Inspiring Sikh Youth

Guest harminderkaur

Guest harminderkaur

I have been assigned a job to write something to put on plaques that will be given to 50 kids that finished their first year of Gurmukhi class. This kids made an effort to learn Japji Sahib da path by heart, we have kids that are up to 15 pauri and hopefully by end of the year they will know the whole Japji Sahib Path by heart and can move on to Anand Sahib. When these kids started they didn't even know Mool Manta and today they are up to 15 Pauri by heart. These kids also learned how to read and write Gurmukhi.

Once a month these kids would go to Darbar Hall and do path for the sangat (how much ever they knew by heart), each month a group of 4-5 kids would take turns doing Chora Saab seva and another group would prepare speechs on Sikhism which they would present to the sangat.

These kids did so much and now its time to honor them. I don't have words to honor them. That is why I am asking for your help to come up with the right words to put on the plaques to encourage them to continue on this path.

-Harminder Kaur

Phen Ji

Thank yoo so much for your post. I watched a tv programme in India where children in Mata Kaula Academy are encouraged to memorise Gurbani. Upon completion these children are then brought onto the stage and the stage secretary/teacher tells the sanagt that this child has memorised Sri Jap Ji Sahib,Sri Sukhmani Sahib,Sri Aasa di vaar etc.......

How about presenting them with certificates on stage?

Anything that will make them feel that they have achieved something special and to keep the interest alive.

How about a web page or blog with their photos on it etc?

Guest harminderkaur

Phen Ji

Thank yoo so much for your post. I watched a tv programme in India where children in Mata Kaula Academy are encouraged to memorise Gurbani. Upon completion these children are then brought onto the stage and the stage secretary/teacher tells the sanagt that this child has memorised Sri Jap Ji Sahib,Sri Sukhmani Sahib,Sri Aasa di vaar etc.......

How about presenting them with certificates on stage?

Anything that will make them feel that they have achieved something special and to keep the interest alive.

How about a web page or blog with their photos on it etc?

These kids are going to be presented with multitude of gifts infront of the sangat in 2 weeks. A day before this we are taking them on a picnic to celebrate and teach them traditional punjabi games. The kids impressed the whole gurudwara so much, the committee is putting together a punjabi basketball team for the boys and a yoga class (Kundalini Yoga where you mediate on Gurbani) for the girls.

One of the gifts we are presenting our plaques and we need to write something on them to encourage the kids to keep up the good work. I need help coming up with the words.

Guest harminderkaur

Some of the wording may be:

Tusi panth de bhavik ho (you are the future of the panth).

nice words, will try to use them. Thank You

Guest harminderkaur

Hows this?

"Walking on the path of Sikhism is not easy but yet you walked it. You not only walked it but you walked with you head held high. This award is presented to (NAME) for participating in Dasmesh Darbar Academy. May Waheguru always keep you on this path. "

Hows this?

"Walking on the path of Sikhism is not easy but yet you walked it. You not only walked it but you walked with you head held high. This award is presented to (NAME) for participating in Dasmesh Darbar Academy. May Waheguru always keep you on this path. "

Great wording Phen Ji. There is also a punjabi saying: "Bani Kant , Paisa Ghant". (Just as cash in hand is more useful than money in banks etc.. , so Gurbani is more readily available when memorised). When Gurbani is memorised one can recite it even when it is not practical to sit down with a Pothi Sahib.

Guest harminderkaur

Great wording Phen Ji. There is also a punjabi saying: "Bani Kant , Paisa Ghant". (Just as cash in hand is more useful than money in banks etc.. , so Gurbani is more readily available when memorised). When Gurbani is memorised one can recite it even when it is not practical to sit down with a Pothi Sahib.

great saying, I love it!

wjkk wjkf bhen ji HarminderKaur I think it is a magnificent achievement attained by these youngsters. I thought some sections on bani may be of inspiration for your wording:

The Word is the Guru: one who gathers its melody in the consciousness is the disciple.'

(Ramkali, M. 1, Siddha Goshti : Guru Granth Sahib Jee)

'Through faith the mind and intellect find concentration and all the stages of enlightenment are revealed to the seeker.'

(Jap : Guru Granth Sahib Jee)

'Kabir says, what you have to do tomorrow, do it today. What you have to do today, do it right now.'

(Kabir, Shlokas : Guru Granth Sahib Jee)

'Nectar-sweet is the speech of my God, my Friend. I have seen with care, His Word is never bitter. The Perfect Master knows not a bitter Word and does not look at my faults. For, it is His innate nature to purify the sinners and to reward even an iota of virtue.'

(Suhi M. 5, Chhant : Guru Granth Sahib Jee)

'You are our only Father. We are Your children. You are our only Teacher. Listen, O my Friend, my Guru, my life would be a Sacrifice to You if You make me see the Vision of my Master.'

(Sorath, M. 5 : Guru Granth Sahib Jee)