Baby Name

Guest FutureDaddy

Hi future daddy,

My in laws are Hindu, (I got married to someone who was from hindu family. I was never into religion until a few years back. I'm still more UK / Punjabi than Sikh - but trying to become better). I look like any other asian no kesh etc.

Anyway bruv, what region/state are they from? If there Punjabi hindu, well then all Sikh names will be ok.

End of the day, it will be yours and your partners baby. Offcourse grandparents play a big part. But you want a name you as a couple like. End of the day I don't know why the in laws a making a fuss. If your wife has a Sikh surname, their daughter why wont their grandchild have a sikh forename?

There response is we are not sardar, well that's fair enough your not asking them to be. So why are they asking you to have your child named with their conditions? If you chose a gorah name I bet they wouldn't mind.

Im not sure how religious you are but I would recommend you visit the gurdwara sahib and take the vaak from the hukamnama.

It will give you the first letter too chose a name from. It will have the Guru's blessings.

BTW if your having a girl my baby girl (well 6 now) is called Simran Kaur. I think it's a beautiful name for a girl and has great maeaning.

Thanks for the great replies. I think taking hukamnama is a great idea. I know that her dad was named that way (even though he is Hindu)... so I think that will be a great way to diffuse the situation. I agree that they are not going to tell me what to do... but I still love the guys and want to reach a win/win if I can.

Simran is actually one of the names we were leaning towards... and I agree it is a beautiful name and it has good meaning.

Thanks for all the replies!