Advice . .

Guest _Kaur_

VaheGuruJi Ka Khalsa

VaheGuruJi Ke Fateh Ji!

Pyaari Sangat Ji, would appreciate some advice on this matter.

Well I've been into Sikhi for quite some time now and have been taking small steps on this path. However, I come from a family who are not religious let alone follow the teachings of Sikhi. So, my parents in particular have been strongly against me since I started practicing Sikhi.

Though, now I've recently been starting to wear keski/pathka. I've also had strong urges to be blessed with Amrit Di Daat . . but it's proving to be very difficult in getting through to the family. All they do is put me down and apply pressure on me to be a 'Punjabi'.

Im not worried about work, marriage etc as I know that GuruJi has all of that taken care of but I just don't want to leave this life without having attained that aim of being blessed with Amrit Di Daat and try my very best efforts to live a GurSikh Jeewan to get close to VaheGuruJi.

Im still at University and don't have much reliable Sangat though I just want my parents to at least hear me out and try to accept me and the life I wish to lead. This really brings me down to tears . . . I know this path is not an easy one to follow and on occasions we are tested to our very limits but it's all GuruJi's Pyaar for us at the end of the day.

I guess I'm just trying to get the Sangat to talk about their experiences and if anyone has been in the same situation then how did they go about it?

Thankyou for reading and apologies if something similar has been posted before.

VaheGuruJi Ka Khalsa

VaheGuruJi Ke Fateh Ji!

I hope Waheguru blesses you with sangat the true sangat because they will help you through this. Keep on at it penji and if anything laugh it off, look at what Guru has given you, wah!! who cares what your family think, act etc. you are so dedicated that you will never leave waheguru. "ja too mere vala hay tha kya mo shanda?" When you are with me what do I need to worry about?

You are right, these are tests MAharaj puts us through to see how much we actually desire to play the game of love. You sound so blessed and chardikala that your tears should be for akal purakh only.

I'm not saying you should hate your family, but remember, Guru Gobind Singh Ji is WITH YOU!!! when you step out of the house, he's walking behind you, how can your family, mother/father, bros/sisters put you down when you have the king of all kings walking every step with you. Imagine he's there right now with you....!! God bless you sister, you will be fine don't worry about a thing.... you are on the path to success and "Kithay parkar na thooto preet, daas teray kee nirmal reet" your lifestyle is so pure, what can break you? nothing!!!

Stay chardikala, these are minor matters!!

Aww Paaji thanks ever so much for your beautiful reply! Your kind words have given me much needed courage . . Yes you're right it really feels like Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaaj is with me every step of the way! Its unbelievable how amazing Sikhi is . . no words to describe!

Oh Paaji you mentioned my two favourite Shabads! VaheGuruJi! Thankyou once again . . May VaheGuruJi have His Mighty Hand over your head always and forever. :):)

Gurfateh Penji,

I dont think I should be answering this question as I have very little knowledge and at the moment don’t really think I can call myself a gurus sikh…. But I will anway hehehe

My parents are very similar to yours, I started wearing a dastaar not so long ago, even though they do still say things now and then and make comments that smestimes do really hurt… they have accepted the path I have been blessed by maharaaj to walk on.

I have asked this question a number of times... even though deep down I know the answer,

I ask it to the sangat and then realise that only thing really holding me back is me… my parents don’t stop me from doing simran stop me from waking at amrit vela but I still sometimes don’t do it and then blame it on ‘my parents not being into Sikhi’.

Also sangat isnt just people, sangat is reading inspirational sikhi books and listening to as much keertan and simran as you can

My advice to you penj would be increase your simran you parth and ask mahraaj for the help.

Try to do more seva for your parents.... i think some parents feel that sikhi is taking their kids away from them but if do more for them, they'll understand that maybe sikhi isn't such a bad thing. You will be blessed with amrit from maharaaj when the time is right, just have faith that mahraaj will sort it all. :)

VaheGuruJi Ka Khalsa

VaheGuruJi Ke Fateh Penji!

Thankyou ever so much for your reply : ) . . Wow it's great to hear that there's some ChardiKala Penji's who follow GuruJi's Path regardless of their background, family etc. I used to be under the impression that only those who are from a GurSikh family follow Sikhi, hehe!

I agree, at times we let our non-Sikhi parents or society affect us and tend to rely on that excuse to become lazy with Simran, AmritVela etc. Since starting to wear my Keski/Pathka it's become a shock to everyone as they all know how serious I am about living a GurSikhi jeewan etc. With GuruJi's Kirpa Im planning to wear Dastaar very soon which will prove to be a challenge for the parents but at the end of the day I guess we've got to remember that our family doesn't go with us and if GuruJi has placed us on this Path then its truly a blessing and we ought to do as much as can to please GuruJi and become one with Akaal Purakh - that's where we belong and that's our true HOME!

VaheGuruJi! Very wise words you mentioned about Sangat not only being 'people' as Kirtan/Katha/Books are also Sangat which is just as amazing and inspirational. Plus I sometimes feel that we should be careful about the Sangat we keep as one Paaji said 'Just because one looks like a GurSikh doesn't mean they have the qualities of one'. It's a shame to think like this but it does prove to be true at times . . VaheGuruJi may they be blessed with some understanding.

Yes, it's always beneficial to do Seva of parents which is important in the making of a GurSikh, plus we need to do as much as we can to still remain in their 'good books' hehe!

I just realised how much i've blabbed on - humble apologies . . Sorry Penji! May VaheGuruJi bless you with always Penji . . and thanks once again! :):)