Building A New Computer

Papi

So I'm looking to build a new desktop, I would use it to encode/decode and watch HD videos; may also play some games; stream HD and non-HD movies through a Media Server. So far this is what I have come up with:

• 500W PSU
  • Q9550 CPU; 2.83 GHz quad core with 12 MB cache. I don't want to go with the i7 architecture as it is first generation still
  • 64bit architecture as that will allow more memory for running programs (32 bit or not)
  • 4GB or RAM initially, with the option to add additional 4GB in the future (I doubt additional memory will be needed
  • Plan to run Windows 7 on it

I can not decide which motherboard to go with! It's driving me nuts. Once I decide on a motherboard, I can then tackle the video card issue.

If someone with more knowledge of hardware could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fateh Ji

What is your budget firstly..

Also - with regards to i7, i have built a few beastly gaming machines with i7 processors recently for a client, they have improved the archictecture immensely recently and its very stable and works a charm... so dont rule it out, its just a matter of you being prepared to try it out.

Add me on msn if you want to talk further about i7 and other hardware - i have in depth and strong hardware and software knowledge and have been working the field for a few years.

Id be more than happy to give you any advise if needed

Look forward to hearing from you

Fateh Ji

Ok so i dummy quoted two hypothetical machines, one with the i7 architecture and one with quad core. Here are the specs

ANTEC Sonata III Quiet Super Mini Tower w/ EarthWatts 500W, eSATA - $149.99

Intel Core™ i7 Processor 920 2.66GHz w/ 8MB Cache - $339.99

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R w/ TripleDDR3 2000, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, PCI-E 2.0, CrossFireX / SLI - $229.99

Seagate 1TB Barracuda ES.2 SATA II w/ 32MB Cache - $229.99

Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 1GB PCI-E w/ DVI, HDMI - $189.99

Kingston ValueRAM 4GB PC3-10600 DDR3 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 2GB) - $94.99

Total: $1,296.69

======================================

ANTEC Sonata III Quiet Super Mini Tower w/ EarthWatts 500W, eSATA - $149.99

Intel Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550 2.83GHz w/ 12MB Cache - $269.99

Gigabyte GA-EG45M-DS2H w/ DualDDR2 1066, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, PCI-E, HDMI, Blu-ray - $149.99

Kingston ValueRAM 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM Kit (2 x 2GB) - $69.99

SEAGATE 1.5TB Barracuda 7200.11 SATA II w/ 32MB Cache - $139.99

Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 1GB GDDR3 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-Out - $119.99

Total: $944.94

The quad core is quite a bit cheaper than i7, even with a more expensive video card and bigger HD. Processor and mobo is most of the cost savings here I suppose. Speaking of video cards, I have heard good things about nVidia, are they generally considered the best out there? I would be playing HD movies and games with it. Do I need to go for the dual video card setup (SLI or Crossfire)? Apparantly ATI has some issues.

the more cache the faster the processing speed. cache is like a type of memory - the more the better
That's what I thought as well.

A lot of the stuff I quoted is out of stock at the shop :( I'll have to look at other places, I'm thinking of Dell right now.

mmmmm dell are value for money but the only way they can do that is to strip certain chips off of components - so they make em "less adequate". thats the only way they can obtain parts cheap enough to make a profit

aside from that i like dell but not for power machines... custom build all the way for that