Does Anyone Here Jog Daily? R There Any Amritdharis Here Who Swim?

Paneer Monster

Vgjkkvgjkf

I am approaching my mid 20s and I am seriously unhealthy. I have started jogging daily at a slow and steady pace. Fortunately there is a local singhni in the same situation as me so we started jogging together daily after amritvela.

hopefully one day ill be a record breaker like our friend fauja singh ji

faujaji.jpg

I find that whilst jogging I get a temperory ache at the bottom sides of my stomach (particularly on the lett side). Is this normal? Should I seek medical advice? Or should I post my issues on a health n fitness forum? :p

Also, I used to be a good swimmer, I could swim on my front and back. Unfortionatly due to the low standards of maintaing swimming pools inc entral London I have not been swimming for about 7 years. Again, ive been fortionate enough to have access to a private pool twice a week after its been cleaned with chlorine etc.

Since keeping kesh I have not been swimming. I would like to know if there are any apritdhari veere / bhene who swim? And if so, how do they manage panj k’s.

Satguru Sahib Rakha

PM

vgjkkvgjkf

First off, let me congratulate you on starting a physical activity :) Now, I would say don't jog daily, 3-4 times/week is enough. This applies specifically to people living in western countries as a lot of times people run on pavement, that is not good for your joints.

I find that whilst jogging I get a temperory ache at the bottom sides of my stomach (particularly on the lett side). Is this normal?
That is your diaphragm (I think lungs as well) expanding to give more oxygen during exercise. It's normal and will subside over time as your stamina and endurance increase and your body adapts to using the supplied oxygen more efficiently. Take it slow in the beginning and listen your body, you have plenty of time to add intensity later on.

Good on you for taking up a regular physical exercise! You are in your 20s and this is a critical marker in your life to get fit for your future benefit. Keep it up and you will reap rewards. Weight will probably come off in the first 2months and thereafter there is a plateau - work through it and do not get bored with your activity. A jogging partner is a real motivation, as long as you are similarily matched from an exercise tolerance point of view.

The pain in your abdomen is not dangerous and its normal - its referred to as a 'stitch.' No one knows the mechanism of it, but a common belief is that the organs which are suspended from the underbelly of your diaphragm endure traction forces as you jog and/or breathe hard. It does improve with fitness and to me that means you need to push yourself further to get that stitch back - a bit like 'no pain, no gain.'

Like it has been mentioned, you only need to jog 3-4 times a week, as rest and recovery is important in a training regime. Make sure you have decent trainer shoes - if overweight, then this is even more important and be prepared to spend the decent cash on them as well! Most good sports retailers have in store advisors on which trainers suite what activity amd which ones provide extra support etc.

Occassionally change your routine eg jog at different times of the day, change route/ scenery, take a break mid-jog in a quiet place and do rapid sequence push-ups/squats for 5mins before jogging on.

Remember rehydration - you will need to carry water and again there are all sorts of ways to do this now - a good one is top have a water pack that you strap on and access the water through a flexible spout as you jog. Again sports stores or hiking store stock these.

Jogging is great because its free. However do try and join a gym at some point and add resistance training to your fitness regime - ideally engage in hiring a personal trainer for 6 months to a year to get you through specific targets and aims.

Again - congratulations on your fitness drive. You see so many in our community who are grossly fitness-lacking and we are prone to that as our genetics have programmed us to be warriors or tillers of the land, rather than the what the modern Western lifestyle offers us.