u like that? :) ))))

Do you see native american tribes such as sioux and aztecs as castes, or only north indian tribes such as jatts?

Does Guru Ji say it is important for a follower to call him/herself "sikh"? Are the terms disciple/follower/chella/murid/shishya valid?