Guru Gobind Singh Ji's White Baaz

spamindersingh

Any chance of posting some pictures of these horses ? I have seen the poor pictures on net news sites but was hoping some sangat member had personal pictures of better quality.

Are these horses directly bred from Neela and Dilbagh ? or given as gifts to Hazur Sahib for Guru Ji ? Guru Ji used to have the finest Arab horses and the pictures of the Hazur Sahib horses I saw were not arabi, not even marwari.

I have personal pictures of the horses taken in August, which I'll post up tomorrow on my blog! :)

From what I know these horses are bred down generations from Guru Ji's horse(s). I have read that some horses are given as gifts too, by the sangat.

Any chance of posting some pictures of these horses ? I have seen the poor pictures on net news sites but was hoping some sangat member had personal pictures of better quality.

Are these horses directly bred from Neela and Dilbagh ? or given as gifts to Hazur Sahib for Guru Ji ? Guru Ji used to have the finest Arab horses and the pictures of the Hazur Sahib horses I saw were not arabi, not even marwari.

I have personal pictures of the horses taken in August, which I'll post up tomorrow on my blog! :)

From what I know these horses are bred down generations from Guru Ji's horse(s). I have read that some horses are given as gifts too, by the sangat.

Thanks veerji.

I too heard that people give horses for Guru Ji at Hazur Sahib. Have you heard of the elephants ?

I didn't see any Elephants when I went. I mean if they were there, they would've been hard to miss :p

One of the local Gurdwaras keeps a lot of animals. Horses, Rabbits, Pigeons, Turkeys, Monkeys, Goats, Geese etc!

This is going back a few years but my grandparents used to tell me about some Nihang who used to go through their pind with lots of horses every year and an elephant which they used to claim was descended from the one owned by Guru Ji. They used to come every year but since the 1980s have stopped visiting. Not sure which Dal/Jatha they were associated with as if that was known it would be easy to find out about this elephant. Cynics may say the elephant story was a ploy to get donations but my grandparents say these nihang never asked or took donations (very unlike the nangs you get roaming village to village these days in pickup trucks/canter (the mahindra and tata ones) who always come after paddy harvest or wheat harvest claiming they are form xyz collecting sacks of crops).

The Gurdwara Singhson is referring to is Mata Sahib Devan Gurdwara. Baba Bidhi Chand Dal is most famous for having 2 elephants in their dal.

Nihang Singhs still keep hawks as part of their martial heritage as can be seen:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yBWwAFj220c&...re=channel_page

Is it only certain kinds of Baaj that only eat meat or is it all of them?

The Gurdwara Singhson is referring to is Mata Sahib Devan Gurdwara. Baba Bidhi Chand Dal is most famous for having 2 elephants in their dal.

Nihang Singhs still keep hawks as part of their martial heritage as can be seen:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yBWwAFj220c&...re=channel_page

Is it only certain kinds of Baaj that only eat meat or is it all of them?

Thanks for that. Good to see the Nihangs keeping these traditions alive without a care for the likes of Maneka Gandhi and her pro animal group.

All baaz eat meat, even small birds of prey such as the sparrow hawk, shikra etc take live quarry.

This is going back a few years but my grandparents used to tell me about some Nihang who used to go through their pind with lots of horses every year and an elephant which they used to claim was descended from the one owned by Guru Ji.

The dal is Bidhi Chand dal. Apart from that, I know very little else about this dal.

Regarding falconry,

To start with falconry, I suppose it depends upon which country you're in, but in the UK the lanner bird, buzzard and Harris hawk are typically beginners birds - easily obtainable and trainable - unlike many others, they are less likely to fly off and away forever when first training them. A local falconry sanctuary is a good place to get lessons on looking after, keeping and training the birds. However be well prepared - if keeping one, it requires daily care including weighing and regular exercise - you need access (with permission from the landowner) to a large open space appropriate to the bird that you are flying - ideally isolated, as these birds will not easily take to flying with other people about. A local falconry sanctuary will offer you lessons (typically a few hundred pounds for a decent 5d course) and then if you are interested in keeping a bird, they will help you identify one and put you in touch with a falconer who will teach you further. This stage allows you the chance to see what the upkeep and pitfalls are like as well as learning important stuff, like recognising a sick bird. It is a demanding hobby and currently I do not have all the time/ means to keep a bird myself.

Keeping the bird - that's the other thing....You need a large shed like unit - the sanctuary can give more details, but again, without a decent sized garden or land, this will be a problem. Also when you get a bird, it will be scared of you and there will need to a least a week's period of manning (training it to tolerate you handling it). Oh... and you'll need a freezer to keep food (frozen chicks and mice).

Best thing to do is to take some lessons, and then learn to fly them to your spinning a lure (another skill that takes practice).

See http://www.nbpc.co.uk for courses - they are the most reliable people for a beginner to get started with and if you mean to keep a bird, they will put you in touch with a mentor.

ps Goshawks (the common variety and not the Kaffuri one) are available in the UK and it is best to get a parent or foster-parent reared bird as the others are notoriously badly behaved. Gyrs in general are not a bird for beginners - they are extremely tempremental. Wild ones can be seen in the autumn in the peak district of Derbyshire as captive ones have been let loose and bred.

having been lucky enough to attend the 300saal smagam back in october/november time i can clearly say hanji Guru Gobind Singh ji’s White ‘Baz’ or Falcon was present ...vahegruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..also hanji so was the nelha kora...to get dharshan was amazing..pictures of the horses and also the nelha kora are viewable on www.sikhroots.com

ps. elephants also used to be there during amrithvela (between 2-4am from what i can remember)

(smagam pictures from hazour sahib also online @ www.sikhroots.com)