Gujri Mahalla 5

Dalvir

WaheguruJiKaKhalsaWaheguruJiKiFateh

Sangat Ji, I had a question regarding a Tuk we all read during Rehras Sahib. The Tuk is:

ਰਾਗੁ ਗੂਜਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥

ਕਾਹੇ ਰੇ ਮਨ ਚਿਤਵਹਿ ਉਦਮੁ ਜਾ ਆਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਪਰਿਆ ॥

ਸੈਲ ਪਥਰ ਮਹਿ ਜੰਤ ਉਪਾਏ ਤਾ ਕਾ ਰਿਜਕੁ ਆਗੈ ਕਰਿ ਧਰਿਆ ॥੧॥

Raag Goojaree, Fifth Mehl:

Why, O mind, do you plot and plan, when the Dear Lord Himself provides for your care?

From rocks and stones He created living beings; He places their nourishment before them. ||1||

Scientifically, life wasn't created through rocks and stones. Therefore, my question is, what exactly is this Tuk stating? Is the English translation accurate? If not, what should it be?

I hope I'm not looking at this too narrowly.

Thank you,

WaheguruJiKaKhalsaWaheguruJiKiFateh

This is one clear proof of falsity of English translation and how some consider Gurbani’s message to be whatever English translation says. Meanings are as follows:

ਕਾਹੇ ਰੇ ਮਨ ਚਿਤਵਹਿ ਉਦਮੁ ਜਾ ਆਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਪਰਿਆ ॥

O mind, why do you indulge in thinking about earning your own food when God Himself has made all the arrangements. God Himself is doing this work.

ਸੈਲ ਪਥਰ ਮਹਿ ਜੰਤ ਉਪਾਏ ਤਾ ਕਾ ਰਿਜਕੁ ਆਗੈ ਕਰਿ ਧਰਿਆ ॥੧॥

Even a small bug (ਜੰਤ) in his creation trapped in (ਮਹਿ) the stone (ਸੈਲ ਪਥਰ) (with no way to get out) gets its food (then you should not be worried about it).

Guru Sahib is teaching the mind to indulge in Naam instead of worrying about earning food. Guru Sahib is saying that since God gives us life, He Himself provides the food for us. When a baby is born, milk is provided and when the baby grows older he gets teeth to be able to chew solid food. Although we should be earning our food the honest way but we should not worry. It is not about earning food that Guru Sahib is against but worrying about it. Gurbani teaches to be absorbed in Naam while doing our job and always remain “veparvaah”.

• 4 weeks later...

You have to get the arth in Punjabi the english translaton is so wrong

it does not mean God made the world out of rocks

here is Prof.Sahib Singh Jis arth

Oh my

Raag Goojaree, Fifth Mehl: Why, O mind, do you plot and plan, when the Dear Lord Himself provides for your care? From rocks and stones He created living beings; He places their nourishment before them. ||1||

ਹੇ ਮਨ! (ਤੇਰੀ ਖ਼ਾਤਰ) ਜਿਸ ਆਹਰ ਵਿਚ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਆਪ ਲੱਗਾ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ, ਉਸ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਤੂੰ ਕਿਉਂ (ਸਦਾ) ਸੋਚਾਂ-ਫ਼ਿਕਰ ਕਰਦਾ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈਂ? ਜੇਹੜੇ ਜੀਵ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨੇ ਚਿਟਾਨਾਂ ਤੇ ਪੱਥਰਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਪੈਦਾ ਕੀਤੇ ਹਨ, ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦਾ ਭੀ ਰਿਜ਼ਕ ਉਸ ਨੇ (ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਪੈਦਾ ਕਰਨ ਤੋਂ) ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਹੀ ਬਣਾ ਰਖਿਆ ਹੈ।੧।

This means that oh mind why do you worry about ur well being wehn God himself provides, God made creatures that live in stones (different insects ect) and even those creatures who live under n in rocks, God provides for them

this does not mean that the world is created from rock

but when we look at science creation started with the big bang

elements came from stars

so in a way the stuff that makes rocks and soil and stars and fire and sky and water ect....

all that stuff is within us