Driving Uk

JSinghN

Dear Sangat,

I havent had much opportunity to drive and i get quite nervous when approaching multi lane roundabouts. Would the sangat be kind enough to give me advice based on their experience(s). Would someone kindly explain to me the approach and procedure ie. when taking exits 1, 2, 3 or 4 and what lane to get into for each exit. This would be very much appreciated, to get my driving experience up im driving everyday now everywhere i can think of. However, multi-lane roundabouts leave me a bit nervous, small roundabouts im fine with.

Thank you in advance for your kind messages.

When I was learning to drive, this was a problem for me too. Now its second nature. Personally, this is how I'd approach the problem:

For example if a roundabout has 4 exits, to leave the roundabout on the 1st or 2nd exit I would position myself in the leftmost lane. For the 3rd exit, I'd go for the 2nd approaching (or middle) lane. If the approaching road has a 3rd lane then that's usually the lane to take when leaving on the 4th exit. Sometimes you can use the middle lane for taking the 4th exit too. It all depends on the size of the roundabout and the volume of traffic.

Honestly, you've got to use common sense. Take into consideration the traffic in-front and behind you. Avoid swapping lanes at the last moment as this might cause something to hit you from behind. Its not difficult once you get some practice. Always use indicators if you find yourself in the wrong lane and need to change. More often that not, some kind soul will allow you to move out. Remember to thank them too.

When I was learning to drive, this was a problem for me too. Now its second nature. Personally, this is how I'd approach the problem:

For example if a roundabout has 4 exits, to leave the roundabout on the 1st or 2nd exit I would position myself in the leftmost lane. For the 3rd exit, I'd go for the 2nd approaching (or middle) lane. If the approaching road has a 3rd lane then that's usually the lane to take when leaving on the 4th exit. Sometimes you can use the middle lane for taking the 4th exit too. It all depends on the size of the roundabout and the volume of traffic.

Honestly, you've got to use common sense. Take into consideration the traffic in-front and behind you. Avoid swapping lanes at the last moment as this might cause something to hit you from behind. Its not difficult once you get some practice. Always use indicators if you find yourself in the wrong lane and need to change. More often that not, some kind soul will allow you to move out. Remember to thank them too.

Many thanks, i think my driving is fine but im always striving to get better. Im just going practice like crazy and think well ahead and observe far in advance.

There are very few roundabout approaches with four lanes, mostly they are either 2 lane approaches or 1 lane approach.

If you think of the roundabout as a clock face and you are appraching from 6 o'clock and there are exists at 9 o'clock, 12 o,clock , 3 o'clock and 6 o'clock (returning back where you came from, then :

9 o'clock exit use left hand lane, and can indicate left.

12 o'clock exit (stright ahead) use left or right hand lane, then indicate left as you get to your exit.

3 o'clock exit use right hand lane, indicate right up to 12 o'clock, then indicate left to turn off.

6 o'clock exit use right hand lane , indicate right all the way until just before the exit then indicate left.

Not sure if that explains it any easier, but Kalyugi has explained well.