Furious Sikh Groups Have Slammed The Government Over Rules Being Drawn Up On Where They Can Wear Their Religious Symbols.

Tejvir

FURIOUS Sikh groups have slammed the government over rules being drawn up on where they can wear their religious symbols.

Sikh Federation (UK) and Sikhs in England claim the idea for a code of practice was raised in Parliament in 2005, but the final draft has only just been finished.

The groups allege they have been left out of discussions on drafting the document, and the guidelines only cover wearing the kirpan in government buildings.

The Kirpan Draft Document stresses the importance of wearing the small ceremonial dagger, and will be sent to government departments

and businesses.

But the groups are concerned that because it does not include other symbols, there could be more controversies like the Sarika Singh case. Singh was expelled from Aberdare Girls School for refusing to remove her kara (bracelet), before winning her race discrimination case in the High Court last summer.

Sikh Federation (UK) says until the code of practice is published, practising Sikhs will continue to be refused entry to government buildings, tourists attractions like the London Eye and even driving test centres to do their theory test.

The British Sikh Consultative Forum (BSCF), who is responsible for drafting the guidelines, insist all organisations were consulted and it has now contacted the two groups. It will send the final draft to the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) on Monday (20).

Harmander Singh, principal advisor of the Sikhs in England think tank, told Eastern Eye: “I’m disappointed in the procrastinations and the choice of the BSCF, which is not renowned for its openness. it

should have been ready by August last year.

“We’ve been attempting to find out about the consultation but I got a text message saying it was for members only. The government picks on people who are its mates, it’s a tried and failed method. It should cover all the five ‘k’s and all places, including Wembley Arena and the London Eye.”

The kirpan is worn in a holster across the chest. It is among five articles of faith that baptised Sikhs should wear at all times.

Under the Race Relations Act, the kirpan is not classed as a weapon and British Sikhs are allowed to carry it.

Jagtar Singh, vice-chair of Sikh Federation UK, said: “What has taken so long? Some people have been consulted, we haven’t although we started it off.

“It’s far too long and deals with just the kirpan in government buildings. It has gone into areas they don’t need to, like guidance to schools and airports which is already out there. It’s not up to Sikhs to go to individual schools and argue their case.”

Jasdev Singh Rai, general secretary of BSCF, said he will delay handing in the draft until Monday so Sikh Federation and Sikhs in England see the document.

He said: “We’ve had meetings across the country, almost all the gurdwaras have been contacted. What we want is a consensus from the whole community. We don’t have the resources to finish a consultation in a short space of time.

“I have sent documents to representatives of those two groups, and they have been invited to the meetings, it is not a secret. We were asked by the government for specific guidelines on the kirpan.”

Parmjit Dhanda was responsible for drafting up the code of practice before being replaced by Sadiq Khan as minister for cohesion. The MP for Gloucester will launch the Sikh Friends of Labour group in Parliament on April 30.

Dhanda said: “In an ideal world all the various Sikh groups would be able to work together on this, that is unlikely to happen.

“I hope the regulations are light-touch and not too high-profile. The last thing Sikhs need is front page headlines about the right to wear ceremonial knives, which will misrepresent our faith to people who don’t understand the significance of wearing the kirpan."

http://www.easterneye.eu/news.html?groupId...newsId=5109#top

Waheguru, Guru Kirpa i was aloud on the london eye with my Kirpan, the african who was searching me said Fateh to me so i was very lucky! And at the theory test centre they saw my Kirpan sticking out of my jumper but i changed the subject when he questioned me about it haha Dhan Guru Nanak!