Learning About Sikhi....

rav44

I am asking for a bit of help from everyone:

I have read some of the SGGS and have found nothing related to the 5k's...I understand that there is the Rehat Maryada but where/when were these rules originally written? Where have the original rules come from? I know the story about Guru Gobind Singh Ji and the Panj Pyare but where was this story written?

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

hahahahah. no where in guru granth sahib does it say taht u need to have written rules in order to follow the 5k's, and not eat meat, and not drink alcohol.

on ang 1377 maharaj says: ਕਬੀਰ ਭਾਂਗ ਮਾਛੁਲੀ ਸੁਰਾ ਪਾਨਿ ਜੋ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਖਾਂਹਿ ॥ ਤੀਰਥ ਬਰਤ ਨੇਮ ਕੀਏ ਤੇ ਸਭੈ ਰਸਾਤਲਿ ਜਾਂਹਿ ॥੨੩੩॥

wat does this pankti mean to u rav ji?

hahahahah. no where in guru granth sahib does it say taht u need to have written rules in order to follow the 5k's, and not eat meat, and not drink alcohol.

on ang 1377 maharaj says: ਕਬੀਰ ਭਾਂਗ ਮਾਛੁਲੀ ਸੁਰਾ ਪਾਨਿ ਜੋ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਖਾਂਹਿ ॥ ਤੀਰਥ ਬਰਤ ਨੇਮ ਕੀਏ ਤੇ ਸਭੈ ਰਸਾਤਲਿ ਜਾਂਹਿ ॥੨੩੩॥

wat does this pankti mean to u rav ji?

Thanks for pointing that one out - I understand what that means but where is it written about the 5k's?

gur fateh jio!

hmm

u like reading veer ji?

cz if u do i recommend reading macauliff s whole set of sikh history.........

um, if u hate reading there is stuff on the internet that u can google up and start reading sakhi s

does your local gurdwara sahib hav a library?

^rofl

bhenji basically said

if u like to read, read

if u dont like to read, there's libraries and websites for u to go to where u can read

she has a point though

best way to learn is read

readreadreadreadread

read.

lol..........

thanks fr supporting my point veer ji ! u r the first one whos actually said "read read!"

all my czns ar like"u insane? we punjabis dnt read!"

Although I was born into a Sikh family, my knowledge of the history of things is limited so I am asking for a bit of help from everyone:

I have read some of the SGGS and have found nothing related to the 5k's and meat and alcohol being forbidden as well as much more...I understand that there is the Rehat Maryada but where/when were these rules originally written? Where have the original rules come from? I know the story about Guru Gobind Singh Ji and the Panj Pyare but where was this story written?

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

where is it written?

52 Hukams of Guru Gobind Singh ji.

Sarabloh Granth (khalsa mero roop hai khas is written here, maybe you've heard this shabad)

multiple historic rehatnamas

and yes, Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji speaks against meat and intoxicants. :)

here's a list of common rehat questions with gurbani answers, as well as open discussion on the responses:

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/Rehat.asp?Order=Alpha

^rofl

bhenji basically said

if u like to read, read

if u dont like to read, there's libraries and websites for u to go to where u can read

she has a point though

best way to learn is read

readreadreadreadread

read.

lol..........

thanks fr supporting my point veer ji ! u r the first one whos actually said "read read!"

all my czns ar like"u insane? we punjabis dnt read!"

lol, yeh

but seriously that's probably the best way. even as a little(er) kid i would read sakhis about maharaj and great gursikhs

so inspiring

singhs that fought battles with elephants for fun

for the sake of making a point would tax the locals

made mansions out of jungles

and then as i got older i learned more and more about sikh philosophy n whatnot through camps but through reading as well. and even through the internet, you're always reading

be it on forums, articles, news sikh websites

you can't avoid it, might as well get used to it and learn to enjoy it

some rahit is in Guru Granth Sahib ji, ohter in other sikh scripture. Much is passed down orally and written down in various rahitnamas. Tons of evidence on this, such as handwritten rahits from teh Guru or famous Sikhs.

ang 1230

ਸਾਰਗ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥

सारग महला ५ ॥

Sārag mehlā 5.

Saarang, Fifth Mehl:

ਹਰਿ ਹਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਮੁਖਹੁ ਬੋਲਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰੇ ਮਨਿ ਧਾਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

हरि हरे हरि मुखहु बोलि हरि हरे मनि धारे ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥

Har harė har mukẖahu bol har harė man ḏẖārė. ||1|| rahā­o.

Chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, Har; enshrine the Lord, Har, Har, within your mind. ||1||Pause||

ਸ੍ਰਵਨ ਸੁਨਨ ਭਗਤਿ ਕਰਨ ਅਨਿਕ ਪਾਤਿਕ ਪੁਨਹਚਰਨ ॥

स्रवन सुनन भगति करन अनिक पातिक पुनहचरन ॥

Sarvan sunan bẖagaṯ karan anik pāṯik punahcẖaran.

Hear Him with your ears, and practice devotional worship - these are good deeds, which make up for past evils.

ਸਰਨ ਪਰਨ ਸਾਧੂ ਆਨ ਬਾਨਿ ਬਿਸਾਰੇ ॥੧॥

सरन परन साधू आन बानि बिसारे ॥१॥

Saran paran sāḏẖū ān bān bisārė. ||1||

So seek the Sanctuary of the Holy, and forget all your other habits. ||1||.

ਹਰਿ ਚਰਨ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਨੀਤ ਨੀਤਿ ਪਾਵਨਾ ਮਹਿ ਮਹਾ ਪੁਨੀਤ ॥

हरि चरन प्रीति नीत नीति पावना महि महा पुनीत ॥

Har cẖaran parīṯ nīṯ nīṯ pāvnā meh mahā punīṯ.

Love the Lord's Feet, continually and continuously - the most sacred and sanctified.

ਸੇਵਕ ਭੈ ਦੂਰਿ ਕਰਨ ਕਲਿਮਲ ਦੋਖ ਜਾਰੇ ॥

सेवक भै दूरि करन कलिमल दोख जारे ॥

Sėvak bẖai ḏūr karan kalimal ḏokẖ jārė.

Fear is taken away from the servant of the Lord, and the dirty sins and mistakes of the past are burnt away.

ਕਹਤ ਮੁਕਤ ਸੁਨਤ ਮੁਕਤ ਰਹਤ ਜਨਮ ਰਹਤੇ ॥

कहत मुकत सुनत मुकत रहत जनम रहते ॥

Kahaṯ mukaṯ sunaṯ mukaṯ rahaṯ janam rahṯė.

Those who speak are liberated, and those who listen are liberated; those who keep the Rehit, the Code of Conduct, are not reincarnated again.

ਰਾਮ ਰਾਮ ਸਾਰ ਭੂਤ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਤੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੇ ॥੨॥੪॥੧੩੩॥

राम राम सार भूत नानक ततु बीचारे ॥२॥४॥१३३॥

Rām rām sār bẖūṯ Nānak ṯaṯ bīcẖārė. ||2||4||133||

The Lord's Name is the most sublime essence; Nanak contemplates the nature of reality. ||2||4||133||