Why Is Guru Sahib Depicted This Way In This Painting?

Vahejeo

I know what you mean regarding the 'feeling' of the paintings from that era. They are quite unsettling although I like the grandeur and style of the art. I'm sure with Guru's kirpa, the painters would've been inspired to depict the Gurus as they truly were. Its all conjecture and fantasy of course, but I just thought that nobody to-date has produced any paintings of our Sikh history on par with the masterpieces of the Italian masters. If anyone has then I stand corrected and I'd love to see some examples.

Yeh I agree, the good paintings are very awe inspiring, and very realistic, that's one of the things that freak me out, that whole whichever way u walk their eyes seem to be following you thing. Some of their religious paintings are absolutely stunning and I'd love to see pics painted like that.

We need more great inspiring sikh pics, of great proportions aswell, some of those renaissance pics are huge! We need a sikh celing mural depicting our gurus and our shaheeds and their white lions!

Well for a start we, as individual families, and a community have to foster talent to reach great heights. We have to invest with encouragement and resources. Right now, with the materialistic worldview of most apnay, they would probably view a child's career choice as an artist as a very risky one, they'd prefer doctors, lawyers etc.

On the other side is the fact that artists need to be able to support themselves and their families. How many talented artists are there out there that simply can't afford to devote as much time as they would like due to financial constraints?

Apnay can be very tight when it comes to these things. Plus we have the whole issue of the Internet which makes replications of images easy to spread for free. You guys have to remember that the renaissance was bankrolled by extremely rich and powerful families, like the Medici. Will we not need equivalents in order for our artist to prosper and grow?

I would love to see Sikh art blossom and to be honest think it will - and possibly is.

When you get a little older you realise just how important Sikh art was in playing a part in transmitting Sikh ideas to you, especially as a child. I remember a bunch of images that I found inspirational growing up.

It is part of our heritage and mode of imparting values. I really enjoy it when young talent comes up and represents Sikh theology and history in new, fresh and inspirational ways.

It is something we need to take more seriously as a community instead of turning our quom into an army of reliable office drones.

Well for a start we, as individual families, and a community have to foster talent to reach great heights. We have to invest with encouragement and resources. Right now, with the materialistic worldview of most apnay, they would probably view a child's career choice as an artist as a very risky one, they'd prefer doctors, lawyers etc.

I was nodding my head wildly in agreement to this. My dream ever since I could remember was to be an artist. I loved drawing and painting, and by the time I was 10 I was pretty awesome even if I do say so myself. But my father was dead against it. He kept saying it was a waste of time and I wouldn't find a good job. I actually had to resort to drawing in secret so that he wouldn't catch me. It wasn't as if I was neglecting my studies because I was a very capable student in other areas too. But art just made me feel alive - it gave me so much joy.

But then life conspired against me and to cut a long story short, I put my pencil and brushes down and I've not touched them since the age of 15. I regret it so much. Had I continued who knows I could've been that 'one guy' who'd produce those Sikhi masterpieces. I guess we'll never find out.

But then life conspired against me and to cut a long story short, I put my pencil and brushes down and I've not touched them since the age of 15. I regret it so much. Had I continued who knows I could've been that 'one guy' who'd produce those Sikhi masterpieces. I guess we'll never find out.

Pick them back up again. I recently have (well pencils anyway) and I'm not even remotely talented.

Don't aim to create a masterpiece or aim for fame, let it flow from your spiritual centre and faith.

Don't let your talents whither away - take your time and develop them. There is nothing to stop you now.

I bought a sketch pad and a pack of drawing pencils a few months ago. It was strange - I just felt compelled to buy them 'just in case'. I guess there's no harm in trying.

Start drawing.

I'm going to start a Sikh art thread somewhere to stimulate talent soon.