Non-Sikh'S Questions About Sggs

Hi. I'm a non-Sikh interested in reading the Guru Granth Sahib and am using The Khalsa Consensus Translation as available on sikhs.org. But I'm unfamiliar with the way it's laid out and some of the terminology it uses. I checked out the "Some Technical Terms Used in Gurbani" thread, which helped a lot, but I still have some questions.

If I understand correctly the rahaou means to repeat the previous line which contains the main point of the shabad. But is the rahaou part of one of the other numbered verses? A lot of times there's a number 1 with the "pause". So does this mean the rahaou is the second half of verse 1, or is it considered an altogether separate verse between verses 1 and 2?

What do the words pauri, //, chhant, and salok translate to?

I was able to deduce that first mehl, fourth mehl, etc. refer to the gurus who authored a given piece of gurbani. But what does the word mehl actually translate to? Also, I often see this followed by first house, second house, etc.. It seems reasonable that this might be a way of breaking down the text into smaller sections like chapters or whatever, and it does seem to go in numeric order starting over at one again for each guru, but sometimes I'll see it jump around like from second house to sixth house, which makes me think that maybe I don't really get what the houses really mean.

I've noticed the content of the SGGS is listed differently on various websites, especially in regards to the material at the end. Often I see the Mundavani and the following salok grouped with the Ragmala in a closing section after the final raga, but other times I see them included in the final raga with only the Ragmala outside of the ragas. Is there a correct way?

I'm not sure why it came up as two slashes, but that's supposed to be "vaar"

I was able to deduce that first mehl, fourth mehl, etc. refer to the gurus who authored a given piece of gurbani. But what does the word mehl actually translate to?

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

Any Singhs or Kaurs please correct me if I've got this wrong in anyway...

Dear FeelinKhandaSikh,

The word Mehl translates to area or mansion. I believe this is to acknowledge that the bodies of the 10 Gurus were like houses or areas that contained the Shabad/jot, or through which the shabad came through, that's what made them the Sat Gurus. Guru Nanak Ji used to say to Mardana Ji, please get the Rubab "Dhur Ki Bani Aayie" meaning Gurbani will be coming through my body from Sach Khand (Sach Khand the plain of Truth).

That's why the Gurus are referred to Mehl 1 , 2 3 etc, their bodies were conduits for the Vaheguru's Shabad. As Guru, each Guru from Guru Nanak Dev JI to Guru Granth Sahib jI had the same Jot/sole, only their outwardly appearance is different. This backed up by. "the Guru is the Bani, the Bani is the Guru"

Today, the 11th Final eternal Sat Guru for the Sikhs is Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib jI, for evermore!!

If one of the more learned Sikhs wants to correct me please do!

The word Mehl translates to area or mansion. I believe this is to acknowledge that the bodies of the 10 Gurus were like houses or areas that contained the Shabad/jot, or through which the shabad came through, that's what made them the Sat Gurus. Guru Nanak Ji used to say to Mardana Ji, please get the Rubab "Dhur Ki Bani Aayie" meaning Gurbani will be coming through my body from Sach Khand (Sach Khand the plain of Truth).

I never knew that.

Does that give anyone else chills (in a good way)? Brilliant.

I never knew that.

Does that give anyone else chills (in a good way)? Brilliant.

Thank you, But as I say to anyone who listens to me. Please always get what I say checked out (or get a second opinion from a learned Sikh).

I say this for your protection as my knowledge is limited. And you know what they say... a little bit of knowledge can be very dangerous.

If you do speak to somebody and get a different answer please do let me know, that way we are all learing new things!

• 2 weeks later...

That's really interesting about Mehl meaning palace and that the gurus were just different housings of the same truth/word/light.

I get the Rahou being the central theme of the shabad that is expanded upon by the other pauris. I guess my question is whether it's considered a seperate line. It often has a 1 with it, so is the rahou contained within the first pauri as part of it, or is it a totally seperate line?

What distinguishes saloks from other forms of bani? I've noticed that they are used in the vaar, and occasionally at the end of other sections. Does anyone know what the word salok/shalok/sloak translates to, or what its defining characteristics are?

Ahh, so the houses are musical terms. Thanks!