Nri Wins Right To ‘Open’ Cremation In Uk

Azaad

An Indian-origin social and spiritual leader in the UK today won the right to be cremated in an open air funeral pyre, according to Hindu rituals, ending a prolonged legal battle.

In a landmark judgement, the Britain's Court of Appeal granted Davender Ghai, 71, the right to be cremated after his death in an open-air funeral pyre. Delighted at the ruling, Ghai said the verdict had "breathed new life into an old man's dreams. I always maintained that I wanted to clarify the law, not disobey or disrespect it." Since open air cremations anywhere outside a crematorium have been prohibited in the Britain under the 1902 Cremation Act, many Indian-origin families in Britain take bodies of their deceased relatives to India for cremation according to Hindu rites.

Ghai has been campaigning for the right to be cremated according to his Hindu beliefs for several years and sought legal redress. His bid for Britain to allow open-air funeral pyres was opposed by the Law Secretary on the ground that people might be "upset and offended" by pyres and "find it abhorrent that human remains were being burned in this way." In a statement to the court, Ghai had said: "I will not deny my claim is provocative, least of all in a nation as notoriously squeamish towards death as our own. "However, I honestly do not believe natural cremation grounds would offend public decency - as long as they were discreet, designated sites far from the urban and the residential areas," Ghai said. In 2006, the Newcastle City Council had forbidden him from organising Hindu-style cremation.

An Indian-origin social and spiritual leader in the UK today won the right to be cremated in an open air funeral pyre, according to Hindu rituals, ending a prolonged legal battle.

In a landmark judgement, the Britain's Court of Appeal granted Davender Ghai, 71, the right to be cremated after his death in an open-air funeral pyre. Delighted at the ruling, Ghai said the verdict had "breathed new life into an old man's dreams. I always maintained that I wanted to clarify the law, not disobey or disrespect it." Since open air cremations anywhere outside a crematorium have been prohibited in the Britain under the 1902 Cremation Act, many Indian-origin families in Britain take bodies of their deceased relatives to India for cremation according to Hindu rites.

Ghai has been campaigning for the right to be cremated according to his Hindu beliefs for several years and sought legal redress. His bid for Britain to allow open-air funeral pyres was opposed by the Law Secretary on the ground that people might be "upset and offended" by pyres and "find it abhorrent that human remains were being burned in this way." In a statement to the court, Ghai had said: "I will not deny my claim is provocative, least of all in a nation as notoriously squeamish towards death as our own. "However, I honestly do not believe natural cremation grounds would offend public decency - as long as they were discreet, designated sites far from the urban and the residential areas," Ghai said. In 2006, the Newcastle City Council had forbidden him from organising Hindu-style cremation.

Is this not a case of a group within our English community asking for special privileges, it's not a custom in British culture to deal with death in this way.

To many this will feel like religion is trying to become a dominant force in a society that has made religion take a back seat and not the driving seat.

But the real problem is Islam, which in a way has spoilt things because it has made many of us feel that we are under siege from religion.

This one thing on it's own is not really a problem and most people would say, well if that's what they want, fine, but coupled with the demand that we allow school boys to carry knives is worrying, is this the start of something.

Is it a departure from the one law for all.

Arthur.

Society without religion will be in chaos. Look at the history of USSR. Religion is important and steps should be taken by government to protect "Freedom of Religion" at all costs.

Sikh Funeral Rights

In Sikhism death is considered a natural process and is seen as a transient stage towards the complete unity with God. Sikhs believe in re-incarnation. Cremation is the preferred method of disposal, although if it is not possible any other methods such as burial or submergence at sea are acceptable. Sikhs do not erect monuments over the remains of the dead. Worship of the dead with gravestones etc. is discouraged because the body is considered to be only the shell while the person's soul is their real essence....

---

So it is important to note that to Sikhs, open air cremation doesn't hold any significance at all. Hindu groups may include Sikhs' name in it as they might want to show their strength in numbers. If in Hindu religion, open cremation is a must to have then as an individual Sikh, I would support them.

Kirpan (sword)

The Kirpan is a religious sword that encapsulates an initiated Sikh's solemn obligation of courage and self-defense. It denotes dignity and self-reliance, the capacity and readiness to always defend the weak and the oppressed. It helps sustain one's martial spirit and the determination to sacrifice oneself in order to defend truth, oppression and Sikh moral values. All Initiated Sikhs are mandated to wear a Kirpan on their body.

---

Baptized Sikhs are required to wear kirpan. I don't know much about UK nor its constitution but here in united states (California), Sikh students are allowed to wear kirpan under certain conditions (like blunt blade etc ). But the point is that there are ways to handle such situations, but it requires other parties to have extensive knowledge about all major religions & cultures. We won't understand the subject of rocket science unless we are rocket scientists ourselves. In the same way, we won't understand other religion's issues unless we know their history and understand their lifestyle. So it is not an easy job for everyone to understand these issues. If understanding such issues was so easy, then we wouldn't see US/UK fighting against two countries. (same point applies to the other party too)

Other issues

Now issues like sharia law etc are not a good choice at all. If one is living in other adopted country then he/she should compromise with their system no matter where, how and when you came. Extreme cases like sharia law should not even be in effect in Muslim countries (as sikh view point). Just like few hundred years ago, when Punjab was booming and considered as a top nation in the world, immigrants from France, UK and even America came to be a part of Khalsa Sarkar (Khalsa Government) under Mahraja Ranjit Singh. They were told that to be a part of khalsa sarkar, they have to follow particular dress code and follow Punjabi culture BUT have full RELIGIOUS FREEDOM. Although at then end, Khalsa was Betrayed by British India, but we are proud of Khalsa Sarkar's open practical policies running through several decades. I am talking about the time when no non-white could buy/sell/trade anything freely in other countries such as uk, usa etc..

