The Truth Behind Suffering

Suffering is true amrit. Its in suffering, one becomes pure and goes high in spirituality.

Suffering is true amrit, Suffering is GOD telling you, that its time to do good deeds.

suffering is the cleanser of bad karams, in suffering, one remembers God.

O God, give me more suffering, in pleasure i forgot about you, i burnt myself in the fire of kalyug, in suffering i remember you, you're my only hope.

suffering is my true friend, it keeps me close to my lord.

If there wasn't suffering, who would remember God?

Pain is maya as well. Don't get attached to either suffering or pleasure - only to Waheguru. There is no suffering once in true Sangat, only the pain of separation from God, but even that will be cured one day.

You are right that some people forget God during times of happiness.

sPl mUrqu sPlw GVI ijqu scy nwil ipAwru ]

safal moorath safalaa gharree jith sachae naal piaar ||

Fruitful is that moment, and fruitful is that time, when one is in love with the True Lord.

dUKu sMqwpu n lgeI ijsu hir kw nwmu ADwru ]

dhookh sa(n)thaap n lagee jis har kaa naam adhhaar ||

Suffering and sorrow do not touch those who have the Support of the Name of the Lord.

bwh pkiV guir kwiFAw soeI auqirAw pwir ]3]

baah pakarr gur kaadtiaa soee outhariaa paar ||3||

Grasping him by the arm, the Guru lifts them up and out, and carries them across to the other side. ||3||

but on the other hand,

sloku mÚ 1 ]

salok ma 1 ||

Salok, First Mehla:

duKu dwrU suKu rogu BieAw jw suKu qwim n hoeI ]

dhukh dhaaroo sukh rog bhaeiaa jaa sukh thaam n hoee ||

Suffering is the medicine, and pleasure the disease, because where there is pleasure, there is no desire for God.

qUM krqw krxw mY nwhI jw hau krI n hoeI ]1]

thoo(n) karathaa karanaa mai naahee jaa ho karee n hoee ||1||

You are the Creator Lord; I can do nothing. Even if I try, nothing happens. ||1||

bilhwrI kudriq visAw ]

balihaaree kudharath vasiaa ||

I am a sacrifice to Your almighty creative power which is pervading everywhere.

qyrw AMqu n jweI liKAw ]1] rhwau ]

thaeraa a(n)th n jaaee lakhiaa ||1|| rehaao ||

Your limits cannot be known. ||1||Pause||

jwiq mih joiq joiq mih jwqw Akl klw BrpUir rihAw ]

jaath mehi joth joth mehi jaathaa akal kalaa bharapoor rehiaa ||

Your Light is in Your creatures, and Your creatures are in Your Light; Your almighty power is pervading everywhere.

qUM scw swihbu isPiq suAwil@au ijin kIqI so pwir pieAw ]

thoo(n) sachaa saahib sifath suaaliho jin keethee so paar paeiaa ||

You are the True Lord and Master; Your Praise is so beautiful. One who sings it, is carried across.

khu nwnk krqy kIAw bwqw jo ikCu krxw su kir rihAw ]2]

kahu naanak karathae keeaa baathaa jo kishh karanaa s kar rehiaa ||2||

Nanak speaks the stories of the Creator Lord; whatever He is to do, He does. ||2||

9th Patshah ,GURU TEGH BAHADUR SAHIB says ''dukh sukh dono sam kar janeh eh gur gian betai'' ,i.e treat pain(suffering ) and pleasure as the same (like 2 sides of the same coin). hey both are the fruits of our triguna existence through multitudes of lifetimes indulging in the 3 gunas of rajo ,tamo and satto . the way out , to be able to live above them ,without being trapped by either, whilst being in their midst ,is to seek the shelter of GURUJEE .Then as stated in sukhmani sahib one is able to find peace ,tranquility and joy even in the midst of suffering .

yes .suffering could be a result of past karmas/bad deeds /separation from God . However it can also be placed in our lifes to strengthen our inner resolve ,our faith in God , to build our inner strength,to drill patience and humbleness into our lifes ,to help us get rid of non -neccesities in our earthly journey .suffering also helps us discover a true friend in God and Guru ,and shed friendships with those who laugh when we laugh but abandon us in our times of trouble .

the sufferings the khalsa panth went through, made it a lean ,hardened ,persistent ,committed ,resilient ,united community that managed to rule the most of india in a matter of time .likewise the suffering of GURU ARJAN DEV'S shahidi helped recast the panth to an entire new sant sipahi level .

it is one thing to be suffering because you have strayed away from amritvela simran and have turned your back on GURUJEE and gone complacent in your faith and friendships. its another thing to be in a jail like bhai sahib randhir singh amidst hell -like suffering and to maintain a rohani noor and illahi khushi on yur face .

we do not pray for suffering as sikhs .we pray for '' gurmukh ridheh garibi aveh '' i.e to be made humble as b.gurdas says .we pray for god to save this burning world ''jeget jelenda rakh leh'' and we pray for tere bhaneh sarbat ka bhela i.e for everyone's good ,and we pray for chardi kela .

as we progress on ,in our spirit filled lifes as gurmukhs ,we transcend suffering even tho we endure it because we start seeing suffering as transient clouds blowing continually on and off the personal horizons of our lifes ,for their own purpose .ultimately our minds reach a level where we pray as says gurbani ''' manh preet chren kemlare '' i.e our minds only desire the love for the LOTUS FEET OF GURUJEE , come what may in our lifes