So What Was It That You Were Talking About?

Mehtab Singh

There are a lot of individuals who think it is a blessing to help people out and try to inspire, encourage or motivate them into Sikhi. They feel good to talk to people and console them, and tell them that Gurujee will look out for them, that whatever Gurujee does is best for us, that whatever happens is His Will. It is always so cool to tell people stuff that sounds so nice to hear/read.

But then one day Gurujee smiles, and decides to test this person, and see if he/she can actually stand up to what he/she has been telling other people. This is when you can see for yourself if this individual is genuine of phony. A genuine one would hold onto Gurujee's feet, surrender to Him, and Maharaj would carry him/her across and keep his/her honor. A phony one would freak out, weep, whine, wail, scream, complain, yell, and repeatedly ask "why me?" That is when your fate, destiny, karams and vikaars, all laugh in your face and ask you "Is that it? Is that all you are made of? You sounded all big, now what?"

khn khwvn iehu kIriq krlw ]

kehan kehaavan eihu keerath karalaa ||

People talk on and on about Him; they consider this to be praise of God.

kQn khn qy mukqw gurmuiK koeI ivrlw ]3]

kathhan kehan thae mukathaa guramukh koee viralaa ||3||

But rare indeed is the Gurmukh, who is above this mere talk. ||3||

I belong to the 2nd category, of the phony ones. The true Gurmukh doesn't talk much, yet stands strong as a solid rock no matter what kind of storm he/she has to face. Coming on an online Sikh forum, or chatting online to someone about Sikhi is so easy and so cool. You can talk all you want and try to get someone into Sikhi, or back to Sikhi. And thats good, you are helping someone. But such people like myself need to watch out. Because the day when the tables turn, and Maharaj decides to see what you are made of, that is when your actual potential will be put to the fire test. Even gold has to pass through fire to be certified as pure gold. What made you think you were an exception?

suhylw khnu khwvnu ]

suhaelaa kehan kehaavan ||

It is easy to speak and talk,

qyrw ibKmu Bwvnu ]1] rhwau ]

thaeraa bikham bhaavan ||1|| rehaao ||

but it is difficult to accept Your Will. ||1||Pause||

If everyone could accept His Will, His Hukam so easily, this world would not remain "the world", it would become a carbon copy of Sachkhand. Maharaj tells us again and again in Bani, that accepting His Hukam is as hard as close to impossible. He also says that it is way too hard to recite His name.

AwKix AauKw swcw nwau ]

aakhan aoukhaa saachaa naao ||

It is so difficult to chant the True Name.

Well then, what to do? Who can recite His Naam?

sy ismrih ijn Awip ismrwey ]

sae simarehi jin aap simaraaeae ||

They alone remember Him in meditation, whom He inspires to meditate.

And what about people like me?

glNØI AsI cMgIAw AwcwrI burIAwh ]

gala(n)aee asee cha(n)geeaa aachaaree bureeaah ||

We are good at talking, but our actions are bad.

mnhu kusuDw kwlIAw bwhir ictvIAwh ]

manahu kusudhhaa kaaleeaa baahar chittaveeaah ||

Mentally, we are impure and black, but outwardly, we appear white.

rIsw kirh iqnwVIAw jo syvih dru KVIAwh ]

reesaa karih thinaarreeaa jo saevehi dhar kharreeaah ||

We imitate those who stand and serve at the Lord's Door.

Its very easy to talk big to others when things are alright. The real deal is how you deal with life when He puts you in a particular test.

Avr aupdysY Awip n krY ]

avar oupadhaesai aap n karai ||

One who does not practice what he preaches to others,

Awvq jwvq jnmY mrY ]

aavath jaavath janamai marai ||

shall come and go in reincarnation, through birth and death.

Am I ready for this?

So who should we talk to then? Who can really help us out, just by talking to?

Bhagat Kabeer Ji in Raag Gond on Ang 870

kbIr jI Gru 1

kabeer jee ghar 1

Kabeer Jee, First House:

<> siqgur pRswid ]

ik oa(n)kaar sathigur prasaadh ||

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

sMqu imlY ikCu sunIAY khIAY ]

sa(n)th milai kishh suneeai keheeai ||

When you meet a Saint, talk to him and listen.

imlY AsMqu msit kir rhIAY ]1]

milai asa(n)th masatt kar reheeai ||1||

Meeting with an unsaintly person, just remain silent. ||1||

bwbw bolnw ikAw khIAY ]

baabaa bolanaa kiaa keheeai ||

O father, if I speak, what words should I utter?

jYsy rwm nwm riv rhIAY ]1] rhwau ]

jaisae raam naam rav reheeai ||1|| rehaao ||

Speak such words, by which you may remain absorbed in the Name of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

sMqn isau boly aupkwrI ]

sa(n)than sio bolae oupakaaree ||

Speaking with the Saints, one becomes generous.

mUrK isau boly JK mwrI ]2]

moorakh sio bolae jhakh maaree ||2||

To speak with a fool is to babble uselessly. ||2||

bolq bolq bFih ibkwrw ]

bolath bolath badtehi bikaaraa ||

By speaking and only speaking, corruption only increases.

ibnu boly ikAw krih bIcwrw ]3]

bin bolae kiaa karehi beechaaraa ||3||

If I do not speak, what can the poor wretch do? ||3||

khu kbIr CUCw Gtu bolY ]

kahu kabeer shhooshhaa ghatt bolai ||

Says Kabeer, the empty pitcher makes noise,

BirAw hoie su kbhu n folY ]4]1]

bhariaa hoe s kabahu n ddolai ||4||1||

but that which is full makes no sound. ||4||1||

I am the "shhooshhaa" that Bhagat Kabeer ji is talking about here.

So, what was it that we were talking about? Never mind that, lets just try to act on it, but only by surrendering to Him, and knowing deep down that He is making us follow His path.

Enough of talking the talk, time to walk the walk.

May He make us walk!

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz

you hit the nail on the head on this one, many ppl that i started to talk to on the forum were pressuring me to wear a dastaar and were forcing me to rush things, i knew i wanted to one day live by rehit and take amrit but these ppl were like "peer pressuring" online or something

theres a diff in insipring someone by talking about our guru or showing them shabads or kirtan online vs telling them to keep dastaar, stop cutting hair, when will u do this, you shoudl do it now, i wont talk to u if u dont etc etc that is just lame and these ppl really do not realize wat sikhi really is

there are also certain groups of youth here where i live who do the same, they force or scare you into sikhi, a forced religion is no religion, we dont need quantity we need quality, i dont think these kinds of ppl realize what kind of turmoil or pain they put others thru using their pressure and twisted ways to make more sikhs...they really shud back up and grow up and look within themselves first

thank you mehtab singh for posting this, its like you took the words out of my heart that i cudnt express and presented it so eloquently, thank u!

The reason I posted it is because I realized I wasn't "solid" enough to stand like a firm rock when my own "suggestions", "advices" and "consolations" given to others over the years backfired at me.

"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." :lol:

- Homer Simpson

• 3 months later...

It helped abit but I have this feeling that 'I'm the victim of hate'....all I want to do is be me...just so hard recently you mentioned:

The real challenge is to stand firm like a rock

Not caring if you face insults or mock

Thats where I'm collapsing. No matter how many stupid things we've done in life....all I want is guru jee's forgiveness, nothing more....we dont get this body again and agian.....we've been through chuarasi....I hate myself if I upset another over small disputes.....vaheguru save me.