Is this not a case of a group within our English community asking for special privileges, it's not a custom in British culture to deal with death in this way.

It is a case of a group asking for equal privileges not special privileges. You had special privileges perhaps. It has been custom in British culture to dictate culture with the barrel of a gun, this person has progressed human culture using legal means.

To many this will feel like religion is trying to become a dominant force in a society that has made religion take a back seat and not the driving seat.

But the real problem is Islam, which in a way has spoilt things because it has made many of us feel that we are under siege from religion.

This one thing on it's own is not really a problem and most people would say, well if that's what they want, fine, but coupled with the demand that we allow school boys to carry knives is worrying, is this the start of something.

This is the start of an alien invasion, better buy property on Mars.

This is closer to one law for all. Prior to this there was one law for some and the same law against some.

Society without religion will be in chaos. Look at the history of USSR. Religion is important and steps should be taken by government to protect "Freedom of Religion" at all costs.

Sikh Funeral Rights

In Sikhism death is considered a natural process and is seen as a transient stage towards the complete unity with God. Sikhs believe in re-incarnation. Cremation is the preferred method of disposal, although if it is not possible any other methods such as burial or submergence at sea are acceptable. Sikhs do not erect monuments over the remains of the dead. Worship of the dead with gravestones etc. is discouraged because the body is considered to be only the shell while the person's soul is their real essence....

---

So it is important to note that to Sikhs, open air cremation doesn't hold any significance at all. Hindu groups may include Sikhs' name in it as they might want to show their strength in numbers. If in Hindu religion, open cremation is a must to have then as an individual Sikh, I would support them.

Kirpan (sword)

The Kirpan is a religious sword that encapsulates an initiated Sikh's solemn obligation of courage and self-defense. It denotes dignity and self-reliance, the capacity and readiness to always defend the weak and the oppressed. It helps sustain one's martial spirit and the determination to sacrifice oneself in order to defend truth, oppression and Sikh moral values. All Initiated Sikhs are mandated to wear a Kirpan on their body.

---

Baptized Sikhs are required to wear kirpan. I don't know much about UK nor its constitution but here in united states (California), Sikh students are allowed to wear kirpan under certain conditions (like blunt blade etc ). But the point is that there are ways to handle such situations, but it requires other parties to have extensive knowledge about all major religions & cultures. We won't understand the subject of rocket science unless we are rocket scientists ourselves. In the same way, we won't understand other religion's issues unless we know their history and understand their lifestyle. So it is not an easy job for everyone to understand these issues. If understanding such issues was so easy, then we wouldn't see US/UK fighting against two countries. (same point applies to the other party too)

Other issues

Now issues like sharia law etc are not a good choice at all. If one is living in other adopted country then he/she should compromise with their system no matter where, how and when you came. Extreme cases like sharia law should not even be in effect in Muslim countries (as sikh view point). Just like few hundred years ago, when Punjab was booming and considered as a top nation in the world, immigrants from France, UK and even America came to be a part of Khalsa Sarkar (Khalsa Government) under Mahraja Ranjit Singh. They were told that to be a part of khalsa sarkar, they have to follow particular dress code and follow Punjabi culture BUT have full RELIGIOUS FREEDOM. Although at then end, Khalsa was Betrayed by British India, but we are proud of Khalsa Sarkar's open practical policies running through several decades. I am talking about the time when no non-white could buy/sell/trade anything freely in other countries such as uk, usa etc..

I would dispute the Idea that it would be chaos without religion, it is more a case that it is chaos with religion, most of the troubles around the world are because of religion.

I see no real problem with open air cremation as it seems to be a very real requirement of your religion and thanks for the explanation.

I can see a problem with knives as unlike the states we are not a weapon carrying nation, I've heard suggested that the blade could be welded to the sheath, is that a solution.

We do have a problem here of youths and knife crime. I do realise that there have not been any stabbings by young Sikhs, so I'm not making any accusations.

But weapon carrying is forbidden here and all should adhere to this.

I agree with you re sharia law but all religions in the UK are bound and should be bound by national law.

I have no religion and therefore have some difficulty understanding those who do.

Arthur.

It is a case of a group asking for equal privileges not special privileges. You had special privileges perhaps. It has been custom in British culture to dictate culture with the barrel of a gun, this person has progressed human culture using legal means.

This is the start of an alien invasion, better buy property on Mars.

This is closer to one law for all. Prior to this there was one law for some and the same law against some.

Yes, I realise that he has campaigned and won a legal battle and good luck to him.

The British empire was no worse than all the previous empires in the world and is history. Britain also did some things that today can be considered good, like the abolition of slavery and it should also be remembered that the working classes here were treated just as badly as anyone else and we had to fight inch by inch for our freedoms.

Freedoms that are now under attack by our own government and some elements of Islam.

The reason I came on this forum was to understand, not to offend, so no I won't be buying any land on Mars thanks.

Which of our laws was against some?

Cheers,

Arthur.