Urgent Same Surname Wedding

Guest Sikh helper

Guest Sikh helper

WJKWJF Sangat Ji,

I don't know what to do and can not live with this in my heart for the rest of my life, I have spoken to the gurdwara about this but have been told to go away. I think it is against the sikh rules but am not sure so have come here for help.

I have just come to know that there is a wedding at *mod edit* between two people of the same surname ( I have been told they are cousins by Im not sure).

To top this of this is the *mod edit* daughter, even on the wedding cards they have not put the surname of the boy.

Why does this gurdwara do this for, I remember not long ago the same gurdwara was going to do a wedding between to faiths...

Mod Note: Personal details edited. please see the rules/guidelines for more information.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖਾਲਸਾ ||

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫਤਹਿ||

Sikh helper Jeeo,

Raag Soohee, Panna 731

ਰਾਗੁ ਸੂਹੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੪ ਘਰੁ ੧

ਹਮਰੀ ਜਾਤਿ ਪਾਤਿ ਗੁਰੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹਮ ਵੇਚਿਓ ਸਿਰੁ ਗੁਰ ਕੇ||

hamaree jaath paath gur sathigur ham vaechiou sir gur kae ||

The Guru, the True Guru, is my social status and honor; I have sold my head to the Guru.

1)Surname has no value in Sikhi. Sure a lot of people use it. But as per ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ’s hukam, we are supposed to use Singh for Males, and Kaur for Females. This applies to ALL sikhs.

2)So even if they are using same last name, maybe they are not related. Some very common last name from punjab include; Dhillon, Gill, Sidhu, Sandhu, Bhullar, etc.

Last name does not always signify the pind or village that they are from.

As far as my 2-cents go, I think that we should just let them do whatever they are doing. There are way more important things that we as Sikhs, as a whole, as a panth, need to be worried about. This is the least of our worries.

If the parents are okay with it, the people getting married are okay with it, then we should not worry.

ਭੁਲ ਚੂਕ ਮਾਫ ਕਰਨੀ ਜੀਓ |

Bhul Chuk Maaf... Daas is no one to say anything.

-ਇਕ ਮੂਰਖ ਦਿਮਾਗ |

-Just my 2-cents from a Moorakh Dimaag.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖਾਲਸਾ ||

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫਤਹਿ||

Guru ji's mukhtee nama states that a Gursikh cannot marry into their own surname or the maternal nanakay surname.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖਾਲਸਾ ||

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫਤਹਿ||

Mokham Singh Veerjeeo,

This would not be an issue, if all Singhs used Singh. and All Kaurs used Kaur. We are the ones that create this problem for our own selves by using surnames, and then when something like this happens, we critize people for it. In fact, we, the people that use our own surnames, are the ones that deserve this critizism.

-ਇਕ ਮੂਰਖ

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖਾਲਸਾ ||

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫਤਹਿ||