Organize Gurbani Study Group? Suggestions Please?

kuthaman

Recently I was approached with a dilemma. I have noticed we are quick to call ourselves Sikh, but at times we dont have much knowledge of SGGS. In attempting to find a solution I came to a Christian Bible study. One of my friends runs one of these and I asked her about how it is organized. They basically have a set of questions for each part of the Bible. They all read through the scripture before the study and answer the questions. In the study they discuss their answers to the questions. The girl said that they all have different answers. The diversity of responses allows for people to understand the multiple interpretations of the scripture. Whats awesome is that people figured those out by themselves rather listening to some body else. Humans are more likely to remeber things that they figure out themselves. We as Sikhs have the SGGS, the Dasam Granth, Bhai Gurdas's Vars,

Bhai Gurdas's 642 Kabiit Swayye, the many different Janamsakhi traditions are all available in English in one form or another. This method can used to introduce Sikh themes and ideas to the younger generation and to also draw westerners into the fold of sikhism. The biggest complaint i have seen from youth and western converts is the lack teaching for adults. This can also be done in Punjabi or any other lang. sikhs read the SGGS in. I really want to here your feed back on this.

Thanks,

kuthaman

Gurfateh jee,

It's a good idea that we should come together and do veechaar of Bani. However, one thing to bear in mind is that, unlike reading a simple passage from a book or Bible, etc., Gurbani has spiritual power behind every single letter. If we are to understand and appreciate what Guroo Maharaaj Jee is truly saying to us, one reading of a Shabad will not be enough.

Serious Abhiyaas, Kamaaiyee and Contemplation of the Shabad is required before our soul can begin to understand the Untreev message of what Maharaaj is saying. Further, listening to the Katha and Giaan of Kamaiyee-wale Sants, Mahapurakhs, Bhai Sahib, Gursikhs, etc., with years of Abhiyaas, Kamaiye and Gursikhi Jeevan will help us understand what Guroo Maharaaj Jee is telling us. Otherwise, without such Abhiyaas, Kamaaiyee and Contemplation, there's the risk of people becoming Kitaabi Gyanis, which is such a prominent problem these days!

Bhul Chuk Maaf,

Waheguroo